Menu

Simple whole-grain biscuit recipe? Any ideas?

I either use half standard whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour, or use all white whole wheat (from white, not red, wheat) flour. These contain cream in lieu of butter or shortening plus liquid.

Cream Biscuits

2 c flour, as above

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp sugar (I use turbinado)

½ tsp salt

1½ c heavy cream

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Add cream and stir just until mixture comes together. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead briefly; press into a round about ½" thick. Cut round into 8 wedges (or use a cutter to get as many as you can) and place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 450° for about 15 minutes.

(Now I'm hungry...) :)

Do you have any cookbooks? Find baking powder or buttermilk biscuits. Follow recipe substituting flour for the flour of your choice.

Whole wheat absorbs more liquid so you might have to up the liquid a tad, but since quickbreads are better with less kneading and mixing, determine how much before you add it. If I add too much, I usually will try to knead it a lot of flour. If not enough, I go with what I have and oh well, it's always good.