Menu

If you were going to plan a trip to New York City...

Well....

last time we went, we followed a map from "You Got Mail" one of our top 3 favorite movies... (nerdy- I know :D). The map showed the places of where they filmed some movie scenes, like Gray's Papaya (mmmm yummy, cheap hot dogs), or the Starbucks they went to, etc.

One of our other favorite movie to watch is Serendipity (with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale) -- there is one scene where they went to an ice cream shop called Serendipity. They serve frozen milk chocolate --- YUM!

I have only been to NY once in my life, if we ever went again - it would be to watch the Broadway show Little Mermaid, and trying to get into the David Letterman Show. Sorry, not much help. :)

Living so close to NYC, you would think my family would go more often. Anyway, definitely Museum of Natural History, Statue of Liberty (you might have to make reservations), Ground Zero, the Seaport, Liberty Science Center (NJ side), Metropolitan Museum of Art, Bronz Zoo, Empire State Building, walking in Times Square, 5th Avenue, plus the plays...enjoy your trip!

Funny you should ask....because this is just what I am trying to do. I have one child, dd11. There are three of us in the family. I don't want to drive in the city.

So. I would stay in a hotel/with friends in an outlying area. Take a bus in and use taxis. Expensive yes, but less hassle on my nerves.

The Met.

The Guggenheim.

The Plaza Hotel. (Hello? Eloise!)

Central Park

Museum of Natural History

A Planetarium

Chinatown

Ellis Island Tour (float by the Statue of Liberty but I have no desire to go in!)

Times Square

Staten Is. Ferry (see Ellis Island)

Southstreet Sea Port

Tavern on the Green

Lower East Side Tenement Museum (because we are discussing immigrants coming to US)

Let's not forget I want to find some cool Indian stores etc...."Little India"~~

Think I"ll get that all done in two days? Nah, me neither.....

HTH,

We (ds8 and myself) just got back from NYC. Here is our top 4 list (we only had 4 days):

Museum of Natural History

Metropolitan Museum of Art (has much more than just paintings including musical instruments, furniture, mummies and a real Egyptian temple)

New York Hall of Science (this is in Queens but is easily reached by subway. It is the best hands on science museum I have seen. If you belong to your local science museum you can probably get in free. We went on a Fri and it was jammed with kids in the morning but all the schools left at 12:45 and then we practically had it to ourselves).

Central Park (my ds loves to go to the playgrounds, climb rocks, watch model boats, climb statues, ride the carousel and visit the zoo).

Depending on how long you stay Metro passes are a good deal. A week long pass is good for unlimited bus and subway rides. The Staten Island Ferry is free and has a nice view of the city and Statue of Liberty.

Susan

We are planning a trip to New York at the moment.

We are staying at a hostel in town to have affordable accommodation in a good location.

We plan to:

Hire bikes to cycle through central park

Go to either a football or baseball game

Go to a show but get cheap last minute tickets

Take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty

Let each child choose a 1 hour childrens tour of the Met.

Go to the Nat History Museum

Possibly take a horse and carriage ride through Central Park at night.

Go up the Empire State Building at Sunset either that or walk the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset... undecided. Either way we will do both.

I'm hoping to go to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum.

We will probably purchase the city pass http://www.citypass.com/city/ny.html

The Staten Island Ferry is free and has a nice view of the city and Statue of Liberty.
YES! Go on whatever ferry leaves that takes you past the Statue of Liberty at sunset! It is so awesome to see sunset behing the Statue of Liberty, and see the lights of Manhattan as the sun goes down! That was one of the favorite parts of our trip!

We went to the Empire State building, Chinatown, Statue of Liberty (Which is technically in New Jersey, isn't it?) and we went to Time's Square at midnight! That was interesting to see life going on as if it was midday! I'm a west coast girl, and was in my 20's when I went there with a couple of friends. It was all just so fun for my first time ever on the east coast! We'd actually gone to Philadelphia first, then took the train (Amtrak) from there to New York, so we didn't drive around while there either. We did a LOT of walking, and a little bit of Taxi (we didn't have a lot to spend on taxi fare)! We got there in the early eve of one day, were there the whole next day, and left the day after that, so we didn't ahve long, and rushed around a lot! It was great fun, just like I think you'll have!

http://www.strandbooks.com/

http://www.maxbrenner.com/

The Strand is a FOUR story bookstore and Max Brenner is a chocolate restaurant MMMMM. My sis took me and dd9 when we went to visit her in NY last Sept. They were my favorite spots :) We also went to the Met (huge place, loads to see), Central Park Zoo (small but have penguins a must for dd), walked around Central Park for the statue of Balto (close by zoo, dd read the book right before). WE also went to see the Mets play since dd wanted a "real" baseball game. We had a fun time and my sis liked showing "her" town to us.

How would you go about it?

The only things I KNOW I want to do are see a couple shows on Broadway...Mary Poppins & Wicked.

You did not say for how long or who with.

I went for a long weekend (3 days) with my best friend. (We met there, her from TX and I from Germany; our husbands stayed home to watch the kids.) We arranged everything around the shows we wanted to take in.

We stayed in a relatively "cheap" hotel that was about 5 or 6 blocks from Times Square. We walked everywhere except when we took the city tour bus.

The city tour bus was SO worth it!

Now, if I were going with kids or hubby, I would plan a different type of deal (different shows for one). I would still do the bus tour, as you can cover a greater area and some of the tour guides are incredibly wonderful and you wind up getting off at places that you didn't previously have an interest in. . .

So, how long and with who?

When you say "cheap" hotel, how much are you talking?

hmmm,

I honestly don't remember, and, upon thinking about it, it may have only been "cheap" because my friend and I split the cost.

And which city bus tours did you use? I looked at the one linked above and it looks really good....

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=1053