Menu

Horizons P-K or ??

Julie

My dd, today 5 is uninterested in any type of schooling, aside from me reading to her or a craft. We have used Explode the Code, Vetitas Press, Bob Jones workbook and various others, but it is like pulling teeth to get her to do any of it.

There are so many positive comments about Horizons PK I was wondering if it was worth a try? Do you need the whole shi-bang or could you get by with just the workwbook? I hate to invest more $$ on unproductive curricula.

Thanks,

Julie

Horizon PreK is a wonderful tool, we bought the program. The teachers' books, workbooks and resource packet. We did not get the multi-media pack.

Here's a post about it that I did, also search these boards for Horizons Preschool, Horizons PreK and read Michele's posts.

My post: http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-is-horizons-preschool.html

We will probably use this for PreK and part of K. I love that we aren't following a book list because there are too many treasures out there to share with my youngest to follow someone else's idea of what I should be reading but that's just my thoughts for my children.

Hope this helps,

I say this b/c many of my ds's were just like your dd at that age...no interest in anything school related. No workbooks, nothing. Can she stomach a phonics program like OPG or 100EZ lessons? It's all oral (at least OPG is!) so it isn't like sitting down and doing "school". Honestly, at that age, lots of reading together, crafts, perhaps letting her play w/ some math manipulative is all she really needs, IMNSHO! Math: Get some pattern blocks and a book of patterns and let her play. Ask her to count how many of each block she used to complete the pattern. Then ask her to do it using different blocks. Sort by color, shape, etc. Unifix cubes are also fun to "play" with...you can sort colors, make graphs, play games (there is a book to accompany the cubes that has all sorts of fun activities for math related skills).

Is she crafty? Does she like cut/paste type stuff? Have her choose a lapbook from HOAC or KBC and do that together. Homeschoolestore has a bunch for her age that are fun and educational. I'm looking into one on the Very Hungry Caterpillar for my dd2 and ds5. She'll be learning AND having fun! Just some suggestions. When she's ready...I really like MFW K. Everything you need is included...math, phonics, science, reading, etc. All laid out for you and NOT very expensive. It's very gentle.

HTH a bit.

Sue

Have you thought about Five in a Row....it's very much what you want to make it. It can be mostly reading and crafts if that's what you like. We're using it now and although I know with my 4 yr old that I don't "need" any kind of curriculum I like it because it helps me with my need to be somewhat structured but is also very flexible. For example, if there is a day where he just wants to play...fine. But most days I have some activity planned and we do either more or less depending on his interests and how much he wants to do. It's also fairly cheap (they just changed the format to a spiral-bound and made it more expensive at $35 a volume.) But it's still reasonable and I've been able to get the books from the library or bookmooch.

I have been doing FAIR for the last two weeks, but it honestly does not feel like "much". I have not even herd of OPG, and never looked at 100 EZ..........the lapbook ideas might be the ticket. I am going to look into that.

Thanks so much,

Julie

is In the Hands of A Child...they have tons of lapbook ideas for the pre-k and early elementary littles. Very affordable, too. It's painless, fun learning. I agree with Beth...there are many years to school. If she's not ready, don't push her into a negative attitude that you will have to work to undo. Just have fun and read good books together. Enjoy your time together.

http://www.handsofachild.com/shop/