Menu

Lively Latin versus Minimus Latin for 4th Grade

momof165

I am STILL searching for a fun, not boring, easy to teach Latin program for 4th Grade. We just finished Song School Latin and my ds loved this program. I'd like to continue our Latin studies with a fun Latin program. I printed out some sample pages for Lively Latin Big Book I and Minimus Latin. I really, really thought my son would like Lively Latin - but he wasn't very excited about it.:001_huh: He thought Minimus was more fun. Now my question...... Do I need the Teacher Manual with Minimus? Is he learning enough with Minimus and Minimus Secundus to continue with e.g. Oxford Latin? I do know Latin - but just like to have things spelled out for me.:D The price for the Minimus Teacher Manual is quite expensive - is it worth it? How much information is there for the teacher? Is the grammar portion of Minimus enough? I know that there is Galore Park Latin as well. But I feel my son (at least right now) it not ready for this one.

Sorry for all the questions - but I just want to pick the right Latin curriculum for ds. I don't want to kill the love for the language. As of right now, Latin is his most favorite subject!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Sonja

If I was going to use Minimus by itself with a child who already had a little bit of Latin (like Song School), I would definitely get the TM. It has the exercises. I also recommend these lesson plans.

I'm interested in using the lesson plans that you inked, can you tell me if it's a 29 week plan or 11 month plan? The description on Lulu says it includes both, but someone posted complaining that it only included one -- but she didn't say which one!

Thanks,

Jackie

If I was going to use Minimus by itself with a child who already had a little bit of Latin (like Song School), I would definitely get the TM. It has the exercises. I also recommend these lesson plans.

:iagree: We did Minimus last year and I found the TG to be very valuable just for the translations and answers alone. I created my own schedule, spending 3 weeks per chapter, so we had a lot of review and time to really get the pronunciation correct (I had the CD). Her retention was wonderful.