Menu

Immunizations for the College-Bound

readwithem

Sounds like a book title :) or at least a chapter within a book!

As far as I know my junior dd hasn't had any immunizations since, oh, about 18 months. A few international moves, a few more domestic ones, and I couldn't tell you where her chart is. I do remember that it was hand-written and didn't look very official to me.

So. Is there an official standard "common" list somewhere, or does each college have its own requirements? And do colleges require a certification from a doctor?

Thanks so much. I'm not sure what made me think of this. :001_huh:

I've had to turn in an immunization record for both of my kids before they could begin classes at university. (Interestingly not for the local cc, though.) I have a copy of what's in their dr's chart, which is all just initials and what vaccine was given.

DS also has to have a current TB test as an entering pre-pharmacy student. He's thrilled...

If you can remember where he got those up to 18 mos, you can get a copy from them. They never give up the original.

I had to telephone the hospital in Iowa where my son was born (and where he was cared for until age 2). They faxed me a copy of all that they administered there.

Your public health department will have a "basic schedule" of immunizations. If your student hasn't had anything since 18 months, you can easily pick up the necessary immunizations there.

I think it will definitely depend on the college.

The university to which we're sending DD requires only the MMR immunization. It requires a date and doctor's signature OR getting a MMR titer to prove immunity.

So if your records are hopelessly lost, you may be able to go the titer route.

HTH. :)

ps - although dd's university requires just the MMR, they do recommend the Menactra (meningitis) vaccination as well. We made sure DD had this one, since meningitis tends to show up disproportionately in college dorms.

I have a friend who went back to college at 40. She did not have her records. She was also going into social work, so she needed the immunizations for her field work. She had titers drawn, and based on those had to get a couple of things. The college sent a list of what immunizations they required. I remember getting part of the MMR for grad school.

ps - although dd's university requires just the MMR, they do recommend the Menactra (meningitis) vaccination as well. We made sure DD had this one, since meningitis tends to show up disproportionately in college dorms.

I'll see if I can find the recent article I just read about meningitis. I'm generally very laid back about immunizations, but this is one my son will definitely get before he heads off to school. In the worst cases, kids die, or lose limbs -- horrible.

There are two types of meningitis, though, (one deadly, one not) so I'll look for the article. Where's Ria? She'd know this!

Of course, it's always good to talk to your doctor about this stuff.

ETA: A quick google search will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about bacterial meningitis. Here's just one article: http://www.acha.org/projects_programs/meningitis/disease_info.cfm

Edited by Nicole M

I'll see if I can find the recent article I just read about meningitis. I'm generally very laid back about immunizations, but this is one my son will definitely get before he heads off to school. In the worst cases, kids die, or lose limbs -- horrible.

There are two types of meningitis, though, (one deadly, one not) so I'll look for the article. Where's Ria? She'd know this!

Of course, it's always good to talk to your doctor about this stuff.

ETA: A quick google search will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about bacterial meningitis. Here's just one article: http://www.acha.org/projects_programs/meningitis/disease_info.cfm

I would certainly have my children get the meningitis vaccine (and I did!). Bacterial meningitis is fairly rare, but it kills a relatively high proportion of those who get it (I've read varying statistics, from 10-20%). Those who survive can be left with permanent brain damage and other issues. (Viral meningitis is usually more benign than bacterial meningitis, but both can have the same symptoms at onset.)

Ria

Great discussion, everybody! Sorry to be AWOL, we're up to our eyeballs here with SAT and AP prep and I'm the resident hand-holder and general psychologist :rolleyes:

I did find her immunization record, it looks like a FAX that we received in 1994, about the time we would have registered her for pre-school. It's barely legible, and the clinic where she got her shots is now closed. :(

What happens with the titers? It sound like they can tell what is in your system - by doing bloodwork?

Thanks again. Off to play a game with my very-relieved-this-SAT-date-is-history dd.

Yes, they can just check her titers (immunity levels) by taking her blood. It's amazing what they can check this way!

Congrats to your daughter for getting through the SAT. We're not so fortunate here . . . yet . . . because of the time difference, my dd just started her SAT eight minutes ago! :)