Menu

Living in a house while it is being sold...

I know this was discussed back on the old board many times, so there should be some experts here. :D

Am I going to lose my mind trying to homeschool and show our house? It will be listed Monday, and I am trying to think about what this is going to be like.

I usually let things fly for the week while we school, and then clean it all back up on Saturday. Taking off of school is not an option (dc would lose their marbles.)

I guess what is going to be sacrificed is MY homeschooling time (I usually do my self-ed in the quiet times during the day.) It should only be for a few months (we are waiting to hear a closing date on the new house, but we should be moving in about two months,) though. I am going to be sort of cranky, though, as I am worse than dc when my brain sits unstretched, LOL. :( I think maybe I will request new Teaching Company CDs from dh as a necessary moving home selling expense, so I can listen while I endlessly clean.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.... (or just thanks for letting me whine...)

Keep things simple. We kept a couple of large sturdy laundry baskets available for throwing school books in for the last minute showing phone calls. We simply carried the baskets out and put them in the car with us when we left. Unfolded laundry was stuffed back in the dryer!

I would make 15 min clean-up rounds 3x a day. (morning, afternoon, and before bed.)

We had a really hard time keeping up our routine when our house was on the market b/c our house was being shown constantly (a minimum of 1-2 x per day everyday) Thankfully our house sold quickly. In the past, 1-2 showings a week has been more typical and much easier to deal with and manage a routine.

Usually you'll get a little forewarning before the showing. I would give your children a certain routine to follow when you have to quickly prepare for a showing. This way everyone will know exactly what their jobs are, and it will help it to go that much faster.

If you're getting a lot of showings, try and keep your house in a situation where you would only need 30 minutes or so to make it presentable (for those showings where you only get an hours notice).

It certainly is stressful while you have the house up for sale. The right amount of decluttering and interior decorating will make your house sell faster. We sold our house in the Detroit area this past year in one of the worst markets in the country. Providentially, we were able to sell our house in two weeks.

Thank you, both.

Momof7, I never thought about taking our mess with us - that is genius!!

We have decluttered to the extreme. We have a storage unit holding everything we own except the main pieces of furniture, our school books, some clothes for each of us, cleaning supplies, the computer, and our dishes and food. It feels like we are staying in someone else's house, LOL.

This is us. We've been on the market for 6 months and we've had 3-5 showings a week during the on-season for home buying. From October 31-Jan. 1 things were quiet.

Declutter, pack away what you don't need.

School books are in a rolling cart that we can bring out and put away as needed. http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1204225027-1764531&subject=1&category=284 I've also seen them at Linens & Things. Even my 5 yo can manage the cart--that's his job when we get a "fire drill."

Make it a habit to never go to bed with a dirty kitchen or bathroom :) This is where you'll spend all your time speed cleaning for those last minute calls and it's the kitchen and bathrooms that are going to be of high interest to buyers.

Invest in a Shark Steam Mop -- https://sharksteammop.com/contents/index.aspx

You can mop your floors last minute and they'll be dry in seconds. And it t uses just water so you won't run out of cleaning solution just when you need it. And personally I don't care for the smell of the swiffer mops so there is no odor.

The baskets for putting things in last minute is a great suggestion from one other the other moms! I have one too. :)

Keep a stash of snacks handy in the car along with bottles of water. In our experience showings typically happen over a meal time, or right before. We also have meals in the freezer. Ah yes, don't plan on making anything stinky like saurkraut for dinner unless you do it in a crockpot outside.

We also have some deodorizing spray we spray where the cat box usually is during the day just in case the cat poops right before the showing. :eek:

Hopefully this will be a short adventure for ya'll. If not, don't forget that "this too shall pass."

Thank you, both.

Momof7, I never thought about taking our mess with us - that is genius!!

We have decluttered to the extreme. We have a storage unit holding everything we own except the main pieces of furniture, our school books, some clothes for each of us, cleaning supplies, the computer, and our dishes and food. It feels like we are staying in someone else's house, LOL.

We did this too. Unfortunatly for us the change of seasonal clothing is approaching and I know for a fact those boxes got buried in the back of our floor to ceiling full storage unit. I figured we'd be moved already.