Menu

Inflamed cervix results from a pap smear?? menstrual cup??

Ok, I just got results in the mail from a recent pap and it said that there were no cancer cells, but that my cervix was inflamed and to call and schedule an appointment for October to be rechecked, no intercourse 72 hours prior to the check and if I am using tampons or douching not to. Well I used a menstrual cup, so does that rule out that also? Oh I'm devastated. I put a call in am waiting to hear back. Any insites, suggestions? BTW, I've been using a cup for the past 7 years, so why all of the sudden, it's irritated is beyond me. I can't remember when I had intercourse before the pap smeer, but my appointment was on a Monday, and my guess is it was either Friday or Saturday.

Thanks,

Phlox

It probably has nothing at all to do with the cup if you've been fine for all this time. It may have been the intercourse, or it may just be a random thing. I would wait for the call back from the doc, but I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. If they were concerned, they'd have you in sooner.

Edited by melissel
Doh! Misunderstood on one point.

I used to get the inflammation result for my pap smears *every single* time. Because of this, I had even more pap smears and more inflammation results. This went on for several years. When I stopped using any sort of barrier (in my case that was the sponge, diaphram, and cervical cap, not all at once, mind you) method of contraception I never had another problem; every single pap smear has been normal since and it has been something like 20 years now.

So I guess my point is that it could be the cup or the intercourse, especially if you were using something like a diaphram for contraception.