Menu

What is a good science for a 7th grader who loves science?

MJN

He loves to do experiments, prefer something he can do on his own with some guidance. I'd love to find something really good that is biology related if you know of something on his level.

Thanks!

MJN

Edited by MJN

Have you considered the Prentice Hall Science Explorer Life Science book, or the individual books that make up that book?

We will be using it for 7th grade next year, and it seems to have plenty of experiments. Not to mention it is something he could definitely read on his own.

BJU is teacher intensive - not something he could do alone (IMHO). How about Apologia Biology? It is high school, but he could get a credit early if you think he is ready for high school.

Yep, I agree, but I have also seen many a post lately where children have been using it independently. So, I figured...hey, why not? ;) I personally wouldn't, but to each his own. :D

I most definitely would not use Apologia's high school biology with a 7th grader though. No offense, but it almost killed my two older boys' love of anything science. They found it very tedious. I sold it very quickly afterward. I can't imagine anything but a very mature, very advanced, 7th grader liking it; and no doubt there are some of those out there...just as there are those pesky advanced 4th graders completing Alg 1 and making us all look bad. :lol:

I'm doing BJU for 7th grade Science next year. It covers a lot of biology. But if you were going to do BJU and get the science kit, I don't know how independent he'd be able to be. They use a microscope and there is also dissecting of a worm and a frog.

If you think you will later choose Apologia then 7th is the perfect place to start so you can stay on track. My dd wanted biology and so we do some local science musem/co-ops where she does disection a few times a year. she likes human body/biology and the last I think 4 moudules of general are all human body so this worked well for her this year.

7th General

8th Physical

9th Biology

10th Chemistry

11th Physics

12th different options.

I didn't do this order with daughter and she wants biology for 9th so we are skipping physical. My ds entering 7th did general this year and loved it so we will stay on this path

I'm glad to know about Apologia Biology. We are doing Physical next year and I wondered about Biology. What would you recommend as a Biology alternative??

Well, we are going to use BJUs Biology with DVDs. I recorded the class this year and it was fabulous. The teacher, an energetic, fun, science loving young lady made everything so interesting that I found myself watching full classes...just because. My son, 11 yo at the time, would stop, sit, and watch too. He was excited to know he would get to use take the class one day.

My middle son used Apologia Physical Science and Biology. He used BJU Chemistry and Physics (with DVDs). He said BJU was hands-down the better curriculum of the two. He dreaded, absolutely dreaded, Apologia Biology.

Sooo...that is what we are going to use instead of Apologia. If I did not have the classes on DVD, or the money to lease them, I would probably have to use Apologia because teaching high school science is not something I could do adequately. :tongue_smilie: