Menu

Recommendations for grammar other than R&S

PinkInTheBlue

We are about to finish R&S 5 grammar. We've used it for at least about 3 years now. I take it as slow or fast as we need it. It's not a rare occasion to make a lesson take two days if it has an accompanying worksheet and it's new material. So, my 7th and 5th graders have been working together and have now finished grade 5. I didn't care so much about the grade as the complete absorption of the material.

To be honest, I'm tired of the bible verses used for lessons. I am a Christian but not the traditional Christian I use to be. I'm teaching religion/spirituality but I don't want my grammar to do it. :) So, I'm looking for good, secular somewhat comparable grammars to move to.

So far I'm mostly looking at Growing with Grammar (the levels are probably too low but we could use an "easier" break for 6mths) and Analytical Grammar. Shurley didn't look appealing to me because I just didn't get the rhymes or songs or whatever they were. If I could understand the appeal of it maybe I would consider it. What other programs do it not know about? Any recommendations?

I've searched the past posts and absorbed that info. I'd love some fresh thoughts. I haven't had the opportunity to really curriculum shop in a while since we've been pretty happily settled in our choices for a while. I'm prone to obsess before jumping in and deciding. :)

Thank you!!