Menu

Sonlight 1+2 too easy for 4th?

Grace Academy

Is Sonlight 1+2 too easy to use for 4th grade? I wanted to start with 1+2 since this would be our first year with Sonlight. We also have not studied ancient history yet.

Thank you for your help

Oh, and is it ok not to get the reader package? I read that they are not connected with the course until core 3.

Is Sonlight 1+2 too easy to use for 4th grade? I wanted to start with 1+2 since this would be our first year with Sonlight. We also have not studied ancient history yet.

Thank you for your help

Oh, and is it ok not to get the reader package? I read that they are not connected with the course until core 3.

SL1+2 uses CHOW. Calvert school doesn't use CHOW until grade 4, so I would think that 1+2 would be just fine for 4th. Also, you are correct the readers do not tie-in until SL3, so it would work fine to use different readers.

HTH-

Mandy

I think that would work just fine. I just finished Core 2 with an older 3rd grader and there was nothing too young about it for him. I think SL's recommended ages for starting this core are 7 - 9, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it with a child who was a little older.

Lisa

I had my 11 year old read the read alouds and narrate them along with written narrations out of CHOW. He used the poems for dictation too. If I can make it work for a 5th grader I am sure it will work for 4th. I would just expect more independence.

My 11 year old now has gone into core 5, but he still loves listening in on the core 1+2 books.

Thank you guys so much! I just didn't want for it to be too easy...but from what I see of the IG it looks pretty thorough. We have been homeschooling for 4 years and I have always wanted Sonlight but thought it too expensive...I was considering another program for next year and then I realized Sonlight was only $100 more... so I am beyond excited! :)

Thank you guys so much! I just didn't want for it to be too easy...but from what I see of the IG it looks pretty thorough. We have been homeschooling for 4 years and I have always wanted Sonlight but thought it too expensive...I was considering another program for next year and then I realized Sonlight was only $100 more... so I am beyond excited! :)

Just echoing that it should not be too easy at all. I finished Core 2 with a 4th grader and all I did for 2 was up the reading level in the readers. If you don't want the reader package, you can get your own books from the library. We didn't use the Core 2 readers for 4th anyhow... we had read them a couple of years before. And, you are right... the readers don't line up with history until Core 3. Enjoy your Sonlight!

Guest bookwormmama

We have been using Core 1 this year with a 2nd and 3rd grader. My kids will be 3rd and 4th grade as we use Core 2 next year. I think this age range is perfect for these cores and you can't go wrong doing Core 1&2 with your 4th grader. Having done Core 1 this year I REALLY wish we had done Core 1&2 instead as my dd wants to do American History next year.... {sigh}... they LOVE Core 1 and can't wait for Core 2 but this Momma is sick of Ancient History and ready for something different! LOL

As for a 4th grader doing these cores, it shouldn't be too easy at all... I think it's perfect!