Menu

OK - last one for today... I promise. :-)

American Lit

Your favorite light, funny, we-loved-this-book-because-it-made-us-smile titles.... American lit please.....

Literature

Biography

Historical Fiction

Nothing to discuss, just a page-turner that forced you/your kids to stay on the couch to finish even though life was calling.... the kind of book that makes your kids wander around the house reading aloud to anyone who will listen.

It would be nice to LAUGH next year! Some of this high school stuff gets too heavy.

Rec titles for high school boys and/or girls and their need-to-smile momma.

THANKS!

You guys are AWESOME!!

Janice

This is probably not appropriate for American Lit, but the funniest book I have ever read by an American author is Mark Twain's Innnocents Abroad. It's a tome, and you really will have to have gone to Europe to appreciate it or at least on a cruise. It's a tome and I laughed so hard I was crying and could barely breathe :) I read it aloud to my family, but they couldn't quite appreciate it as much as I did. I had traveled abroad before marriage and kids.

I guess this qualifies as literature, though it really is a non-fiction book from when he was working as a reporter in San Francisco, and traveled with a religious group to Europe and the Middle East via ship (and some overland). He wrote a series of articles about his trip and it was later complied into this book. Really, it's hysterical ~

Edited by debbiec

This is not a book, but a movie ... The Great Race with Tony Curtis & Jack Lemmon. I loved this movie when I was a kid and I recently bought it at B&N with Buy 2/Get 1 Free special. At first, my sons thought it was going to be lamed, but once they started watching - they were laughing so hard with that deep belly-laugh. It made me feel wonderful to share a classic with them. Jack Lemmon was wonderful in the movie as the villian. It is a great movie to rent or own.

In the biography category, I propose Russell Baker's wonderful book, Growing Up. Losing his father on the heels of the Great Depression insured that life would not be easy for Baker or his family, but the recounting of the grace and drive that his mother instilled in him is inspirational.

Baker is an American treasure, a wonderfully understated humor writer whose columns in the NY Times brought me great joy. I heartily recommend Growing Up.

Jane

Penrod, or Penrod and Sam, by Booth Tarkington - laugh-out-loud funny, especially if you read aloud with appropriate accents. I found this gem at a library sale for a quarter - one of the best quarters I have every spent!

If you want something else fun, but by a Brit (but one who loved America, so it could work with a little stretching...), try PG Wodehouse. Any of his Jeeves and Wooster stories are hysterically funny. If you enjoy Wodehouse, look for the Jeeves and Wooster DVDs staring Stephen Frye and Hugh Laurie. Some of the stories are set in New York, so if humor is your main goal, I would count them and Am Lit!

Blessings,

April

Kareni,

This is is on his nightstand. And yes, he follows me around the house reading from it aloud. :001_smile:

More title like this would be great!

Peace,

Janice

Another title to consider: Uncle Tungsten: Memoir of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sachs.

Not American, so I had hesitated to post. Laugh aloud and aha moments in this one.

Jane

Atoms in the Family by Fermi This is a biography of Henri Fermi written by his wife. Though initially set in Italy and written by a woman born in Italy, much of the book takes place in America. Great to read after reading the Feynman book, as it talks about living in Los Alamos . Amusing, interesting, not a hard read. Easier and shorter than Uncle Tungston which I also enjoyed.

Hi Janice,

I saw that you lived in New Jersey. If you grew up near Trenton, you have to read the Janet Evanonich mystery series, "One for Money ...", etc. Let me state this is for you, not for the HS. I grew up near Trenton, and everything she writes in her books are so true. Again, this series is light readings and are definitely for Mom who needs a break and a good laugh.

Guest Katia

Life With Father by Clarence Day, Jr. is a riot!

Not funny at all, but a can't-stop-reading, page-turner is Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game.

We all loved A Long Way from Chicago and it's sequel A Year Down Yonder by Peck (No, it's not based in Australia, it's in southern IL during the depression.)

For Twain, don't forget A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, as well as some of his short stories.

James Thurber is good, too.