Menu

House of Winslow Series - has anybody read them?

I used to have the first 15 books in the series many years ago. It started off pretty well, but then the books started to seem similar, just set in different time periods, and I didn't care to get the rest. That may be because they were part of the same family that they seemed similar. :001_smile: I personally don't care for Gilbert Morris' writing style. Did you check CBD or Amazon for the reviews listed there as well?

I read the first 20 or so when I was a teen. I enjoyed them, but eventually got tired of the later ones - the family had gotten so large that it seemed we were stuck in the late 19th century (there were a good 3-4 books set within a decade or so, at least). That was when I quit reading them. You might be able to find some at the library to see what you think.

Thanks - I did look at Amazon reviews and they said about the same thing: good in the beginning, but kind of fizzled out. For some reason I had not thought to check our library, so I did and have the first book of the series on hold for my daughter. If she loves it, I'll probably buy the first 5 or 10 books. If she likes it, we'll just stick with what we can find at the library.

Thanks again!

I've read several of them. The history part was pretty good, but the "guy kisses girl without commitment or permission even though he shouldn't and then later, sometimes years later, comes back and marries her" themes got tiring.

Although my dd is 11, she is definitely not into romance in books. She still at the "eewww, icky" stage. I'll let her be the judge with the book from the library, but I'm thinking these may not be her cup of tea.

I agree with Heather. I read the first seven or eight of this series in my late teens before getting bored with the writing style, and I wouldn't recommend them for an 11yo. Think along the lines of "(Girl's name) was startled at the force of (Guy's name)'s kiss. It sent a shiver of weakness along her spine, awakening her longing even as she tried to push him away" or some such. Never more than kissing, mind you, and the dashingly handsome bad boy often is conveniently converted so that he can finally marry the girl, but still not what I'd want my daughter turning over in her mind. Kind of like historical Christian soap opera, I thought.

I was a big fan as a teen and young adult, but I have to agree with what everyone else has said. The books just seemed like the "same old, same old" after about the first ten or fifteen.

I read the first one when I was 15 or 16. I was a fairly sheltered (even though I went to school:tongue_smilie:) teenager, and I thought the books were a little risque--NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING at all by today's standard, but still, fwiw.

I can't imagine reading them as an 11 year old.

I really enjoyed these books and several of his other series. But they are not for an 11 yo. My favorite babysitter at 15 is reading and really enjoying them. If the price is right, you might consider getting them now for later. I would suggest Janette Oke as being much better for your daughter. There's some romance but more along the lines of the later Little House books.

I personally LOVE Gilbert Morris' novels! He has some others that aren't historical fiction, as well. I do like the House of Winslow books. Maybe because sometimes I feel more 'at home' with that time period? 8^) But maybe you should read one from the library before you order.

I wouldn't recommend them for an 11yo.

THANKS everyone - I definitely am taking your advice and pushing these out until she is older (or never). I don't want her thinking along those lines, and she would let out a big, fat "ick" anyway. She is an older 11 academically, but a young 11 as far as emotions go.