Menu

If not DITHOR than what else

MrsMe

would you use? I mean this is a reading program, right? It's not grammar or vocabulary. If you didn't use DITHOR what are the other options?

Also if you use DITHOR, what do you use for vocabulary as it has a "use your own vocabulary" day on day 2 I think.

I'm just trying to compare it to something. Trying to wrap my brain around a program at this level.

I'm not sure exactly what level DITHOR is for. But, really, reading can be a simple routine.

I use the literature lists from Well Trained Mind for both my boys. They read for a set amount of time each day, and then we discuss the books when they're done. I admit that reading the novel section of Well Educated Mind helps me with that. There are basically two big questions to answer for grammar stage reading:

Who is the central character in this book?

What is the book's most important event?

There are two other questions to ask if you're having trouble with those, but maybe you should look at WEM for yourself for those (p 70). Or, you could sneak a peek at the questions in the logic stage of WTM. After we discuss these things, my dc write a 1-page narration. (My 8th grader is just beginning to answer one of the evaluation questions in place of a narration.)

If you feel you really need vocabulary, have your child choose one word a day from their reading, look it up in the dictionary, and record it in a vocabulary notebook. (I don't do this, but it does sound like a good idea!)

I do cover some things (like foreshadowing, symbolism, climax, etc.) while we do read-alouds. You can find information on these types of things in Reading Strands or even by just googling "literary analysis" or "how to analyze literature". I don't think these are the most important things to be covered at this stage, just gravy and previews of things to come. YMMV

I will be using DITHOR this coming year and it includes

"

1)Pre-reading Activities create a purpose for reading the text.

2)Guided Literature Discussions help students gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of the text.

3)Vocabulary Activities teach different strategies to help discover the meanings of unfamiliar words in the text

4)Creative Projects emphasize a variety of choices to address the needs of all types of learners. Choices include Godly character project options, book based project options, or group project options

I will be using it along with the other HOD manuals which have vocabulary, dictation, narration and writing written into them as well as a schedule for R&S Grammar, so will probably just use it for Reading. I know Carrie Austin the author, makes other writing & grammar recommendations to go along with DITHOR. Check it out at:

HEART OF DAKOTA and

HOD Language Arts Recommendations

Edited by kayinpa

Teachin the Classics is another thing you could easily use. It is used with whatever books, short stories or poetry you choose. I love it! It gives me a structure to teach literary elements and analysis but with the freedom to choose my own reading material.

Other options? Reading good books together and discussing them, the way you would discuss a book with a friend. Using genre terms in conversation ("Hmmm...I think we'll read a biography this time." "This was my favorite non-fiction book." "Helen Keller's autobiography was amazing!") It doesn't have to be a big ol' formal just-like-school thing.

You can also add in the book reports from the Love to Learn Place. The author, Beverly Schmitt, had her dds do them on a random basis, on random books.

would you use? I mean this is a reading program, right? It's not grammar or vocabulary. If you didn't use DITHOR what are the other options?

DITHOR is a reading comprehension and literature analysis program. If not DITHOR, you'd use guides from Progeny Press or Garlic Press, Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus, Reading Detective, or anything else that has kids doing exercises intended to help them get the most out of their reading.

3)Vocabulary Activities teach different strategies to help discover the meanings of unfamiliar words in the text

I'm not seeing this. It says to use your own vocabulary. If there are activities, I didn't see the sample of the activities. Maybe I missed it?

That explains why *I'd* never use it. I think my inability to successfully combine my boys must be legendary by now - LOL! (I'm sure DITHOR is great, and works well for many people. Please no flames!)

Though not necessarily "combining", what I did when the boys were split into grammar and logic stage (and have done with some things this year) was have the younger read an abridged version of what the older was reading. This is pretty easy to do if you combine the grammar and logic stage lists. Then, I'd let the one who finished first fill in the gap of time with more "free" reading. Sometimes we discuss together - sometimes separately - sometimes both. But, at least then I only have *one* book to discuss. I will miss that next year as my oldest moves into Great Books.

I'm not seeing this. It says to use your own vocabulary. If there are activities, I didn't see the sample of the activities. Maybe I missed it?

It says it right on the DITHOR page of HOD under the Story Elements section about there being vocabulary activities.

I pulled my copy of the manual off the shelf to look because now my curiosity is peaked, and there is are 3 worksheets for you to copy and have them fill in in the appendix for the vocabulary activity.

First worksheet is called Synonym Search

Second is called Word Connections

Third is called Contextual Clues.

HTH

Edited by kayinpa
punctuation

It says it right on the DITHOR page of HOD under the Story Elements section about there being vocabulary activities.

I pulled my copy of the manual off the shelf to look because now my curiosity is peaked, and there is are 3 worksheets for you to copy and have them fill in in the appendix for the vocabulary activity.

First worksheet is called Synonym Search

Second is called Word Connections

Third is called Contextual Clues.

HTH

I'll go back and check. It may be on the HOD page on not on the sample. Thanks!

That explains why *I'd* never use it. I think my inability to successfully combine my boys must be legendary by now - LOL! (I'm sure DITHOR is great, and works well for many people. Please no flames!)

You know, I don't think I've ever seen curriculum-related flames on this board. People fight about other things, but not whether or not you use DITHOR. You have to really know a poster, and have stalked their posts for months, to tell when their lips are pursed as they type back to you about what books you've chosen.