Menu

What about Art curriculum and resources?

I feel I'm not doing so well in that department. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that is fun and easy to do? We bought God and the History of Art, that was suggested by MFW, but it was SO BORING:bored:. I would like to find something that is fun, and easy to implement. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My 5 year old is having a great time with The Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas and the Usborne Art Treasury. I stocked a cabinet with the supplies needed for most of the activites- papers, glue, paints, crayons, and pastels. DD loves opening the book and picking a project she wants to do.

She loves it so much that she doesn't let me forget it- all I do is read her the instructions and help her get the supplies out.

It's not a full art curriculum, so it would probably not be enough for your older child; but its a great way to learn a few techniques and experiment with different art media- I love that it's not about doing crafts.

This is the plan of what I did one year for art - a living books art history with projects. I did each artist for a few weeks, and I added in projects from Discovering Great Artists and How to Teach Art to Children to go along with the artist or the style/materials they used. My library had most of the books, and we bought a few.

This is the plan of what I did one year for art - a living books art history with projects. I did each artist for a few weeks, and I added in projects from Discovering Great Artists and How to Teach Art to Children to go along with the artist or the style/materials they used. My library had most of the books, and we bought a few.

This looks pretty good I have the Discovering artists books already.

These are great suggestions. I've seen a couple of these books before, but it can be so ovewhelming sometimes trying to figure it all out! I think Classical Conversations uses the book Discovering Great Artists. And I think I have also seen the book Teaching Art to Children. I will definitely check these out. Thanks!

Thank you very much for sharing your art curriculum. This is exactly what I was looking for but could not find. Can you please tell me how often during the week your children did art?

If your children are in the early elementary years, I suggest reading the Katie series (Katie and the Impressionists) by James Mayhew for art appreciation and then have them do simple crafts, coloring, cutting etc. to build their fine motor skills.

For middle and upper elementary, I like "How to Teach Art to Children" by Evan-Moor, Discovering Great Artists (already mentioned) and the Art Fraud Detective series by Anna Nilsen

I like Artistic Pursuits for their introduction to classical art and a practical project to match. We also have the Come Look with Me series..Other than these, I buy lots of materials and and some how to books (How Great Thou Art, Cook Books, Friendship Bracelet Books, Sewing Books...) to use as reference when dc need help. For Christmas, I bought a tool box for dd, and some special markers to decorate it. I filled it with art, and sewing things. We have 2 art boxes filled with paints, colored foam, googly eyes..., as well as sketch books, and paper. Art for them is to create whatever they want with the materials they have. I also allow them to "recycle". Once, dd's jeans were torn so badly, I couldn't repair them. She asked if she could recycle. She made a purse. Ds loves to take boxes and make cars, trains, and castles for his web kinz. At present, dd is making lots of friendship bracelets and drawing tons in her sketch book. I'm finding the advice an artist gave me to be true...the less I teach the better they do.