Menu

what would you recommend for 6th grade "biology"

Her older sister will be doing high school Biology with Apologia/Campbell-Reece and maybe even prepping for the AP. What can you recommend for a great 6th grade program.

I am afraid that the Apologia elementary series might be too elementary and I do want something that focuses on biology/botany all year.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks so much

my 6th grade ds has done Apologia Biology this year. If you dd is good at memorizing, she can handle it. I found it to be comparable in content to the BJU Life Science text. Some differences but not many, and my ds prefered the explanations in Apologia. He is currently in module 15.

My DD wants to do Life Science and she loves animals. I selected these Light Units from Christian Light Education to create a Life Science course.

608 Human Anatomy Part 1

609 Human Anatomy Part 2

701 God-Designed Plant Systems

702 God-Designed Body Systems

703 The Behavior of Living Things

704 Molecular Genetics

804 Health and Nutrition

809 Balance in Nature

http://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/5

You can also get lab supplies from http://www.hometrainingtools.com, their order form lists the specific supplies for each light unit.

Or how about Christian Kids Explore Biology? It's recommended for 3rd-6th grade.

Edited by amtmcm
addition

Real Science 4 Kids? I heard several presentations by the author at the conference in Cincinnati recently, and I was very impressed.

Although I think the RS4K books are pretty good (I bought most of them), I think the grade levels she puts on the books are way off. The Level 1 books are supposed to be grades 4-6, but they are very very basic, I would say they're appropriate for a 2nd-3rd grader. I'm using Biology 1 with my 1st grader now. RS4K also does not cover a full year, there is maybe a semester's worth of material there -- and that's if you took it slow and supplemented a lot.

Have you looked at Noeo Biology II?

http://www.noeoscience.com/bioII.html

I'm just starting to use some of the Noeo books along with CPO Life Science with my DS11. (CPO is secular, though, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.)

Jackie

She is in the process of adding a level 1 B component for Chemistry, which will extend the number of chapters to 20 for the year. She has also added a series called KOGS which connects the basic Chemistry, Biology, and Physics texts to language. technology, history, philosophy, art and one other area. By incorporating the KOGS, one can do science 4 - 5 days a week. There is also a level 2 available text for Chemistry, if i remember correctly.

Why not look at BJU's Life Science? It is a 7th grade course, a very thorough 7th grade course, but you would not have to assign your dd everything. It would give her an excellent head start for high school Biology.

I would look at NOEO as well. Though in my opinion not nearly as good (or thorough) as BJU. The body book is fun though if your dd likes "crafts" (cutting out body parts, coloring them, etc.) Just make sure she enjoys reading from encyclopedia books though as that is the bulk of the reading with NOEO Bio. II. :tongue_smilie:

You might want to supplement with Tiner for history tie in's.

I love RS4K, but I think that their biology is the weakest of the three disciplines covered in Level 1. I think that it's about at a 4th grade level. It is a fine basic introduction, in 10 lessons, but not a grade level full year class by any means.

You might want to look at Rainbow as well--good bio coverage there.

I would look at NOEO as well. Though in my opinion not nearly as good (or thorough) as BJU. The body book is fun though if your dd likes "crafts" (cutting out body parts, coloring them, etc.) Just make sure she enjoys reading from encyclopedia books though as that is the bulk of the reading with NOEO Bio. II. :tongue_smilie:
Aaahhh, see, I was recommending it based on the fact that we're doing the NOEO Chem. II, and dd loves it! :) That's good info. to know, thanks!