Menu

I don't have any of my homeschool resources...

Can someone tell me how many sentences they give to their mid-first grader to copy?

I'm wondering because I seem to either make it too easy for my daughter or make her cry. Honestly it depends on the time of day, if she hears her siblings outside playing, if the moon is in a certain phase, or her emotions are just bubbling over. :rolleyes: This makes it difficult for me to "just know" what is right for her age/development (that's my hint to those of you tempted to write, "you know your child" ;)).

What does the WTM suggest? Or FLL require?

Thanks.

Jo

Can someone tell me how many sentences they give to their mid-first grader to copy?

I'm wondering because I seem to either make it too easy for my daughter or make her cry. Honestly it depends on the time of day, if she hears her siblings outside playing, if the moon is in a certain phase, or her emotions are just bubbling over. :rolleyes: This makes it difficult for me to "just know" what is right for her age/development (that's my hint to those of you tempted to write, "you know your child" ;)).

What does the WTM suggest? Or FLL require?

Thanks.

Jo

Lesson 53 in FLL gives the option of copying 1 of these sentences:

Rabbit ran the race.

Ben and Sherri skipped and hopped.

The wind howled and the rain blew and the thunder roared.

It looks about the same level of work at the end of FLL1.

The 2nd half of the book moves into dictation in but at Lesson 130 it's suggesting writing 1 couplet of a poem.

Does this help?

This is "Joanne as resource", so take what works.

At that age, with that kind of reaction (common, btw), I'd want one good, well copied sentence. It that time of day doesn't work for everything that needs to come together to write that one, good, sentence; it can wait.

I'd want more school days than not with sentences but I'd not make it a homeschool hill to die on.