Menu

s/o: Last ditch effort on spelling...

I could really use some insight concerning spelling and my DS9. We are not quite to the point of last ditch efforts, but I can see it looming!

DS9 has been using SWR since Kindergarten. He consistently scores well on spelling tests, but cannot spell even the simplest words in a writing context. He has been tested and has completed vision therapy for convergence issues. His reading is fine so the vision people say he does not have dyslexia. I would consider him an auditory learner.

So my questions is... do I keep plugging along with SWR knowing that sometimes spelling doesn't kick-in for some boys until age 12 or so or do I try another program like AAS or Apples and Pears? Are these two programs just more of the same as SWR or do they offer something unique? Any advice would be appreciated.

I've been doing a lot of reading about AAS and am purchasing it to use next year with my 9 year old dd...also a good reader and poor speller. From my research and reading of a lot of independant reviews, I think All About Spelling will be a great fit for us. It focuses on phonics rules, and uses magnetic phonics tiles to practice the different sound combinations. It's not grade level oriented, so it won't make her feel dumb.

One of the reviews I read said that a great reader can be a 'closet dyslexic' and still struggle with spelling. She recommended this program, and said she was seeing great results with her son. The program is based on the Orton-Gillingham approach to teaching spelling/reading which is used with dyslexic students.

In addition to doing an advance search here (for thread titles only, and in the k-8 curriculum board only: 'AAS' and 'All About Spelling'), I also googled 'all about spelling reviews.'

I would also encourage dictation. It really pushed my ds forward with his spelling skills. I will still be using AAS with him as he still has struggles with knowing why he needs to spell words a certain way.

I am using AAS with my twins, one struggles and the other does not. It is working well for both of them.

Jennie

I too think dictation would be a good idea. If you want something easier then AAS would fit that bill. The review also works better for me than with SWR. It does have ready to go dictation sentences. But if you don't want to spend the extra money, then just use the words on his current spelling lists to make up some sentences for him to use for dictation.

Heather

His reading is fine so the vision people say he does not have dyslexia.

He may or may not be, but if they are basing their assessment only on his reading, that's not an accurate way to assess for Dyslexia. Good reading coupled with poor spelling is common for kids with Dyslexia. Check out Stealth Dyslexia, and also Symptoms of Dyslexia.

I have not used SWR. I used Reading Reflex to teach my kids to read (which is also based on the Orton Gillingham Phonograms), and then found All About Spelling last year. Despite their background in using a hands-on Orton-Gillingham program, we have learned tons of new stuff in AAS and my kids are really progressing now. I blogged more about our experience.

I hope you find what will help your son, I know it's hard to look around & wonder if it's worth it to spend more money. Merry :-)

You could try my free online spelling lessons, and then Gayle Graham's "How to Teach Any Child to Spell" and the accompanying spelling notebook, "Tricks of the Trade."

I like it for an older child, it uses words they misspell and makes them figure out why they misspelled it and if there is a rule for it.

Gayle Graham's books (both for $17 at CBD)

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=623777&netp_id=230279&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

My spelling lessons:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies! I don't mind spending the money on a particular curriculum - I just want to make a good choice. I have been doing a little more research on curriculum. I think a workbook based program would help us (to be honest, since my only experience is SWR, I didn't even know you could get spelling curr. with workbooks!)