Menu

NCAA sports vs. homeschoolers - anyone know?

One of my students in co-op is graduating this year, has been accepted to our local university on full scholarship, and has played soccer for years. She had several schools try to recruit her for soccer, offering her scholarships.

But the school she chose (local) just found out that the NCAA rules consider her ineligible because she is not a graduate from an accredited school.

Oklahoma is one of the easiest states in which to homeschool, but we are not "accredited".

I vaguely remember that someone on this board had a similar problem with sports eligibility. If you have any insight, I would love some advice to pass on to this family.

TIA

there's a process where a student registers with the NCAA. You can register early in high school and it's not just homeschooler's who register. My kids aren't athletes, but I've known a couple of swimming families who went through the registration process early in high school. Doing that helped them make sure all their ducks were in a row when the time came to consider opportunities.

The homeschooler I know who did this is not graduating from an accredited program. I think NCAA probably has specific guidelines that a homeschooler can follow and thereby avoid missteps like questions about accredidation, but it's something you need to be paying attention to from the time you start high school.

well, there is always throwing money at clonlara or NARHS and they will produce a 'diploma'. however i believe narhs no long works for NCAA qualification.

Hopefully Margaret in CO will chime in. i believe her daughter maintained NCAA eligibility before going off to the Naval Academy. I was dimly aware of the issue, but knew that my son would never play IC sports, so I didn't really worry about it.

One of the last obstacles for homeschoolers.

well, there is always throwing money at clonlara or NARHS and they will produce a 'diploma'. however i believe narhs no long works for NCAA qualification.

Hopefully Margaret in CO will chime in. i believe her daughter maintained NCAA eligibility before going off to the Naval Academy. I was dimly aware of the issue, but knew that my son would never play IC sports, so I didn't really worry about it.

One of the last obstacles for homeschoolers.

Unfortunately I understand it's a fairly new obsticle and it's because there was a lot of abuse by private "schools" that were no more than sports training grounds. There was a lot of coverage about these schools several years ago in the Wash Post (?). I don't think it was in the community newspaper.