Menu

first communion gift?

My half-sister is having her first communion in spring and I don't want to give her jewelry or money, which are the traditional gifts in our family. I'm leaning towards a leather bound set of classics, but which ones? And would that be inappropriate? (I was raised by my dad, not the parent I share with this sister, so I'm not Catholic and haven't attended a communion -- or any other Catholic event, for that matter -- since my own communion twenty years ago.)

My children received First Communion last year (and the year before, and the year before that:)). The most appreciated gifts: a rosewood box w/ an inscription, and a small silver bracelet.

I would be apprehensive about a leather bound book set for fear it would never be appreciated or used. Maybe a couple leather bound journals for later use? An old style music box? Even an American Girl doll which she would like now, but could be kept for later (her children).

My boys love this Bible and it's unique in that it's not just the stories of the Bible but tell how Jesus' coming-God's plan for our salvation fits into each story.

They usually get their pictures taken, so perhaps a nice picture frame? Or a crucifix, a book of children's devotionals, a keepsake box for her jewelry, a kids Christian music cd, etc. Check out a Christian bookstore and they usually have different appropriate gifts laid out to see and buy.

Personally, I tend to stick with gifts that have some spiritual meaning since it's a sacrament they are receiving. Good luck!