Menu

How do you combine with larger families?

Marsha

I am going the MFW route. Combining Bible, Science, History & Geography. I am also looking seriously at CLE Math & Language Arts just to simplify things. The Language Arts combines Spelling, Grammer & writing. Then I could work with each child individually on all those subjects at once, cutting down on books, time etc.

I got so many great ideas from Managers of Their Homes, as far as scheduling homeschooling goes.

Congratulations on your 7th child. :)

I combine science, history, writing, read alouds, latin, bible, memory work, art, and music. In the lower grades all that they do one on one is math, phonics, english and penmanship, the rest is grouped together. Although this coming year I am going to teach my 9th, 8th and 7th graders together in english using R&S, because they all need the review.

As they get into the upper grades I try to keep them together as much as possible too because some things are more fun in groups, such as experiements. Pretty much by the time mine are in 7th they are working independently.

I am going the MFW route. Combining Bible, Science, History & Geography. I am also looking seriously at CLE Math & Language Arts just to simplify things. The Language Arts combines Spelling, Grammer & writing. Then I could work with each child individually on all those subjects at once, cutting down on books, time etc.

I got so many great ideas from Managers of Their Homes, as far as scheduling homeschooling goes.

Congratulations on your 7th child. :)

We are using MFW too. My dc are class in ages (one 4th and two 5th graders) so we are using the same level of material for our math, language arts and Latin.

We are having our 7th baby.

What do you do to make it easier with a large family?

What curriculum or resources do you use?

Well, it's looked a bit different every year as my kids have grown, given up naps, we folded in a new baby, etc. Here are some of the things that have worked best through the years:

*we've always started early. I wanted to be *done* by a reasonable hour and my kids were up anyway.

*keep a routine, not a timed schedule. Routine is your friend. My kids have always eaten breakfast, dressed, made beds and done their chore before we start school at 8:00 a.m. (now 7:30). Our school routine is similar from day to day -- field trips, outside classes excepting.

*do not -- I repeat do not -- schedule doctor, dentist, etc. appointments in the morning. Everyone outside your family thinks your schedule is so flexible! But the morning hours are golden and cannot be replicated upon return from that outside appointment.

*turn off the phone, tv, and all other distraction. Return calls at lunch or in the afternoon.

*capitalize on your earliest riser. I've always had some very early morning children. So, I took full advantage and started my one-on-one schooling with them (usually math and LA) in the morning while everyone else finished getting ready. I could squeeze in extra teaching time before even 8:00.

*Make sure each child has enough independent seat work that they are not always waiting on you. Even the non-reader can do manipulatives, early math games, puzzles, handwriting readiness, art.

*my favorite toddler activity: bathtime! I could put my toddler(s) in the bath and get three different Shurley English lessons in before the toddlers tired of it! Of course I taught in the bathroom. :tongue_smilie:

*And my saving grace: a ONE HOUR naptime/reading time. Either you are napping or reading, but the rule has always been that the kitchen is closed, you can't talk to momma and you can't talk to each other. :D That one hour when I could "think my own thoughts" has been invaluable.

Curriculum: Choose wisely. You only have so much teaching time and prioritize where you will spend it. For me, it's been (in this order): math, phonics/spelling for the beginning readers, Latin, grammar. Science and history are secondary to these. Here's what we have used successfully over the years:

Preschool:

ReadyWriter -- independent

Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code

Kumon workbooks

Kindergarten and Elementary:

CLP readers -- to teach phonics, reading

Explode the Code -- independent seat work after the child begins reading

Calvert Melody Lane -- intro to music on video

CLP Nature Readers (child reads one passage to me, narrates orally; as child grow, dictates narration and then finally reads independently followed by written narration)

Daily Grams -- daily seat work; I check immediately for corrections

Calvert Spelling CDs -- completely independent

Saxon Math -- we like it but insert your favorite math program here

Calculadder -- math drills

Lively Latin -- combine children and do with mom

Apologia Elementary Science texts -- can combine ALL of your children through 6th grade; reads like a living book

VP -- I used VP on our first history rotation. There's so much more on the market now, that I might choose differently. However, definitely keep everyone on the same history cycle.

By the time my children are in junior high, they complete the majority of their work independently. I continue to teach math, Latin and grammar daily as well as writing. The only *subject* we still do all together is Bible. I love having my 17-yo all the way to my 2-yo together for Bible, memory work, prayer, etc. Sweetest time of the day.

HTH,

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

We do as much together as possible.

History: We listen to the Story of the World cd in the car and then I add recommended reading individually. I give them each books from the library appropriate to their independent reading level. We do the mapwork all together. This is for my 11, 9, and 7 year old. The almost 4 year old thinks she's doing it as well, but I don't expect she's retaining much.

Science: I read Apologia Elementary Science to all of them. Sometimes I'll have a coloring page for them while they listen. I just bought the workbooks to go along with this for the oldest 2. I think they'll have better retention this way. I'm not good about narrations, so this is a good compromise.

Math: I combine where possible. For a couple of years my oldest 2 were together in math, but then one was able to advance in a concept and the other wasn't. I'd really like to get them back on the same level of Math U See though.

Latin: I combine where possible. My 2 oldest are doing Lively Latin and the 2 younger girls are doing Song School Latin.

Grammar: I don't combine this, but it seems they all do each others grammar. We use First Language Lessons, so its done with me reading. They all pick up new concepts this way.

However, the very best thing I think we do is carschooling. Everything I can find on cd I get either from the library or buy it. We have supplemented all subjects this way, but we also review things. For the last month, I've been making one cd a week for the car. I've got all of our cds burned to my computer and its very simple to create a disc. I put everyone's memory work on there, the big kids latin vocabulary, the girls' Song School Latin songs, Lyric Science (right now the song about the planets), the 2 OPGTTR poems, etc. Just about everything we need to do more than one time a day is on there, and I'll usually put it on the disc more than once if its memory work. I've found my preschooler begs to listen to it when we're in the car. We can get so much done in what's normally wasted time. I also have a bag of their history reading we haven't gotten around to yet that they can read in the car or while waiting at lessons for siblings. We tend to be in the car a lot, so this is working wonderfully for us.

Lisa that was great, thanks! We are expecting our fifth and while only 3 of them are actually schooling now, it helps to see what I'm getting myself into! :)

We are using MFW, it includes everything but LA, Math, and French. I'm still working on how to deal with the toddler, though I have a few ideas spinning.

Quiverof10, what curriculum do you use to combine them all?

We use TOG for history, but have used SOTW in previous years. For science we have done a science encylopedia and library books, but this year we are using apologia elementary science books. Latin right now is LFC. Writing we are using IEW.

I just expect different things from each kid no matter what curriculum we use. SOTW, a 1st grader might narrate 1-2 sentences and a 5th grader might write 4-5+, same with science etc kwim?

Edited by Quiver0f10

It helps so much to combine and to have independent learners.

First, for math and LA most of my children use Time4Learning. I know there are other curricula out there that children can do pretty independently, and that's a huge help when you have several school-aged children.

Secondly, we combine for Bible, History, and Science. I try to hit for the middle, then add a extra independent work for older ones.

Next year, for Bible we are using the Betty Lukens Bible felts and stories. For my oldest, we will add in questions from Balancing the Sword.

For history, we'll be doing Biblioplan. Everyone will be together for the "basic" stuff - SOTW readings, things like that. I'll schedule a later time with my oldest to read/discuss logic stage things with her.

For science, we're covering similar topics at different levels. I will group my 4 middle children (who will be 3rd, 2nd, K, and K) into one science program. My oldest will study similar topics, but I'm expecting a lot of that to be independent study. We'll see how that goes.

Blessings,

Laura

I agree 100% with the top points that Lisa made. Routine, morning studies, independent seat work, no distractions, etc. are all crucial. I would add that if you find they need to spend more time studying in the afternoon, but they bulk at going back after lunch, to break down lunch into big snacks that they eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Ours start there work at 7:30. Break for breakfast at 8, snack at 10:30, snack at 1:30. No long periods of serious play, but long enough to run and jump a little. The under 8 crowd can play as soon as their studies are done, usually by 11.

For grades 7 and down, I read briefly from a history textbook written for 5th-6th grade. The children then read age appropriate historical fiction or non-fiction at their age level. I pick a related read aloud that fits the middle aged child. Depending on what they are studying I'll use Sonlight or plans I pull together myself. I've used dozens of things over the years and it doesn't matter as long as the child pays attention and mom finds it interesting enough to stick with it. Grades 3 and up have their own science book (Abeka except for 5th which are Apologia's botany and astronomy). We do nature study together once a week. Everyone has their own language arts and math program. Memorization is in common even with the high schoolers. High schoolers crave independence and have their own separate program.