Menu

Question for MUS users and standardized tests....

Another Lynn

I have started using the Spectrum Test Practice workbook with my ds, 3rd grade, to prepare him for his first standardized test later this spring. I just looked at the math section and I'm thinking there is a lot that he has never seen before! We are on lesson 20 of MUS Gamma. So my questions are 1)if you've btdt with MUS did your dc score low on math sections of standardized tests in the early years? 2) if so, did you decide to supplement with additional curriculum? 3)please add any other thoughts/suggestions you have about this issue.

Thanks!

3)please add any other thoughts/suggestions you have about this issue.

Thanks!

I don't have experience testing in the younger grades. But, perhaps my experience will be a comfort to you. I have a degree in math and my son is math-oriented. I have a dear friend with an average math student who tests slightly above grade level with MUS.

I have a detailed review that I post regularly. If you would like the entire review, email me. Here is an excerpt:

Sometimes, people ask about testing. Here is my experience. When my son was about ½ way through Epsilon (5th grade), I had to have him evaluated due to state law. He took the Woodcock Johnson test (national test which only took 30 minutes total), and the results were startling. His math calculation came out upper 8th grade and his math reasoning came out mid 9th grade! It took me a while to understand this. It does not mean that he is doing 8th/9th grade math work. It means that my son, working at 5.5 grade level, does as well as the average 8th/9th grader. When he was ½ way through Zeta (6th grade), he took the Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement and scored post high school in math.

HTH!