Menu

Would MFW ECC and BJUP Cultural Geography make a nice blend for 5th/9th?

Christy B

My dds love to stay on the same topic for History/Geography, and I'm leaning toward traditional textbooks for my high schooler (it suits her learning style better). My younger dd like more literature and project based learning.

I'm looking at BJUP's Cultural Geography for my 9th grader, and wondering if MFW ECC would be a good choice for the 5th grader. She is especially interested in missionary stories.

Is MFW terribly teacher intensive? I am hoping that she can do a lot of the work independently (given that she is in the mid-range for the suggested ages).

Also, can one purchase MFW materials used? I don't know that I would need the second edition, I'm sure I'd be quite happy with the first.

I'm using ECC with a 4th grader and two 5th graders this year. MFW is not teacher intensive at tall. Everything is planned for you in the weekly grid. However, I feel your dd would need a little guidance or further explanation in some subjects such as the mission stories, Bible reading, vocabulary, science, and culture/geography readings but it's not intensive. There is also a fun geography game to play. As for buying MFW used, try here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mfwcurriculumswap/

You can always checked here too

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/2/default.aspx

Don't forget that MFW has a wonderful support message board on the site. You can't buy or sell there but it's a great place for support.:)

HTH

I used BJ Geography a few years ago; the newer one you reference, Cultural Geography, isn't all too different from the previous edition in terms of the way it's set up structurally.

I've used MFW ECC as well and liked it.

The BJ geography goes continent by continent, and as such, would compliment the MFW nicely, I think.

You might have to re-arrange the sequencing of one or the other, of course.

So, in terms of just topics, I bet you could do both together.

I used BJ Geography a few years ago; the newer one you reference, Cultural Geography, isn't all too different from the previous edition in terms of the way it's set up structurally.

I've used MFW ECC as well and liked it.

The BJ geography goes continent by continent, and as such, would compliment the MFW nicely, I think.

You might have to re-arrange the sequencing of one or the other, of course.

So, in terms of just topics, I bet you could do both together.

Hm, if you've looked at both editions of the BJU -- do you think the newer edition is worth getting? Or would I likely be just as happy with the older edition? In looking at the samples, I thought that the newer edition had more emphasis on cultures (which I liked).

do you think the newer edition is worth getting?

For myself, I'd probably get the newer edition. It has some extras that the previous edition didn't have (can't exactly remember, it's been a while since I gave it a look).

And yes, I do think it has more cultural stuff, another plus, I think.

It's still organized according to continents just like the earlier one, if I'm remembering correctly, and that's why I thought it might harmonize with MFW ECC for the most part.

Their newer editions are more visually appealing as well in my opinion.

Thanks, everyone. We'll see if I stick with this plan for at least a week, and then I'll start ordering materials. :-)

We're all about visual appeal, Diane, so I agree that I'd probably prefer the newer edition. I'm picky; I've set aside perfectly good programs because I didn't like the *font* that they used. :glare: