Menu

How do I merge the Sound reading and RR

I will be getting my SR cd soon. I am wondering how I am suppose to do it with RR. Also what can I do to expand DS's day. Right now we are doing RR which seems to take two seconds unless we keep going and I am not sure how far to push us. We are also doing a bit of handwriting outside of RR. We do SOTW 2 Cd's and a color sheet or sometimes a craft. Occasionally we do an experiment ( not being good about this at the moment). Anyway our day feels short. Way too short for an eight year old. He even commented on it, today. I feel guilty that I still haven't picked a math for him. I especially feel guilty since last night when he was grilling with his dad I asked how much longer and his dad goes it has only been on three minutes and ds says with out missing a beat that there is 15 minutes left. We have never learned the facts and I have been very reluctant to move him forward since if I have written and equation he becomes all befuddle. I guess that is part of the automaticity and a dyslexia. What am I going to do?

Maybe I just needed to vent but I could really use some suggestions.

The Sound Reading CD has its own order that it goes in and you don't have any control over that. I would definitely watch as your child does the CD because you will see techniques you can do with RR. One of our sons was tutored by a Phonographix tutor. The sessions were about 45 minutes to run through all the stuff. So, whatever you are doing with RR, I would guess the answer is to do it longer--at least 30 minutes worth. Spend another 15 minutes or so with fluency readings. Choose something on or below your son's reading level and read it to him. (reading1) Then, he reads it to you and you time him for one minute and see how far he can go. Then repeat 2-3 times for one minute, noting how many words he read each time. Graph his results so he can see that he's getting faster and faster. Next, read something to him, using a pointer under the words as you read so that he can follow along. Have him narrate it back to you when you're finished.

You need to incorporate some writing. Can your son do handwriting? If so, you can do copywork, dictation, or have him narrate something to you, you write it down, and then he copies it.

Math: If written equations befuddle him, work with him using manipulatives. Both Miquon and Right Start make use of manipulatives. Flip a coin and get one and start.

Why do equations befuddle him? Are there developmental vision issues? Other reasons that he can't get meaning out of the written code of math? Have you had him tested?

Nature: being outdoors is great for kids. Take nature walks. Help him learn to identify birds, flowers, trees by sight or sound (for birds). Keep a nature journal. He can draw and dictate.

What is he good at? If he's good at Legos, for instance, I'd schedule that as part of his school day and get him a variety of building materials (K'nex, Circuits, etc.) and get more and more advanced stuff.

Hope there are some ideas here that you can use.

Yes the equations befuddle him do to developmental vision issues. As to the writing he can write but it is hard for him as he has dysgraphic tendencies. We are making progress but are still on one word copying.

We started with the RR just after getting our diagnosis and the eye dr has given me a bunch of things to work on his automaticity. As to making RR longer I think I need to be more willing to keep going. He is but I plan a day and just need to either plan more or be willing to just move it.

Math yes I do need to just pick one and run with it. I hadn't thought of miquon. I will look at that tonight.

Science we will head outside as soon as my southern bones dare venture out. We made to twenty today but there isn't a whole lot going on out there. Tomorrow we will see if the squirrels come out to make tracks in the fresh snow. Today we were talking about hibernation. He thought it was funny that he could compare me to a bear.

I love the building idea. He loves using his zoobs, kevas and has asked for legos for his birthday that is coming soon. That could be part of his day. Thanks for that suggestion.

Have you tried OT for the handwriting? If they can't help him, then go to keyboarding as soon as possible. Actually, it wouldn't hurt to start keyboarding now. My son is severely dysgraphic, and OT helped some--enough that he can print when he has to, but we use keyboarding for all written language.

I hadn't thought of trying to keyboard until we got some writing down but he has progressed to print if he has to like when we spell the RR words but copywork is painful. It would definitely lengthen the day if we were to write a sentence. We are making progress though since the beginning of the year his handwriting has made a marked improvement. All narration has to be oral and I write it down for him and then he draws a picture.

Yes the equations befuddle him do to developmental vision issues. As to the writing he can write but it is hard for him as he has dysgraphic tendencies. We are making progress but are still on one word copying.

We started with the RR just after getting our diagnosis and the eye dr has given me a bunch of things to work on his automaticity. As to making RR longer I think I need to be more willing to keep going. He is but I plan a day and just need to either plan more or be willing to just move it.

Math yes I do need to just pick one and run with it. I hadn't thought of miquon. I will look at that tonight.

Science we will head outside as soon as my southern bones dare venture out. We made to twenty today but there isn't a whole lot going on out there. Tomorrow we will see if the squirrels come out to make tracks in the fresh snow. Today we were talking about hibernation. He thought it was funny that he could compare me to a bear.

I love the building idea. He loves using his zoobs, kevas and has asked for legos for his birthday that is coming soon. That could be part of his day. Thanks for that suggestion.

be placed just outside a window so you can stay cozy inside. The same goes for bird feeders, though many people offer bird feeders. If you have trees immediately near your house, you can use binoculars from inside to check for any early bud changes. (swelling, color, etc) This works better from a sencond floor window.

You also mention that you haven't covered math facts. If he understands why 1+1=2, then I'd proceed with learning the facts. Math fact learning can be done seperately of math once they understand the why behind the facts. I also second the use of a manipulative based program.