Menu

All About Spelling users, some questions

Angel

After reading about AAS here, I checked it out on their website. This program looks like it would be wonderful for my very hands on dd next year. She loves the ducks in R&S Math and I think she would enjoy moving the tiles around to learn her spelling.

My questions are...

1. Will I be able to see this at a convention? Does anyone sell it or is it available only at her website?

2. Are there any workbook pages or is it all done orally? I couldn't figure that out from the material packet description and the lesson samples.

3. Did you purchase the Phonogram cd-rom? and one more

4. Did your child(ren) go pretty quickly through Level one and do level two in the same year?

We are currently doing ETC with my dd7 and I was planning to add spelling next year in 2nd grade.

Thanks so much!

Angel

First I do want to say that we use this as a remedial program for my 11yo dd. Though I don't think that makes a difference in regards to your questions (with the exception of the pacing).

1) I am not sure if you can see it at a convention. I searched at Rainbow Resource web-site and it did not come up, so I am guessing you can only purchase this through the publisher.

2) No, there are no workbook pages. You do dictate spelling words/phrases/sentences for your child to write on paper, but other than that it is done orally.

3) I did purchase the phonogram cd. My dd used it at the beginning to help her learn the sounds faster, but we haven't really used it since then.

4) My dd went through level 1 within in a few months, but as I said we are using it remedially (we also didn't use it daily, probably 3-4 times a week). A younger child may take a bit longer. Also, we don't do a complete step (that is what she calls them rather than lessons) per day. Some of them are a bit long so I break them up over a few days. We spend about 15 minutes a day on spelling and the shorter lessons help her to own the information better than if we spent 30-45 minutes to complete a step each day.

I am very pleased with this program and will continue with it for my dd. She has improved so much using AAS.

HTH

my dd7 began level 1 in September and we finished it shortly after Christmas--we are working through level 2 now--level 1 was extremely easy for her and i contemplated skipping it but now that we have finished it she has an extremely solid foundation and she has gained lots of spelling confidence...we don't do a lesson every day--maybe a step per week--we haven't even done AAS this week at all and likely won't--I also incorporate copywork so that helps with her spelling skills also...there are times when I have wished for a more workbook type approach, but I can't find one out there that satisfies me--we just received level 3 in the mail today...i am totally happy with this program and like that it is fairly inexpensive.

A note about level 1 being "easy"--on the website she gives the suggestion of saying, "Well, since it is so easy, let's hurry and get through it." I really like that and it worked on a few occasions with my dd7--she is 8 now though--and we enjoy the program. HTH!

I don't have much to add as these ladies answered your questions thoroughly, but I did not buy the CD and we are doing just fine. However, his phonics skills are great anyways. Also, I have had to modify it a bit because he hated having to use the spelling tiles. I have skipped that part for now, but will use them again when I see it necessary. We are not that far in the program (level 1 step 14 or 15 or something like that) but we will start level two as soon as we are done with one. Oh, and we do about a step every other school day.

I am stopping now since all I seem to be doing is rambling............

Thanks to you all for answering my questions so thoroughly. I'm really feeling led to this program. I wish it wasn't quite such a big chunk of $$ to get started with it, but oh, well. That will be the most expensive thing we buy next year for the little one. I always get her R&S math at the actual bookstore in KY and buy seconds so it's not so expensive. It's times like these that I keep reminding myself what we paid monthly at the Christian school when my older dd was there. Good thing the little one doesn't need much, 9th grade materials are a bit pricey for my older dd ;)

Now I'm rambling.

Thanks again,

Angel

Deece,

How much remedial work did your 11 year old need? My 12 year old needs help spelling, but I am hesitant to start him in level 1, as the website recommends. I don't think he needs *that* much remediation.

My dd needed a lot of remediation. She just was not making the connection between the sounds she heard and what letter/s made the sound (yes, we had done phonics in the past, a number of different programs and it just had not clicked for her). She reads a lot and that doesn't help her spelling at all. When we started the program, level 2 was not out yet so we started with level 1. I think I would have anyway because she really needed the foundation of connecting the sounds to the letters.

I hesitate to say skip level 1 because I think there is some good foundational stuff in there. You may want to get it and use it to fill in anything you think he may need to review and then move on to level 2. You could maybe find level 1 used so you don't have to pay full price for something you will go through quickly.

I know I am being wishy-washy, but I hate to say "Yes, you need level 1" and then you purchase it and find that you didn't. On the other hand, I don't want to tell you not to get it and then you wish you had.

I am not much help, am I? :o

Actually, I already have level 1 :) I use it with my 6 and 7 year old.

Thanks!

And for the OP: I did buy the CD, but we have never used it. We could have done without. However, I looked at Level 3 on the website last night, and they were highly recommending the CD for that level.

My little kids like it - they think it's fun.

Actually, I already have level 1 :) I use it with my 6 and 7 year old.

Thanks!

And for the OP: I did buy the CD, but we have never used it. We could have done without. However, I looked at Level 3 on the website last night, and they were highly recommending the CD for that level.

My little kids like it - they think it's fun.

Oh, well, in that case I would probably look through it and see if my dc needed a refresher on anything and go over it then just move on to level 2.

I have to get my level 3 ordered soon (I procrastinated and missed out on the sale she had on it in Jan. :() as we are nearing the end of level 2. I am trying not to rush through the levels because I don't want to have to wait extended periods of time for the next ones to come out.

What might be the purpose for needing the CD in Level 3? I suppose should look at Level 3. LOL

Do you have Level 2? The first lesson in it is a review of most, if not all, of Level 1.

I would not skip any of the levels because they cover rules that other programs will not cover. How fast you go through level one will depend on how much phonics your child has. If they know their letters and basic blending they should move quickly. If not it will depend on how fast your child picks it up and how much time you spend on it. The program is designed to go at the speed of your child. I did not get the phonogram CD as I already know the phonograms. This is definitely a good hands on program and with the tiles it is probably more effective than workbook pages and quicker. You will dictate words and then sentences to your child so they will get writing practice. How much practice is up to you.

Kris

Are you going to be teaching them the same level at the same time? You could probably get by with 1 set.

I also just ordered the magnets for the backs and now we don't have to alphabetize the tiles at the beginning of each level--which in level 2 and at the end of level 1 has gotten extremely redundant..so now they are up on our magnet board and we just get started right on the lessons! However I am having my 6yo who just began level 1 learn how to put them in ABC order--I think that is a super important skill that leads to so many other experiences in school.

I have just begun level 1 with my 6yo and realized that she would not be able to use the same tiles as my 8yo who is in level 2 so I made some up in a document file--they were really easy to make--then I printed them on cardstock--I suppose I could laminate them, but they are really sturdy on cardstock so if they need to be reprinted then I guess I could do that too...I color coded them exactly as the original tiles and they work just as well!

How many sets of tiles do I really need to teach 2 kids? 3 so we each have a set to work with?

AND how have you used it without the tiles?

Well.

We started out with one set of tiles. Then Mamalynx gave me the idea to use math tiles. So we were using those. Then, that bag got lost. I had a hard time finding the original set of tiles. But, I did. It was a great day here. Then, we managed to lose all of the extra tiles that we really need now. If your house is like ours, then you will need more than one set of tiles.

BTW, I also received the magnets for the backs of the tiles. I think that might have eliminated our problem with losing the tiles.

I ordered one set of tiles AND one set of magnets! I have 2 toddlers who love to walk off with things. Hopefully, the magnets on the magnet board will eliminate that a bit. I only ordered the one Level 1 set of books. I make them drill all their math flashcards each day so I see no reason not to do the same with these. Gee, I hope this works. This is my last choice out there. I think we have tried everything else but R&S and SWR.

Wish I had thought to just make my own tiles. DUH moment. Hey, I can blame it on the pregnancy brain!

Thank you all very much.