Menu

art in kindergarten

Lady Q

I have to write up a minimum course of study for kindergarten to send off to the state. One of the categories we should be covering is Fine Arts. I'm looking for ideas for what to include as my objectives in this category. I've started using Drawing with Children with ds4 and I plan on getting Artistic Pursuits for the second semester of K. I don't really know how to dress up my fine arts objectives in anything other than, "Draw lots. Use different media. Look at nice pictures." :D

So, share with me: What do you want your kids to get out of doing art in their kindergarten year?

Also, on a related note: Has anyone here used Drawing with Children successfully with preschool/k'ers? We've done a bunch of warmups, but I'm having a hard time translating all the theory into practical exercises. Maybe I should be looking for a more open-and-go program, even though I love all the theory behind it. :D

Thanks!

This is just my opinion, but having been an art teacher, it is REALLY important for them to get used to the materials. What I did for this year is had a sections of open ended art lessons (I only do art 1x a week since my dd HATES art). But each section might be 4 or 5 lessons long. If I did a painting lesson, the first session might be color mixing primary to secondary-let them experiment to see what happens when they mix the colors. The second unit might be to create a picture showing anger or happiness (to use a limited palette or number of colors). ETC. I would use tempera and watercolor during these lessons (but not at the same time).

Then I would do a unit of drawing-using crayons, colored pencils, and drawing pencils, a unit of sculpture (which can use cardboard, foam, pipcleaners, egg cartons, etc.), a unit of clay-you can use air dry clay, a unit of printing (you can stamp cut up veggies, you can do nature rubbings or rubbings on items around the house, you can ask your supermarket people nicely for meat trays and such and have your child draw a pic on it using a dull pencil (make sure its pretty deep) and then paint it and stamp it.

The key to this theory is to think of an idea-for example-What is your favorite animal. If they answer dog, have them create a dog out of boxes, masking tape, glue, etc. You might have to help them, but let them experiment with the idea that if its heavy on this side, it will tip over. Discuss ways to fix it. But let THEM try to fix it. Just assist if they are getting frustrated if glue isnt drying fast enough and you need to hold something. Its all about exploring the medium.

To get an idea of objections for legal purposes, you can look at California Education standards on their website under Kindergarten since they are very basic objectives.

<http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/vakindergarten.asp>

HTH!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. After re-reading what I wrote, Im not 100% sure that my thoughts were explained enough. LOL

Oh, thanks. Yes, what you said makes sense. I want our art study to be structured and purposeful, but with room to explore. And age-appropriate, of course. :D

I'd like for my kids to have a *chance* to develop their artistic skills. I self-labeled myself as "not-artistic" at a young age, and I regret. I'm looking for a combination of exploration, encouragement and gentle guidance (or maybe firm at times--my ds is fond of begging me to draw for him "because I can't!") to give them confidence in that area.

Hmmmm. I've been thinking about this since last night, and I'm having a tough time figuring out how I'd phrase art objectives for K! :tongue_smilie: I have a perfectionist on my hands (she can't do it a lot, too), so I first want to make art a positive experience for her. Like you, I self-labeled as not artistic. By the way, I want Drawing with Children for myself! :lol: Anyway, I want to build confidence and comfort first, and then I want exposure to art work and art mediums.

For what it's worth, my plan is to use the Come Look With Me series for art appreciation, probably weekly. I have Masterpiece of the Month, which covers K-5. There are 7 projects for K, and the idea is to use a masterpiece for inspiration. The listed sequence of "concepts and skills" for K includes: primary colors, proportions, placement in portrait, contour, fore-background perspective, and blobs as abstraction, in case any of that is remotely useful for you for objectives. I love Artistic Pursuits, too, but I'm saving that for at least 1st grade or so. This year we'll also do some projects/crafts from Art Through the Seasons. They're similar to things we did in a family craft class and that my DD really enjoys.

If nothing else, my ramblings should give you a bump! I'll be curious to see if anyone else chimes in with ideas on using Drawing with Children at these ages! :001_smile:

I have a perfectionist on my hands (she can't do it a lot, too), so I first want to make art a positive experience for her. Like you, I self-labeled as not artistic.

Sounds like my dd (and me!). What really helped open up dd was Ed Emberly's Fingerprint Drawing Book. We checked it out of the library and just drew circles instead of using fingerprints (though the fingerprints probably would have been more fun). She would pick a character or object that she wanted to draw and just followed the directions. She drew a ballerina over and over and over. :) Something clicked with her after using this book. She is drawing better but best of all she feels like she can do it.

I'm thinking about trying Drawing With Children too but I don't have any experience with it yet either.

Would incorporating Classics for Kids cd's from the library, a basic picture study, and reading picture books about artists & composers cover it for the state? Maybe at some point you could see a ballet (there are free ones in my area) or watch a video of one or another form of dance. After we watch any dance performance the kids are always trying different types of movement at home. I just provide the music for them to choose and off the go! That with the art technique you are already planning sound fine.

Your objectives would be something like exposure to classical music, ability to describe a work of art in the child's own words, familiarity with using multiple types of artistic media, experimenting with different types of artistic movement. If you want you can add specific artists and composers names and pieces of work but if the state is only asking for objectives the general purpose with a lot of jargon thrown in usually works ;).

I'm sorry you have to jump through so many hoops for the state. I am so greatful to live in a state where there is very little regulation!

HTH

Jesi

"The Kindergarten Art course will focus on exploring various styles of art using multiple mediums including (but not limited to) clay, colored pencils, mosaics, oil pastels and watercolor paints."

IMO, Kindergarten-level art is really just about playing and making messes. You want the child to feel comfortable using everything from paper, scissors and glue to oil pastels and air-dry clay.

Music is equally simple.

"The Kindergarten Music course will explore a variety of musical instruments and styles using recordings of each type and discussion of said."

Hmmmm. I've been thinking about this since last night, and I'm having a tough time figuring out how I'd phrase art objectives for K! :tongue_smilie: I have a perfectionist on my hands (she can't do it a lot, too), so I first want to make art a positive experience for her. Like you, I self-labeled as not artistic. By the way, I want Drawing with Children for myself! :lol: Anyway, I want to build confidence and comfort first, and then I want exposure to art work and art mediums.

For what it's worth, my plan is to use the Come Look With Me series for art appreciation, probably weekly. I have Masterpiece of the Month, which covers K-5. There are 7 projects for K, and the idea is to use a masterpiece for inspiration. The listed sequence of "concepts and skills" for K includes: primary colors, proportions, placement in portrait, contour, fore-background perspective, and blobs as abstraction, in case any of that is remotely useful for you for objectives. I love Artistic Pursuits, too, but I'm saving that for at least 1st grade or so. This year we'll also do some projects/crafts from Art Through the Seasons. They're similar to things we did in a family craft class and that my DD really enjoys.

If nothing else, my ramblings should give you a bump! I'll be curious to see if anyone else chimes in with ideas on using Drawing with Children at these ages! :001_smile:

Kirsten,

I got Drawing with Children more for me than the kids, I confess. She does a good job of busting myths about artistic ability and makes me feel confident about my ability to learn. Unfortunately, I haven't had too much time to sketch (my primary creative outlet is writing, so I give that the bulk of my leisure time). I also have this big book of drawing prompts called Doodles, which is fun to do. Sometimes I even let the kids do it with me. :D

We have two of the Come Look With Me books, and we get art books from the library also. If all we do during K is look at pictures and talk about them, I guess that's good enough. I'd considered Child-Sized Masterpieces at one point, but wondered if it would be overkill since I'm going to use Artistic Pursuits for the second half of K. (I want to line it up with TWTM history cycle starting in first grade). I've been eyeing these KidsArt booklets but I can't find any reviews of them (besides the positive endorsements on the site, of course!).

I have this thing about art books and art curriculum. I just love 'em! Even though I couldn't possibly use all of them. :P

Would incorporating Classics for Kids cd's from the library, a basic picture study, and reading picture books about artists & composers cover it for the state? Maybe at some point you could see a ballet (there are free ones in my area) or watch a video of one or another form of dance. After we watch any dance performance the kids are always trying different types of movement at home. I just provide the music for them to choose and off the go! That with the art technique you are already planning sound fine.

Your objectives would be something like exposure to classical music, ability to describe a work of art in the child's own words, familiarity with using multiple types of artistic media, experimenting with different types of artistic movement. If you want you can add specific artists and composers names and pieces of work but if the state is only asking for objectives the general purpose with a lot of jargon thrown in usually works ;).

I'm sorry you have to jump through so many hoops for the state. I am so greatful to live in a state where there is very little regulation!

HTH

Jesi

It's not so bad. :)

I actually like having to write down a list of objectives so that I don't lose sight of the big picture.

Ds will be doing some form of music lessons, so that part is all set. We get the Classical Kids CDs from the library a lot.

I can integrate the music and art with my geography country study. We listened to sitar music while doing India and watch YouTube videos of dragon dances while studying China. That all counts, right? :D

Thanks for your suggestions.

IMO, Kindergarten-level art is really just about playing and making messes. You want the child to feel comfortable using everything from paper, scissors and glue to oil pastels and air-dry clay.

I've had the kids using: crayons, colored pencils, collage materials, markers, tempera, watercolors...what other media should i be getting them to explore (we haven't done much with clay. that's going on my list)?

I should go with short, simple and vague so that we have freedom to explore whatever strikes our fancy. :)

I've had the kids using: crayons, colored pencils, collage materials, markers, tempera, watercolors...what other media should i be getting them to explore (we haven't done much with clay. that's going on my list)?

I should go with short, simple and vague so that we have freedom to explore whatever strikes our fancy. :)

Sounds about right to me. My kids really like oil pastels and sculpey.

This is just my opinion, but having been an art teacher, it is REALLY important for them to get used to the materials. What I did for this year is had a sections of open ended art lessons (I only do art 1x a week since my dd HATES art).

:iagree:

We used the guidelines in the book Teaching Children by Diane Lopez. Scroll down and you'll see her two-page recommendations. This is what dh has been using in a nutshell, with a bit of world history, art appreciation and cultures thrown in.