Menu

13 yo ds wants to do his personal project on the paranormal (CC)

He brought home a library book on local ghost stories and unsolved mysteries as well as watched a show on the History Channel called "Ancient Aliens"....about those who believe aliens visited Earth long ago and gave humans secret knowledge and will return in the future.

I am very uncomfortable with his fascination w/this topic. I believe strongly in Satan's desire to deceive us and lead us astray. I know there are good Christian sources on spiritual warfare, etc. My sister once heard a pastor say that we shouldn't let these kinds of materials into our homes as they provide a foothold for the devil.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle this. His fascination will only grow if I try to distract him from it (which is what I want to do)...I guess I should tackle it head on. How can I do this in a way that will result in building him up?

Thanks!

Can you have him research the belief you hold on the material before he starts to research it?

Let him know your concerns, and ask that together before you open that door, that you research your beliefs on the subject. Maybe if he comes to see your side of the issue, he will be led to make a similar conclusion. If at the end of the study, he still doesn't agree with you, maybe he will at least respect your reasons and still follow suit. Or maybe you will find there are certain topics that you are comfortable with like 'aliens are okay' paranormal 'demons, ghosts, deities are not'. Then you can pull the 'not in my house' or 'wait until you are out of my house' strategy if all else fails.

IMHO....Kids are much more likely to follow and respect a rule if they understand it.

If you are assigning the personal project, I think you have the right to veto certain topics that don't fit within your personal worldview.

That said, I think that discouraging kids from exercising their intellectual curiosity because they might encounter ideas that make us as parents uncomfortable is a bad idea. I don't think that telling kids, "Stay away, that's baaaaad" is a good way to teach them why we hold the values we hold. If a child doesn't fully understand the the opposing view, I don't think that child is really choosing the value we wish to instill.

Were it me and a subject I am uncomfortable with, I would say, "If you want to read library books on this subject in your spare time, you may, but you need to pick a different topic for the personal project.

Tara

He brought home a library book on local ghost stories and unsolved mysteries as well as watched a show on the History Channel called "Ancient Aliens"....about those who believe aliens visited Earth long ago and gave humans secret knowledge and will return in the future.

I am very uncomfortable with his fascination w/this topic. I believe strongly in Satan's desire to deceive us and lead us astray. I know there are good Christian sources on spiritual warfare, etc. My sister once heard a pastor say that we shouldn't let these kinds of materials into our homes as they provide a foothold for the devil.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle this. His fascination will only grow if I try to distract him from it (which is what I want to do)...I guess I should tackle it head on. How can I do this in a way that will result in building him up?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Kids are naturally curious, and you can't shelter your ds from every topic you don't believe in.

He probably just thinks it's kind of cool to imagine interesting aliens and ghosts, and wondering what they would be like. I don't think that equates to anything evil or Satanic. It's probably more of a "science fiction" thing to him, rather than something he sees as being "real."

Realistically, even if he starts to believe some of what he reads, it's an excellent opportunity for you to start a conversation on what you believe and why you feel as you do. Perhaps, too, as he researches and writes his paper, he may come to the conclusion (on his own) that he agrees with your point of view.

I agree that if you forbid him to read about these topics, it will probably backfire on you. That's why I think you should let him do the paper -- it will give you a great excuse to spend time talking about the subject matter in an "educational" way, without appearing to be too preachy. (You can ask him for concrete, valid support of the different theories, etc.)

Cat

I also really enjoy reading/watching things of this nature, but it hasn't eroded my faith. I watch more from a "isn't that funny" viewpoint. People will go to great lengths to come up with explanations for things when they don't want to credit God....and it's usually pretty obvious how ridiculous their statements are.

These types of things really just serve as a mental exercise for me. They challenge the way I think and cause me to look up information to clarify my own beliefs. Is there some way you can shape his project to do that? A compare/contrast type of thing?

You can use this as a wonderful opportunity to share your convictions about these things with him. I read a book years ago called The Beautiful Side of Evil. You might consider getting it, or a similar book, which describes the reasons why we should be alert, educated, and firmly planted in our own spiritual walk. Perhaps you might find it worthwhile to read parts of it aloud to him so you can have discussions. My dh also read a book by Neil Anderson that delves into the opportunities for deception within this topic. (The Bondage Breaker is more for an adult but could give you guidance.) Praying for peace and wisdom for you~

Ginger

I'm a Christian, and I also believe in the "paranormal." Where the source of it stems from is where I probably differ from what the Ghost Hunter type shows believe. I think it's something Satan uses to lure us in because most people have a fascination with it. Personally, I'd take advantage of his piqued curiosity to dig deeper into where you believe the source of these paranormal events come from. Can you talk to your pastor about spending some time with him in his research? Developing a good solid understanding on a spiritual level right off the bat will really benefit him in the long run, at least in my opinion.

Christa

Have you shared your thoughts on this, and asked him what fascinates him so much with this topic? I have a different persepective on it than you, perhaps because I had plans of being a paranormal psychologist when I first went to college for my psych degree (of course life circumstances required me to drop out), that was also long before I became a christian. I have had first hand experiences with the paranormal, as well my kids particularily my 10 yr old are very curious about it. I think that curiosity/interest is perfectly normal. When we still had cable they would watch ghost trackers, unsolved mysteries, paranormal state etc, I have bought them the usborne book of the paranormal. BUT I also caution them against things like oujia boards (I used to own one and using it alone is when my experiences started), seances and that sort of thing. I do believe that participating in those sorts of things opens doors that are meant to stay closed and certainly can allow evil to take root. I do not think reading about these topics or watching shows about it causes the same thing.

Honestly, I would be open with him about your concerns and beliefs, ask what in particular about the topic interests him -it is the mystery, is it the sense of fear but in a safe way from a book, is it just the aliens or ghosts or poltergiests etc. From there I would maybe suggest to him that his research project include not just events written about, but also what the various beliefs are about the paranormal, as well as conveying to him that you may be open to him reading about this topic but why participating in things like a seance or oujia board reading is unwise.

Of course if you are totally against this you need to let him know that too. I just think that at age 13 it is time to allow him to explore these topics openly rather than having him still reading those same books but behind your back. Allow this to become a topic to generate discussion about good vs evil, etc