Menu

Grammar questions please...

1) The rain poured down on the roof.

Is the subject rain or the rain?

2) Mom already in her seat was smiling as though she knew the secret.

Are there commas needed after Mom and seat? If so, why?

3) As we drove along we noticed that our duffle bags had been packed and were in the back of the vehicle. Boy were we aching to know where we were going!

Are commas needed after along and boy? If so, why?

4) Is it proper to say Orville, Wilber, and Me as part of a title? Why wouldn't you use 'I' instead of Me?

Thanks so much!

3) As we drove along we noticed that our duffle bags had been packed and were in the back of the vehicle. Boy were we aching to know where we were going!

4) Is it proper to say Orville, Wilber, and Me as part of a title? Why wouldn't you use 'I' instead of Me?

Thanks so much!

The simple subject is "rain". The complete subject is "The rain".

Mom, already in her seat, was smiling as though she knew the secret.

..."already in her seat" is extra information.

As we drove along, we noticed that our duffel or duffle (both correct) bags had been packed, and were in the back of the vehicle. Boy! Were we aching to know where we were going!

If you don't want to show too much emotion after "Boy", then you can put a comma instead.

Boy, were we aching to know where we were going!

It is a Title. You can use "Me".

However, a sentence is another story.

Sentence

Orville, Wilber, and I went to the store.

Cover Orville and Wilber. Now it says, "I went to the store". You wouldn't say "Me went to the store".

Edited by LUV2EDU

1. Misplacing a comma can lose friends!

Putting a comma in the wrong place can lead to a sentence with a completely different meaning, look at these two examples:

• I detest liars like you, I believe that honesty is the best policy.
  • I detest liars; like you, I believe that honesty is the best policy.

A Guide to English Punctuation

http://www.edufind.com/english/punctuation/comma.cfm

As we drove along, we noticed that our duffel or duffle (both correct) bags had been packed, and were in the back of the vehicle. Boy! Were we aching to know where we were going!

Thank you so much!

I thought there needed to be one after along, but why? And, why one after packed?

Thank you for your help!

Thank you so much!

I thought there needed to be one after along, but why? And, why one after packed?

Thank you for your help!

"As we drove along..." is considered an introductory dependent clause.

"Introductory Clauses

Introductory clauses are dependent clauses that provide background information or "set the stage" for the main part of the sentence, the independent clause. For example:

If they want to win, athletes must exercise every day. (introductory dependent clause, main clause)

Because he kept barking insistently, we threw the ball for Smokey. (introductory dependent clause, main clause)

Introductory clauses start with adverbs like after, although, as, because, before, if, since, though, until, when, etc."

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/03/

As we drove along, we noticed that our duffel or duffle (both correct) bags had been packed(,)and were in the back of the vehicle. Boy! Were we aching to know where we were going!

Sorry!:001_smile: The comma after the word "packed" was a mistake.

However, if "...and were in the back of the vehicle" were an independent clause, then the comma would have been correct.

"Quick Guide to Commas

1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet."

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/01/

Independent clause:

"...independent clause (or main clause) is a clause that can stand by itself as a grammatically viable simple sentence. Independent clauses express a complete thought and contain a subject and a predicate. Multiple independent clauses can be joined."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:independent+clause&ei=uLbtSd7fNIuNtgfq9LHHDw&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

So, if you change the clause to "...and our duffel bags" , then the clause would have a subject and a predicate. It would be able to stand alone as a sentence.

Stand Alone Sentence

Our duffel bags were in the back of the vehicle.

Independent Clause

...(,)and our duffel bags were in the back of the vehicle.

Edited by LUV2EDU

Simple subject: "rain"

Complete subject: "the rain"

"already in her seat" is a parenthetical expression. It can be removed from the sentence without changing anything. It needs to be set off by commas. Think of the commas as tongs that you can use to pick the phrase right out of the sentence.

"As we drove along" is an introductory phrase, and is set off by a comma. Again, it can be removed from the sentence without changing the structure or meaning of the sentence.

No other commas needed.

Note: If the second part of the sentence had contained the word "we" (as in "we noticed"), then you would have needed a comma along with the conjunction "and". However, since there is no second "we", it is simply a compound predicate, and doesn't require a comma with the conjunction.

Because it is a title, and not a complete sentence, there is nothing to say whether you should use the nominative case (subject - I), or the objective case (object - Me). You get to choose.

You might imagine what the rest of the title might say, if it were a sentence. IF it would be "O, W, and I Had a Great Day", then you'd use "I". If it would be something like "It Was a Great Day for O, W and Me" then use "Me".

Or, you might choose "Me" just because you like the way it sounds. :)

Thanks so much!

Hope it helps!

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

LOVE2EDU, Suzanne, and Linda,

You gals sure do know your grammar. So, can you give me some advice?

My oldest child is 10. Right now I have her almost through Rod & Staff 2. I really like Rod & Staff, but am concerned that it may be too much for my next oldest, who is a boy (should there be a comma there?:)). It seems to be very thorough. Do you have a grammar program that you recommend? I was also thinking about JAG/AG, Easy Grammar, and Winston Grammar.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions with me!

Thanks!

My oldest child is 10. Right now I have her almost through Rod & Staff 2. I really like Rod & Staff, but am concerned that it may be too much for my next oldest, who is a boy (should there be a comma there?:)). It seems to be very thorough. Do you have a grammar program that you recommend? I was also thinking about JAG/AG, Easy Grammar, and Winston Grammar.

Thanks!

With grammar, I would honestly suggest you follow along with your oldest child -- use the same book -- so that you can build your own grammar up along the way. Grammar and math are difficult to homeschool if you are not confident in them (at least at the level your child is at).

Thanks!

Hi Terri. It's Suzanne again.

I have both my kids in Rod & Staff. They both started with First Language Lessons when they were half way through first grade, and finished it at the end of second grade. Then, they each started Rod and Staff 3 when they started 3rd grade. It is very thorough. Dd just finished R&S English 7, and Ds is just finishing Grade 5. Dd has been doing it independently for the past two years, and currently knows more grammar than I do. Ds needs more help, so I'm re-learning it along with him. All the grammar I shared with you the other day was stuff I recently learned in R&S 5. :) Unless there is a reason you think it's not a good fit for your dc, I'd stick with Rod & Staff. Just give your son all the support he needs.

I wouldn't put a comma after packed in that example. What comes after it can't stand alone.

It was a mistake.:001_smile:

Quote from #5 Post.

As we drove along, we noticed that our duffel or duffle (both correct) bags had been packed(,)and were in the back of the vehicle. Boy! Were we aching to know where we were going!

Sorry!:001_smile: The comma after the word "packed" was a mistake.

However, if "...and were in the back of the vehicle" were an independent clause, then the comma would have been correct.

"Quick Guide to Commas

1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet."

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/01/

Independent clause:

"...independent clause (or main clause) is a clause that can stand by itself as a grammatically viable simple sentence. Independent clauses express a complete thought and contain a subject and a predicate. Multiple independent clauses can be joined."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...ition&ct=title

So, if you change the clause to "...and our duffel bags" , then the clause would have a subject and a predicate. It would be able to stand alone as a sentence.

Stand Alone Sentence

Our duffel bags were in the back of the vehicle.

Independent Clause

...(,)and our duffel bags were in the back of the vehicle.

Unless there are issues I don't know about, a 10yo should be able to do Rod & Staff on grade level. (Or, maybe the 2 was a typo?) I think you could definitely learn it alongside her, but if you're going to use R&S for writing as well as grammar, I would try to do it on grade level.

Even tho' I use Rod & Staff, I wouldn't hesitate to use the JAG with Wordsmith Apprentice (or IEW) with a 10yo. I bet that would be more "fun".

Blessings to you~