Menu

First College Visits, tips for visiting with baby? How much talking should I do?

Kendall

I should have posted this sooner. My oldest, a junior, myself, and my 10 month old are visiting 2 colleges over the next 2 days. I'm feeling a little nervous. I've read, printed, and am taking with us the visiting tips. Thanks everyone for posting those. I hope I ask the right questions. I hope my son asks questions. I hope I don't speak when he should. I hope the baby doesn't make noise at the wrong times. I hope it is clear at the end of the two days which school(s) we should rule out or in.

I can't be the only one in the world that has needed to take a baby along. Any special tips? If not I'll probably have some when I get back!

My niece accompanied my teen and me on a college tour; she had her toddler along. My best advice to you would be to suggest a meeting place for you to reconnect with your son at the end of the tour (i.e., the cafeteria, a student lounge, the college green) in case you and the baby need to bow out early. Also, take a baby backpack or sling since a lot of the buildings are not stroller friendly.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

I have seen lots of babies on the college visits we have done over the last year and a half. My best suggestion to you is to plan questions before hand for your son so that if you need to leave with a fussy or just talkative baby, he will not feel that he has been left flatfooted. And as Kareni suggested, pick a time and meeting place so that you are feeling scrambled.

Don't take a stroller to campus if you can avoid it. I have seen several families struggling with them....it just doesn't work. I used a sling when we lived in a third world country when ds was a toddler...it was a life saver. the stroller just couldn't work....too many stairs, tight openings, irregular pavements....Different circumstance, but similar topography to a campus...

Give your ds a list of questions on a clipboard. Even if you are there, too (baby cooperating) let HIM ask the questions and jot down answers. That was he will look more interested...and you will have the info if you need to bow out with uncooperative baby.

Thanks everyone! I took a sling for short time periods and a more comfortable carrier (mei tai) for the long tours. I bowed out when needed, made meeting spots, and had questions ready for my son to ask. My biggest tip to anyone is don't do visits with a baby two days in a row if you can help it. I was exhausted.

What I didn't count on was that even scheduled visits (as opposed to junior/senior etc days) still might have more than one student visiting. I avoided the "days" because I didn't want baby making noises to disturb any other familes. It worked out okay though, and everyone commented on how good she was. The meeting that at the beginning looked like it would be the worst (talkative baby, nervous professor-at first he was visibly startled everytime she made a noise) turned out to be the best meeting.