Menu

TOG Year 1 Redesigned - Can you lighten up the Bible parts?

Catwoman

I just read HappyGrace's thread about the biblical tie-ins for TOG Redesigned Year 1, and I have a similar question -- that goes in the opposing direction!

I'm wondering if there's any way to lighten up the Bible portion of TOG Year 1 Redesigned. I don't necessarily want to totally secularize it, as I know that's probably not even possible. However, I don't want to teach ancient history entirely from a biblical point of view; I want to include secular resources as well.

Thanks for any ideas anyone can provide!

Cat

I just read HappyGrace's thread about the biblical tie-ins for TOG Redesigned Year 1, and I have a similar question -- that goes in the opposing direction!

I'm wondering if there's any way to lighten up the Bible portion of TOG Year 1 Redesigned. I don't necessarily want to totally secularize it, as I know that's probably not even possible. However, I don't want to teach ancient history entirely from a biblical point of view; I want to include secular resources as well.

Thanks for any ideas anyone can provide!

Cat

Cat,

I don't see why not. They already recommend some secular resources, like Usborne for the LG level. You can skip the Bible portion of the readings, and just do the History readings.

Heather

Karen -- I recently bought a complete set of Year 1 Redesigned at our local curriculum fair, but I haven't had much time to go through it. I saw a thread earlier today that made it sound (to me) as though Year 1 was a lot more Bible-oriented than I'd originally thought when I skimmed through it, so I thought I'd post my own thread to see if that was really the case. I'm not "anti-Bible" by any means, but I generally use secular resources for history.

I just checked out the link to your website, and found so much wonderful information there -- I remember having bookmarked it a few weeks ago, but of course, things got busy and I forgot all about it. I won't forget again this time!

Heather -- Thanks for the info about the secular resources. I was getting worried that TOG wouldn't work for me. I'm currently in a quandary as to what to use next year, anyway, as I'd already bought Oak Meadow Fifth Grade, and then found TOG at the curriculum fair. And then there's always our "tried and true" BJU DVDs... I hate all this confusion!

Thanks again, Karen and Heather!

Cat

I will be using TOG Year 1 secularly. We are starting this fall. I have a LG and D/R. I did have to go through and cut some books and add different ones as well as adding in a week for a Pre-History study. If you have specific questions on what I have done, email me and I would be happy to help. I think this TOG is going to be the hardest to adapt but it can be done.

chimp1984a@yahoo.com

Hope this helps!