Menu

Traffic citation rant...am I right in what I'm thinking?...

I got a traffic citation 2 wks. ago for failing to have an inspection sticker on my car (dh's car actually). Okay, dh's fault...he never got the car inspected in PA (we purchased in MD). So, the officer (this young guy who couldn't have been 2 days out of high school), issues my ticket (he couldn't have given me a warning, right?:mad:) and explains that he left the fine blank b/c he didn't know what it would be (different fines for first or second offenses). Okay, I get that. So, I pay the part of the ticket that is written down (you know, the fees that they add in?). I get a letter back saying I owe another $43...$10 for the fine and $33 for cost. COSTS? There wasn't an amount for costs written on my original citation! The officer left those off! THe clerk at the magistrates office added that in AFTER THE FACT! I signed the citation, agreeing to the terms that were listed. WHY should I have to pay the costs when the officer didn't write them in for me to agree to? Does anybody KWIM? The clerk at the magistrates office was not help...she said that she agreed w/ me but my only option was to take it to court and plead my case before the judge. If I win, I don't pay...If I lose I pay the fees PLUS more court costs! SHe said call the officer and explain it to him...like he can really do anything. I'm fuming. Just fuming. Okay, so it's only $33 but it's the principal. I HATE beinh stepped on. That is all.

It differs from town to town, or parish to parish what a traffic violation will cost, but and expired inspection sticker is usually around $50 here.

However, you usually have to call the number they provide at the bottom of the ticket and keep your fingers crossed that it's under $200. I'm not kidding. Seat belt tickets are usually $50. Moving violations of any kind start at $100 and go up from there, as do accident tickets.

Go to court. I did that once in Florida. I forgot to get the new plates for our car...I'd been too busy throwing up umpteen times a day. DH and I were out for the first evening in, oh, months, when we got stopped. The officer told me that if I got the plate, the ticket would only be $10. So, I went to pay the ticket and the court clerk said it was $52. Long story short....I refused to pay the fine as I still had time to meet the deadline. Then I went home and researched it. Turns out the officer AND the court clerk were wrong. According to state statute, the fine should have been $22. I realize that's peanuts, but it was the principle of the thing! On the advice of an attorney (friend), I requested a court date. When I showed up 8.5 months pregnant with all the print outs of the statute, the court officer asked me why I didn't get the plate. I told her I'd spent most of the previous months being sick and had forgotten. I had to provide proof that I'd purchased the plate and my case was dismissed. I paid ZERO.

I'm not trying to get away w/ not having the sticker...I didn't have it. I paid the ticket, admitting to it and paying my consequences. It was dumb, but I was guilty. What makes me mad is that this stupid officer will NOT have to admit to his error and pay ANY consequences for his mistake. Here I am, a common citizen, taking responsibility for my error and paying the consequences. Here he is, an officer of the Commonwealth of PA, getting away with his error and not having to do didly to remedy it, KWIM? Makes me just as mad as when I see police officers SPEEDING for absolutely NO reason except that they can!

In Kansas any traffic ticket includes an amount for the violation plus a court cost. You must pay the court cost whether you take it to court or just opt to pay the fine. Since this officer was new, he probably just didn't remember how to fill the paper work out correctly. I would just pay the extra amount. It ticks me off that I have to pay court costs if I don't contest a ticket (and I know it can't be that difficult to file paperwork), but that's just the way it is.

maybe I am missing something, but it seems that he said when he gave you the ticket that he didn't know what all the costs would be.

And here, they don't write in the amount on the ticket-you get that later in the mail and it always has court costs. I had a ticket for not having a registration sticker, but it is a fix-it ticket here. As long as I went down to the station and had an officer sign off that I now have a sticker I only paid the court costs-but the costs were still there...

It was an error on his part...the clerk at the Magistrates office even concurred with that (even mentioned that this particular officer had several other citations missing the COSTS). The clerk said that the COSTS section should have been filled out by the officer. My dh even says that "they can do whatever they want". THAT really bugs me. I have to follow the law, but THEY don't? GRRRRRRR.....is all I have to say.

I don't think you are being "stepped on", and I don't think you are being ripped off. Court costs are figured after the fact, not listed on the ticket itself. I say pay it and move on, it's not worth getting all worked up about, and there really isn't any injustice happening here, the officer didn't cause you to have to pay any more than you would've had to pay if you had paid the whole fine+costs at once. :)

Hugs, tickets are stressful ((((()))))