Menu

Agent rejection question

First, I want to say, it must be really hard to be in a business where every. word. you. write. is PORED over by poor, desperate wannabe writers. But isn't that why you either a) never respond or b) write form letters?

This is what I got tonight:

Thank you for querying me. Unfortunately I am going to have to pass at this time. Please don't take this rejection as a comment on your writing ability, because it isn't intended to be one. I'm sure another agent will feel differently.

Best of luck to you with the submission process.

It was so kind of this lady to take the time to write a personal response, but I guess it strikes me as strange to go out of your way to say that you didn't not like something. Does that make sense? I guess it seems like it would have been easier to go w/ the form letter. (I'm glad she didn't.) Or if her point was to be encouraging...say something positive, instead of a double negative. I guess...it kind-of makes me laugh, because...it's all such a mystery, kwim? In the end, I have no idea what she meant. Other than no.

I keep getting these personal notes w/ variations on "*I* can't use this piece, but someone can."

I'm not complaining. Just musing, I guess. This isn't what I'd read that the process of submitting stuff would be like. I like to understand processes, & I don't understand this one, kwim?

First, I want to say, it must be really hard to be in a business where every. word. you. write. is PORED over by poor, desperate wannabe writers. But isn't that why you either a) never respond or b) write form letters?

This is what I got tonight:

Thank you for querying me. Unfortunately I am going to have to pass at this time. Please don't take this rejection as a comment on your writing ability, because it isn't intended to be one. I'm sure another agent will feel differently.

Best of luck to you with the submission process.

It was so kind of this lady to take the time to write a personal response, but I guess it strikes me as strange to go out of your way to say that you didn't not like something. Does that make sense? I guess it seems like it would have been easier to go w/ the form letter. (I'm glad she didn't.) Or if her point was to be encouraging...say something positive, instead of a double negative. I guess...it kind-of makes me laugh, because...it's all such a mystery, kwim? In the end, I have no idea what she meant. Other than no.

I keep getting these personal notes w/ variations on "*I* can't use this piece, but someone can."

I'm not complaining. Just musing, I guess. This isn't what I'd read that the process of submitting stuff would be like. I like to understand processes, & I don't understand this one, kwim?

Aubrey, I don't know, but I'm not absolutely certain that other people will not know, too.

:D

Aubrey, I don't know, but I'm not absolutely certain that other people will not know, too.

I think you could write these letters. I could pore over your words for a couple of days, easy.

So...did that mean you want to read the full ms...or...not?

They write those kinds of letters because if they come right out and say they don't like it (or that it's not good), they tend to get harassing letters back from some authors. And hate mail. And death threats, LOL.

By writing these inoffensive, namby-pamby notes, it's difficult for writers to take offense. After all, the editor didn't say the writing was bad....just that she couldn't sell it (or whatever).

Yes, it is very annoying.

But keep submitting. This is a lousy time to be trying to get published. All you can do is keep at it.

The thing is though, that certain agents and certain publishers only publish certain kinds of books. And even in that genre they will have certain trends that they are going with that year. I had one rejection letter that told me that they really liked my story but that animal stories weren't

in" at the moment. So sometimes it really isn't about the writing per se - it's all about the marketing.

This isn't what I'd read that the process of submitting stuff would be like. I like to understand processes, & I don't understand this one, kwim?

Actually, this is what I pictured the process being like. Except I wouldn't be surprised at it taking 1 - 2 years for a response. Most of the authors biographies I have read talk about sending their manuscripts in to several publishers, and being rejected (with either no reason at all or something flimsy) several times, before it was finally published and became the classic or blockbuster we know today.

Absolutely, submit it to another agent. Perseverance is the key. I would take the mere existence of a personal note as encouragement to keep trying. :001_smile:

So sometimes it really isn't about the writing per se - it's all about the marketing.

I agree. The agent must have thought enough of your writing if she took the time to write a personal note... or at least that's what all of my bazillion "how to get published" books have said.

I think you should consider it encouraging that the agent wrote the note. I also think it may be worthwhile to make a few phone calls before submitting your query to different agents, to see if they handle books like yours. Otherwise, you may be wasting their time -- and setting yourself up for a long waiting game to hear back from them, only to be disappointed in the response.

Anyway, if you keep getting personal notes, it means your writing is good. You're just sending it to the wrong people (or you need to consider the possibility of writing about different topics if you want to get published more easily.)

Good luck!!! :grouphug:

Cat

I agree. The agent must have thought enough of your writing if she took the time to write a personal note... or at least that's what all of my bazillion "how to get published" books have said.

LOL--that's what dh says, but he's always so sweet about everything, I don't listen to him.

I think you should consider it encouraging that the agent wrote the note. I also think it may be worthwhile to make a few phone calls before submitting your query to different agents, to see if they handle books like yours. Otherwise, you may be wasting their time -- and setting yourself up for a long waiting game to hear back from them, only to be disappointed in the response.

I do. I spend hours researching agents, the books they've recently published, interviews they've done, etc., so that I'm not just sending the right kind of story to the right kind of agent, but so I can show them that I know what they're interested in & point out ways that this particular story meets their criteria.

This particular query was for something harder to sell, so I wasn't holding my breath. I was really surprised to get a personal note, kwim? But someone else mentioned...maybe that *is* her form letter. I reread it, & you know...it could be. LOL In that case, she's *really* good. :001_smile:

Actually, this is what I pictured the process being like. Except I wouldn't be surprised at it taking 1 - 2 years for a response. Most of the authors biographies I have read talk about sending their manuscripts in to several publishers, and being rejected (with either no reason at all or something flimsy) several times, before it was finally published and became the classic or blockbuster we know today.

Absolutely, submit it to another agent. Perseverance is the key. I would take the mere existence of a personal note as encouragement to keep trying. :001_smile:

No, I expected years' worth of rejections. What I meant was, I hadn't expected them to be so nice. :lol:

Aubrey,

You have to read Stephen King's On Writing. He talks quite a bit about this. He says that when you first start out, you get no responses at all and then as you get better you start getting form letters. Eventually the hand written notes and then some day the notes that say, I couldn;t personally use this but I thought it was really good so I forwarded it to my friends at _______. This means you are doing well. Keep up the the good job, hon. Success is just around the corner.

Wow, at least you received a personal response! I am jealous!!:001_smile:

I think my queries are in outer space or cyber space:tongue_smilie:!

All it takes is one yes and there you go....down the road to success and we will be saying "YEAH Aubrey!!"

I've read that the publishing business is being affected by the economic slowdown. Maybe she just feels that she wouldn't be able to get results right now. Or maybe she is full up with responsibilities relating to current clients. Or maybe she has some other reason. But it just reads to me like she doesn't want to take it on because she doesn't think she can be effective for you as an agent (for whatever reason).

The fact that she wanted you to know if wasn't a comment on the writing ability, does seem like a bit of encouragement, even if backhanded.

At least you got a response. SWB has a post on her blog about getting a response to an unsolicited manuscript she sent to a publisher. She'd sent the manuscript out seven years ago.

The thing is though, that certain agents and certain publishers only publish certain kinds of books. And even in that genre they will have certain trends that they are going with that year. I had one rejection letter that told me that they really liked my story but that animal stories weren't

in" at the moment. So sometimes it really isn't about the writing per se - it's all about the marketing.

This is exactly what happened with the book dh published. He spent a year or more sending out queries (sometimes even with extensive follow up like full soft copy for peer review). He had actually shelved the project when one of the houses that had rejected him came back and asked if the manuscript was still available. Evidently, they'd had recent success in that topic and wanted to put out more.

I think it is a very unpredictable, fashion oriented business.

I think it is a very unpredictable, fashion oriented business.

Very much so, I fear.

From what I hear, NO body is buying manuscripts right now. Everyone in publishing seems to be holding their collective breaths waiting for houses to fold, the economy to get worse, or, hopefully, for the economy to get hot again.

A personal note is a good thing. File it and send out your manuscript again. (They have to start buying sometime!) Have you been to any writer's conferences? A 'one-on-one' session or two with a few agents might be the push your book needs to get the proper notice.

Aubrey,

You have to read Stephen King's On Writing. He talks quite a bit about this. He says that when you first start out, you get no responses at all and then as you get better you start getting form letters. Eventually the hand written notes and then some day the notes that say, I couldn;t personally use this but I thought it was really good so I forwarded it to my friends at _______. This means you are doing well. Keep up the the good job, hon. Success is just around the corner.

I just started reading this. I'm only five or so pages into it, but I'm having a hard time picturing Stephen King as a small child.

Aubrey, you got a personal response, I think that's awesome. Agreed, keep up the good work.

I just started reading this. I'm only five or so pages into it, but I'm having a hard time picturing Stephen King as a small child.

That is one of my favorite books on writing! Just wait until you get to the second half. Good stuff.

At least you got a response. I expect when I start querying to get rejects and will keep trying no matter what.

Keep trying and don't give up. There is this wonderful post at Murderati today by Toni Causey that everyone should read. Fantastic group blog with multi murder mystery writers.

I probably should come up with a post of some of my links when I have more time - they are very helpful when comes to writing and editing and whatnot.