Menu

Time to weed out the bad choices in curriculum! Latin suggestions needed!

Mrs. H.

Dd will be in 6th next year, and she has done Prima Latina and LC I. She loved PL, but LC I has been boring and difficult. I don't think there is enough explanation in the teacher's manual. Perhaps it all comes together in LC II, but I don't want a program that requires all the DVDs and other expensive stuff in order to get the job done.

What I want is a Latin program that is excellent, doesn't require tons of 'extras', and teaches the concepts that go with each lesson, not a book that tells you 'memorize this and we'll explain later.' I would also love something that concentrates more on reading and writing Latin instead of just memorizing vocabulary lists, conjugations, and declensions. I just don't feel like LC II is going to meet those requirements for us, so I'm open to suggestions. We will be finishing LC I this year, because dd is not opposed to it, but she isn't just thrilled about doing it either.

Thanks to all.

I haven't had it in my hot little hands yet ( I can't order until Friday) but I have heard some good things about Galore Park books and it is what we will be getting. We got stuck in Latin Primer because it was too boring for words. Dd liked the Latin Prep as it is more colorful and the narration made her laugh. You can check them out at http://www.Galorpark.co.uk

I am ordering through horriblebooks.com

I don't think you are going to like LCII is you don't like LCI. It's the same set up, and even though I like LCI, I'm not happy with LCII; it feels too haphazard or disconnected. I don't know, it could be just me.

Anyway, for more of a reading program approach to Latin, I would suggest Lingua Latina: http://www.pullins.com/txt/LinguaLatina.htm#set_1

We are reading slowly through this right now, but I plan to be a little more focused with it next year in addition to our slow study through Wheelock's Latin.

I don't want a program that requires all the DVDs and other expensive stuff in order to get the job done.

That's funny that you mention the expense of Latin. I was just tallying up the $$ this morning what we have spent this year on LC 1 & 2 and the tutor fees. For next year, I just ordered Henle materials, Lingua Latina materials, signed dc up for the Memoria online class for next year AND secured another Latin tutor to take us to "the next level".

The only way the job will get done here is if I spend the $$ to get it done. It means that much to this non-Latin mom.

We've had great success w/ Memoria materials. I love that it is Christian Latin. Just this morning my kids were translating "Get Behind Me, Satan" and having a ball doing it. I love the Biblical references. I would not get that from Latin Prep or any other classical/secular program (someone correct me if I'm wrong). We love the ecclesiastical pronunciation and the beautiful hymns and songs that Memoria published on their Lingua Angelica CD. We all sing the songs -- which brings Latin into the "real world" for us.

I'd be happy to let you know any specifics about how we've made LC 1 & 2 a success story here.

I hope you find something that works well to accomplish your goals. :)

Flu-induced fog of the brain has left my vocabulary bare, but haphazard describes LC I to a tee. I just don't feel like it's all coming together, and I don't want to waste another year (and mucho $$$) feeling this way.

Dd will be in 6th next year, and she has done Prima Latina and LC I. She loved PL, but LC I has been boring and difficult. I don't think there is enough explanation in the teacher's manual. Perhaps it all comes together in LC II, but I don't want a program that requires all the DVDs and other expensive stuff in order to get the job done.

What I want is a Latin program that is excellent, doesn't require tons of 'extras', and teaches the concepts that go with each lesson, not a book that tells you 'memorize this and we'll explain later.' I would also love something that concentrates more on reading and writing Latin instead of just memorizing vocabulary lists, conjugations, and declensions. I just don't feel like LC II is going to meet those requirements for us, so I'm open to suggestions. We will be finishing LC I this year, because dd is not opposed to it, but she isn't just thrilled about doing it either.

Thanks to all.

I switched to Latin Prep and agree with the other posters who say that it fulfills what you want in a Latin program. It makes so much more sense to me!

I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on all the different Latin programs and resources I've purchased over the years, not only for my boys, but for myself too. However, it is cheaper than private school or tutoring, and I've been able to learn from my past buying experiences. So I don't count it all a loss.

Echo-ing the sentiments of many before me: Latin Prep will do all that you're asking. One thing to be aware of is that the order of the cases is British (nom, acc, gen, dat, abl), not the traditional order that you've learned in LC (nom, gen, dat, acc, abl). Not a huge problem, just something to be aware of.

Another text that will do all that you're asking is Henle.

Both these texts are going to move faster than what you're used to in LC, but feel free to take them at your own pace.