Menu

Need input about the play 'A Streetcar Named Desire'

I have a chance to get tickets to see this, but I've never seen it or the movie version, so I don't know if it would be appropriate for a 10 yr. old girl (movie reviews rate it PG-13, but sometimes movies can be better or worse than theatrical versions), or my 65 yr. old, straight-laced Baptist grandmother.

Info. needed from those who have actually seen this...what do you think? Bad language? Too much s*x? Family-friendly?

Thanks.

My daughter is 15 and her high school just did this play in December. I had not seen anything about it either. I was very uncomfortable letting my daughter see it and she had auditioned for a role! There is a rape in the play. Not at all appropriate for a 10 year old. It is a really adult play that children should not see.

I have a chance to get tickets to see this, but I've never seen it or the movie version, so I don't know if it would be appropriate for a 10 yr. old girl (movie reviews rate it PG-13, but sometimes movies can be better or worse than theatrical versions), or my 65 yr. old, straight-laced Baptist grandmother.

Info. needed from those who have actually seen this...what do you think? Bad language? Too much s*x? Family-friendly?

Thanks.

...Marlon Brando would IMHO not be fare for a 10year old. LOL, can't say about Grandma...but I also have not seen any theatrical version of this.

I'm torn as to whether or not even I should go see it. I kind of have a problem going to see things that my dd can't now that she's not really a "little" girl anymore.

I'm trying to set a good example for her to follow, so seeing something that I would view as innapropriate for her at 10 (or even 15, I can see your point!), probably means that I shouldn't go to it either, simply out of principle.

I'm torn as to whether or not even I should go see it. I kind of have a problem going to see things that my dd can't now that she's not really a "little" girl anymore.

I'm trying to set a good example for her to follow, so seeing something that I would view as innapropriate for her at 10 (or even 15, I can see your point!), probably means that I shouldn't go to it either, simply out of principle.

I don't really understand that line of thinking. There are many things that are appropriate for you that are not appropriate for a 10 year old. You are more mature and have a deeper level of understanding. You already know about rape and it will not come as a shocking "let me make sense of this" kind of thing in the context of a play.

This play is actually a very compelling, well written, thought provoking piece of theatre. I would think that when she is doing high school level work this play would be on the reading list. But that's when she's in high school, not now. There are many great pieces of literature that are assigned to students of a certain age that are not assigned to 5th graders, that's just the way it works. Don't throw the baby out with the proverbial bath water, Mom. If you are interested in seeing the play, please go. If you're not all that interested, well then there's your answer. But please, don't feel that you need to limit yourself to things that are developmentally appropriate for 10 year olds. :)

I went to see this years ago when Treat Williams performed it (saw him in Hair too by the way). It is a very well done piece of performance literature - reminds me a bit of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. But, having said that, I would not take my 10 year old to see it. It does have adult themes that I personally dont think my 10 yr old is ready to contemplate. As far as your 65 yr old mom- well, depends on your mom I suppose. Our local ballet company was considereing this one last year but decided against it due to the age of the girls in the jr company who would also be involved. By, the way, I dont think I would take my 10 yr old to Hair either! I saw both of these in college.

Of course I am more mature and can handle if a play has a rape in it as part of a storyline, and of course there are things I read/watch/see that aren't developmentally appropriate for my 10 yr. old.

But I've read the storyline of this play. The heroine seems to be a woman who is running around seducing and sleeping with men left and right. Not only is that not something I think I would be comfortable watching with my grandmother, but I certainly would not allow my daughter to view it either, even if she were a teen instead of the present age.

Which led me to think that perhaps the content of this play is such that I wouldn't be comfortable viewing it at all. I don't watch movies with lots of vile language and s*x, so why would I go to a play where s*x is flaunted in every scene?

The 'running around seducing' is not generally known; it comes out much later and with a bit of abiguity (not much)--more like, 'here is the kind of person she was when she lived in another town' rather than 'oh no, watch her go after another one.'

The play and movie reflect a marriage that transcends class lines in a way that doesnt' show either class in a good light. It includes a fair amount of domestic violence and one rape scene. It's considered one of the great works of modern American literature, but in my opinion that is a somewhat dated view. It is SO sexist, in a way that was accepted much more so when it was written than now. I don't think you will find it uplifting.