Menu

Rules and Standards in your homeschool

moved to general board. Sorry. :)

I'm noticing lately the my children's work is getting sloppier and that they are needing a little (or big) push. I'm also realizing that I need to reign in the old homeschool. I'm getting way to lax in what I am accepting and expecting from my kids.

What are the rules of your homeschool? To what standards do you hold your children? How do you enforce these? On a related note, what do you do to inspire your kids to achieve, explore, learn and work harder?

TIA!

Edited by MSNative
Posted to wrong board

I'm noticing lately the my children's work is getting sloppier and that they are needing a little (or big) push. I'm also realizing that I need to reign in the old homeschool. I'm getting way to lax in what I am accepting and expecting from my kids.

What are the rules of your homeschool? To what standards do you hold your children? How do you enforce these? On a related note, what do you do to inspire your kids to achieve, explore, learn and work harder?

TIA!

I think we can all use encouragement right now (I know I do). Something about the weather... either that, or I'm just so dog-gone tired with the baby, losing the Nanny, and trying to do so much more on my own.

In my household, it starts with me. If I can get my house in order, the children usually follow suit (and if they don't... they soon will).

Here is what works for me (as long as I follow it!)

1. Set up a schedule. Schedule plenty of time to get everything accomplished.

2. Set the rules and POST them. Ours are hanging in our school/family room.

3. Set the School Standards and POST Them... Things like: Did I follow all directions, Did I put a proper heading on my paper? Did I work Neatly? Did I answer all of the questions and complete all of the tasks? Did I use correct punctuation and capitalization? Did I spell all words correctly? Did I write in complete sentences? Did I do my best? If your child can answer each question "YES" the assignment is done. If they can't... they need to go back and fix whatever it is...

That's the basics... but if I don't start the morning out right (according to the schedule), I hear about it, and it's downhill from there.

As far as inspiring my children ... positive praise, and setting privileges to accomplishing tasks has been best. Again, as long as I am consistent.

Lisa

In my household, it starts with me. If I can get my house in order, the children usually follow suit (and if they don't... they soon will).

Here is what works for me (as long as I follow it!)

1. Set up a schedule. Schedule plenty of time to get everything accomplished.

2. Set the rules and POST them. Ours are hanging in our school/family room.

3. Set the School Standards and POST Them... Things like: Did I follow all directions, Did I put a proper heading on my paper? Did I work Neatly? Did I answer all of the questions and complete all of the tasks? Did I use correct punctuation and capitalization? Did I spell all words correctly? Did I write in complete sentences? Did I do my best? If your child can answer each question "YES" the assignment is done. If they can't... they need to go back and fix whatever it is...

That's the basics... but if I don't start the morning out right (according to the schedule), I hear about it, and it's downhill from there.

As far as inspiring my children ... positive praise, and setting privileges to accomplishing tasks has been best. Again, as long as I am consistent.

Lisa

Good post!! I need that. I bow my head in shame at some of what I've accepted lately.

Teresa

TIA!

I don't think my exact standards would help you...my kids are older and I'm no longer homeschooling. However, I can address your final question about how to inspire, etc.

I never considered it my job to "inspire" my children to work better or harder. My job was to make them do it, inspired or not. If that meant doing the work over several times, so be it. Generally, I told them my expectations and if they didn't meet them, the work was handed back and they redid it. It didn't take long before they knew what was expected and what the consequences would be if the work wasn't up to par.

My kids are now in the public school system; we have an excellent school district with very high standards. Now my kids come to me and ask for my input because they have come to appreciate that I really do know what I'm talking about, lol. Case in point: my know-everything 16-yr old ds recently had an interesting research paper assignment. He had to pick an author and write a paper in the first person (as if he was the author) and explain the development of his writing style in relation to his life story. Neat, eh? So ds wrote a great paper...but it was a bio, really, nothing more. I read it and said, "But where are the quotes and explanations? Where do you give examples to explain how his writing is changing as he moves through life?" Well, ds went back, added quotes and explanations, and seemed very pleased with the final result (which I haven't read yet). He just got it back...he got a 92. In this school, that's quite an accomplishment.

Find your standards and require them without fail. That's what is going to make a lasting impression. Trying to inspire or excite...well, those are not lasting feelings. Sometimes you just have to do your best because that's what is expected and required.

Ria

I had the pleasure of listen to Susan today at the Cincinnati convention and she had some great points to make on that topic. She said whatever your standards are make sure the kids have a detailed list of them. Example write your answers in complete sentences, so that I can read them and no more than 2 spelling errors. She was very much in favoring of bribing them :lol:. She also pointed out that when they don't follow through to your expectations that you CLEARLY stated then there needs to be a consequence (not punishment). Example you tell you son to read 10 pages in history and an hour later he has only read 3 you make him follow you around all day as you go about your schedule. If you kids are expected to set their alarm and get up on their own and don't you come in and tell them since it has cost me x amount of time to come in and wake you, make sure you are ready for the day you now have to clean the kitchen (which is what I would have been doing if I did not have to get after you). The talk was great!

ooooo....do you think that will be on tape to purchase?

My 9 year old keeps saying, "Do you have to be mean about it?" To which I end up answering, "Apparently I DO because when I ask nicely it doesn't get done!"

Yeah, I need some help! :ack2:

Dawn

I had the pleasure of listen to Susan today at the Cincinnati convention and she had some great points to make on that topic. She said whatever your standards are make sure the kids have a detailed list of them. Example write your answers in complete sentences, so that I can read them and no more than 2 spelling errors. She was very much in favoring of bribing them :lol:. She also pointed out that when they don't follow through to your expectations that you CLEARLY stated then there needs to be a consequence (not punishment). Example you tell you son to read 10 pages in history and an hour later he has only read 3 you make him follow you around all day as you go about your schedule. If you kids are expected to set their alarm and get up on their own and don't you come in and tell them since it has cost me x amount of time to come in and wake you, make sure you are ready for the day you now have to clean the kitchen (which is what I would have been doing if I did not have to get after you). The talk was great!

I wrote about this on my blog this week, LOL! (link in signature, its my weekly review). My 8yo complains about work, and as a result I begin writing more and more for her, cutting out more and more math problems...before you know it, she zooms thru her work & it's done in 1.5 hours. But its done sloppily (or in my handwriting). I like the idea of having a list of standards - I think I will work on that! I took a stand last week and it was miserable, but I think we're doing a bit better. It's just going to take time of me standing my ground and dealing with the tears. I'm a huge push-over, so standing my ground is rough for me, and I tend to weaken over time.

I took a stand last week and it was miserable, but I think we're doing a bit better. It's just going to take time of me standing my ground and dealing with the tears. I'm a huge push-over, so standing my ground is rough for me, and I tend to weaken over time.

This sounds like me. I can see my ds doing this in a few years. Sigh.

:bigear:

Guest janainaz

I don't have a clear-cut rule. I want my kids to do their best, but some days their best is just getting it done. There are other days that I'm amazed at what is produced and accomplished. If my son turns in sloppy work, I make him re-do it, but try not to make a national case out of it. Every day is not the same and some you just get it done and others you might feel like giving your all and 100%.

Before we begin the school year, the children and I sit down and go over the rules, which I tweak each summer to address whatever new ways they've found to irritate me during the previous school year ;). They then sign their copies of the rules, and we refer back to them periodically throughout the year as needed.

Anyway, this year's copy is as follows:

1. Do everything without complaining or arguing... (Philippians 2:14)

2. School begins at 8:15 a.m. You need to have eaten breakfast and completed all your chores by that time. Mom will be happy to wake you up at whatever time you deem necessary to accomplish these things.

3. If chores are not completed WELL by 8:15 a.m., you will forfeit that day's allowance and still be expected to complete your chores on your own time - either at lunch or after school.

4. Begin the school day with at least two pencils and notebook paper. Please do not waste school time searching for materials you know you need every day.

5. Completed workbooks and assignments should be put in Mom's in-box for grading, NOT left wherever you finished them.

6. Many of our materials are shared. You are welcome to read and work in the quiet of your room, but if you are using a book your sibling will also need, please return it to the school room when you're finished.

7. All school books/materials should be put away neatly when you have finished with them for the day.

8. All assignments should be completed neatly and to the best of your ability. Mom will not waste her time reviewing sloppy, careless work, so it will be returned, and you will be expected to re-do it on your own time. Rushing so that you will have more time to watch TV or play the Wii or whatever else you want to do (and yes, Mom can tell when you're doing this!) will result in those privileges being lost completely during the school week. Don't go there.

I have read the above rules, understand them, and agree to abide by them to the best of my ability. I also understand that homeschooling requires the effort and cooperation of the entire family. I agree to do my part to make sure that this year of homeschooling goes smoothly.

I've found that this works pretty well for us, and I do hold them to these rules. At the same time, I recognized long ago that the thing that truly makes my homeschool run smoothly is for ME to be prepared, to stay on schedule, and to demonstrate every single day that educating them is my first priority. In other words, the rules I have for myself are every bit as firm as the rules I have for my children.

Hope something here helps :).

SBP

With my younger kids I stay with them during school. I have noticed that if I "assign" work and go do my thing (be that dishes, laundry, phone or computer) they goof off. If I am there, available, cheering them on, answering questions, they are diligent.

Also, we do memory work (for the most part) as a group. The older kids know that they are training the younger kids in their attitudes, diligence, etc. So, if they get too goofy and no one can understand them, the younger kids fall off the diligence train.

We do morning chores first thing and get the house in order. If the house is clean and orderly, the kids and family tend to be more orderly. It is definilty easier to be clean and orderly when the weather is nice. When it's winter here, it's COLD and WINDY and we use the house more. So, spring is nice, when we can stretch out.

School items are stored on the bookshelf, desks, study.

I make a weekly check off list/ schedule with classes/ lessons on a master sheet and post it clearly.

We use a large white board in our school area with weekly memory work. I have also made posters with memory work that we use regularly.

In the fall I write up a list of goals, courses, curriculum used and this is what we hope to accomplish for the year. Many times we find something we love and go through it quicker than anticipated or find something that doesn't jazz us but we need to get through, which we do. We are also clear about the vision that we have for homeschooling (it's in the sidebar of my blog- adapted from Hazelnut). Writing a vision and making it plain, in my mind, is of utmost importance when undertaking any daunting task, such as homeschooling, which requires discipline on the part of the teacher :001_smile:. The vision is who we are- parents, educators, mentors. Then mission-what we do, we homeschool. Then goals, how we do it, small incremental steps: we teach logic and writing and math, etc.

Before we begin the school year, the children and I sit down and go over the rules, which I tweak each summer to address whatever new ways they've found to irritate me during the previous school year ;). They then sign their copies of the rules, and we refer back to them periodically throughout the year as needed.

Anyway, this year's copy is as follows:

1. Do everything without complaining or arguing... (Philippians 2:14)

2. School begins at 8:15 a.m. You need to have eaten breakfast and completed all your chores by that time. Mom will be happy to wake you up at whatever time you deem necessary to accomplish these things.

3. If chores are not completed WELL by 8:15 a.m., you will forfeit that day's allowance and still be expected to complete your chores on your own time - either at lunch or after school.

4. Begin the school day with at least two pencils and notebook paper. Please do not waste school time searching for materials you know you need every day.

5. Completed workbooks and assignments should be put in Mom's in-box for grading, NOT left wherever you finished them.

6. Many of our materials are shared. You are welcome to read and work in the quiet of your room, but if you are using a book your sibling will also need, please return it to the school room when you're finished.

7. All school books/materials should be put away neatly when you have finished with them for the day.

8. All assignments should be completed neatly and to the best of your ability. Mom will not waste her time reviewing sloppy, careless work, so it will be returned, and you will be expected to re-do it on your own time. Rushing so that you will have more time to watch TV or play the Wii or whatever else you want to do (and yes, Mom can tell when you're doing this!) will result in those privileges being lost completely during the school week. Don't go there.

I have read the above rules, understand them, and agree to abide by them to the best of my ability. I also understand that homeschooling requires the effort and cooperation of the entire family. I agree to do my part to make sure that this year of homeschooling goes smoothly.

I've found that this works pretty well for us, and I do hold them to these rules. At the same time, I recognized long ago that the thing that truly makes my homeschool run smoothly is for ME to be prepared, to stay on schedule, and to demonstrate every single day that educating them is my first priority. In other words, the rules I have for myself are every bit as firm as the rules I have for my children.

Hope something here helps :).

SBP

I love these. "Don't go there." We'd be friends in real life and our kids would commiserate with each other!! I am saving this link to edit your list for my kids next year!

They then sign their copies of the rules, and we refer back to them periodically throughout the year as needed.

My dd is in Girl Scouts, and recently (apparently due to some problems) they have started having both the girls and the parents sign "Conduct Contracts" in order to be able to participate in events. I think I may try implementing something like this, and like what you do, for our homeschool so that she knows in advance very clearly what is expected of her. DH says I need to crack down on her, and start getting more serious about school since she'll be turning 10 this fall. :) Thank you for posting your contract. Good fuel for thought there.