Menu

What Math for DD Precal or Trig?

Is there some reason you were not finishing Saxon Advanced Math? My understanding is that that book is a Trig/PreCalc book and you can label your transcript course as such when you have completed the book.

Now with the new Saxon Teacher CDs coming out, it should really help. I think they said the Advanced Math CDs were scheduled to come out in the fall.

after using Saxon Algebra I, II, and half of Adv Math. A fair number of the concepts have been review, but Chalkdust approaches PreCalc from much more of a visual perspective. A lot of emphasis is placed on graphing functions, and a graphing calculator is used extensively. This visual approach has really helped my son to a deeper understanding of the math. Chalkdust also includes many more real world application problems so students can see how the math is used. My son loves the instruction on the Chalkdust DVDs much better than the Saxon Dive CDs. Chalkdust is an expensive program, but it's worked well for us.

I would not recommend a strictly Trig program because Saxon does a decent job (IMHO) in Algebra 2 & Adv Math of covering the basics of Trig. PreCalc is typically a mixture of trig & advanced algebra.

Brenda

Dd has been doing Saxon Alg 2 this year concurrently with TT Geometry. She's doing Larson's Precalculus next year. I thought the CD program was VERY expensive ($515). I ordered everything I needed directly from the publisher, including the videos by Dana Mosely, for $175 less money. See my post below for a link and contact information of the publisher if you decide to go that route.

Take care,

Bev

My DD has completed Saxon Alg1&2, Adv. Math 1 (half the book), and soon TT Geometry.

How do you coordinate Saxon with TT Geometry? Would you recommend coordinating Saxon with any other TT? How do you reflect this on a transcript?

I'm sorry for so many questions; after reading recent "discussions", I've become totally confused about what to do with my oldest dc next year.:confused:

Thanks,

Sherri

ds-14yo-9th grade next year

dd-11yo-7th " " "

dd-10yo-5th " " "

ds- 6yo-1st " " "

dd- 3yo

The preface of the Adv. Math text says that the course can be completed in two to four semesters.

DD just hated Saxon Advanced Math ( which she did in 10th grade--2 semesters). I managed to convince her to complete half the book and she received 1 credit as Advanced Math 1. She had to do geometry this year (11th grade) because she didn't finish Adv. Math so was not exposed to all the geometry topics. It was good review for her.

My DS who will finish the entire book will receive 2 credits: Advance Math1 & 2. By the time he's done he would have used the book for 4 semesters.

As an interesting note, my DC took the PSAT last Oct. and both of them did poorly on the geometry questions. At that time, they had both just completed half of Saxon Adv. Math. Now that my daughter has gone through most of TT Geometry, she has improved quite a bit on the geometry questions of the practice tests of the SATs. This perhaps shows a weakness in the Saxon method of integrating Geometry with Algebra. I have heard that Saxon is coming out with separate Alg 1 & 2 and Geometry books. With my other DC I plan to have them take Geometry separately.

I like Chalkdust alot ( we're using the SAT prep now)...but the cost! I suppose if I look at it as an investment for my other children, it'll be well worth the price.

Thank you for your responses.

My DD has completed Saxon Alg1&2, Adv. Math 1 (half the book), and soon TT Geometry.

How do you coordinate Saxon with TT Geometry? Would you recommend coordinating Saxon with any other TT? How do you reflect this on a transcript?

I'm sorry for so many questions; after reading recent "discussions", I've become totally confused about what to do with my oldest dc next year.:confused:

Thanks,

Sherri

ds-14yo-9th grade next year

dd-11yo-7th " " "

dd-10yo-5th " " "

ds- 6yo-1st " " "

dd- 3yo

I treat them as two subjects, not one. The transcript will show Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Geometry, Precalculus, etc. I was actually more worried about how I would reflect a full geometry course on dd's transcript just using Saxon. How would I grade it since it's incorporated into the Saxon materials? My conscience is clear now. My dd will have grades for each of the courses. (There are many who argue that college admissions officers are aware of Saxon's differences, I just didn't want to make the process any more difficult than it needed to be.)

Take care,

Bev