Menu

Using ACT/SAT as achievement tests

plansrme

Under the earlier thread about whether to keep SAT scores, MaryM mentioned using these as achievement tests starting at age 10. Can someone any of you who have done this tell me more about your experience? I'm wondering what to do about my own 10 yo. This is our first year homeschooling, and while she's in 4th by age, she is in everything from 5th-9th in her materials. I don't know that the standard 4th grade achievement tests would be particularly helpful and am interested in other options. I suppose I could just use the usual tests but test her as a 6th or 7th grader, but I'm not a huge fan of the these tests generally and would love to have an alternative that's not so tied to a specific grade.

Thanks for any insight,

Terri

Under the earlier thread about whether to keep SAT scores, MaryM mentioned using these as achievement tests starting at age 10. Can someone any of you who have done this tell me more about your experience? I'm wondering what to do about my own 10 yo.

DS (8) takes the Explore, which is an 8th grade version of the ACT, for his annual (state-required) achievement test every year, and did so starting last year.... We signed up through Northwestern's CTD program because they weren't too picky about how old he was (LOL) or that we were out of their region... We're actually closer to Duke but the TIP program there seems much pickier about ages -- I think he can sign up for that next year.

What I like about the Explore is that since it's use in talent search programs there are lots of options for norms. The reports we get have the regular 8th grade norms (it is an 8th grade test) but also percentiles for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders who take it through Northwestern. So I get a lot more information than I would with virtually any other test. As soon as he starts maxing out any one section of the Explore we'll be switching to the ACT for similar reasons. Talent search norms are reported for (I think) 7th and 8th grades, so there's that extra bit of information too.

One thing to note... The ACT is an achievement test, but the SAT is billed as a "reasoning" test. For personal use it's not necessarily a tremendously important distinction, but for our state requirements we're only allowed achievement tests, so we're going to be an ACT family here. ;)

Has she taken a test at her grade level and had high percentile marks? We originally went up a level with dd because she was at 99th percentile, making the test pretty useless for us for seeing areas of strength and weakness. If so, then you would want to test her up a grade level. You could do a talent search next year, too, based on her high scores, which would allow her to take the EXPLORE, as Erica explained. We are in our second year of EXPLORE and it was very helpful last year for my then-5th grader. If they do well on EXPLORE, then you move up to the SAT and ACT in 6th grade or later.

As another has said, you would want to first have a score in the high 90's percentile (or close) for her grade/age. If she has never tested before, do that first. If you have these scores then you have several options as posters have mentioned. Our talent search had ds go right into the SAT at 10 based upon Stanford Achievement Test scores. You can't go wrong with any of these suggestions and/or getting the talent search to guide you. When we were doing this, my own personal objective was to see what test best measured ability and achievement. We stuck with the ACT because I could get a science score too! Good luck and don't fret over this testing stuff, seriously!

Mary

DS (8) takes the Explore, which is an 8th grade version of the ACT, for his annual (state-required) achievement test every year, and did so starting last year.... We signed up through Northwestern's CTD program because they weren't too picky about how old he was (LOL) or that we were out of their region... We're actually closer to Duke but the TIP program there seems much pickier about ages -- I think he can sign up for that next year.

How did you find your place to take it? If I did a google or if you have a website for Explore, would I find a place that way?

Yes, she's taken standardized tests in school, which is how I know how useless those scores are for her. She's also tested into EPGY and Johns Hopkins' gifted programs, but using their tests for 1st or 2nd grades, respectively, which she was in at the time.

And I'm not fretting--just looking for options. I want to monitor how she's progressing in relation to her ability.

Thanks for the responses.

Terri

How did you find your place to take it? If I did a google or if you have a website for Explore, would I find a place that way?

The talent searches are generally regional (although as I said, Northwestern seems to be not so picky about the region... LOL), so there might be one in your area. You could start by googling Northwestern (Center for Talent Development or Midwest Area Talent Search, I think), or Duke TIP, Belin-Blank, C-MITES, or the other one I know about that uses the Explore is the Rocky Mountain Talent Search... If none of those work in your area they might have links to others.

It is seasonal by the way... the talent searches all do January and February testing, but there may also be local private schools that use the Explore for placement. You could call one maybe and ask...

I knew about Northwestern because I was in their program when I was a kid, and I knew about Duke TIP because I have friends who have taught in their summer programs... basically I just clicked around their sites until I figured out what we could do! :o

Hope this helps!!