Menu

My kids hate spelling. Help!

MSNative

I am looking for some help. I have searched the forums and couldn't find a thread that dealth with this, but I'm sure there is one out there. If you know of one, I'd love the link.

My kids have been using A Beka spelling for 3 years. They fight me every single time I pull out the book. So, here are my questions:

1. For those of you who have switched spelling midway thru - what advice can you give me? What problems did you run into?

2. Do any of your kids love spelling (or at least not cringe and cry when it comes out)? If so, what do you use and why do you like it?

TIA! Jackie

How old are your kids? I write each child's spelling list as I grade their papers. Whatever they can't spell, that's what ends up on their list for the following week. I combine spelling and handwriting, by having the kids do their spelling exercises in a handwriting ruled (triple line) composition book. I can't claim anyone loves Spelling, but they don't hate it either. They know I'm making effective use of their time.

The boys are 3rd/4th grade.

Ahhh, talk to the kids. Sadly, this is fantastic advice that I ought to have done. Yikes. Same with the idea of combining spelling and handwriting. Two of my kids least fav. subjects. Y'all are smart. :)

As far as what they like - they love anything that involves reading - history, literature, geography, etc. Spelling just seems so dry to them. It also seems random. I guess I'm looking for spelling that is either connected to their reading or history or something that is very organized so at least they feel like they are learning something, not just memorizing random words.

My kids used to hate spelling, but don't now. We use All About Spelling. I like:

It's multi-sensory

It gives the rules (but only ones that really work)

The review is customizeable (we spend time on what we need to & not on what we don't)

It's based on Orton-Gillingham Phonograms

It's open & go--easy to use.

It's incremental and well-organized.

It includes dictation.

After all the other programs we've tried, my kids are finally making good progress!

My kids are glad to do it because they see they are making progress & are encouraged by that.

I blogged more about it here.

Hope you find what will work for your kids, I know it's no fun doing a program they don't enjoy. Merry :-)

We are going to use Hannah's Word Attack program. I will probably use the dictation sentences for spelling and handwriting practice and not focus so much on the lists. I learned to spell the traditional way and it wasn't very successful, spell checker is a good friend of mine. All that to say that I have been looking into studied dictation like what Charlotte Mason reccomends. I posted about it this morning on my blog (link below) if you are curious.

My ds8 HATES doing his Spelling. I've been using WRTR and he is able to almost spell in isolation but almost never in context. He also is very slow going through the list because every word (it seems) takes such practice for him. I guess I don't have any advice really but that you aren't the only one dealing this the issue. I'm in the same boat looking for the perfect spelling curriculum for my very un-natural speller.