Menu

Is this a crazy thought: to combine MFW with BJU DVD's?

Kisa in CA

We just love MFW and will be up to Rome to the Reformation next year. I don't want to give up on it because we all love it and it's our time 'together'. BUT, I am maxed out and really wanting help with teaching math and LA. Does it sound crazy to use MFW for history, Bible and science and use BJU for everything else? I know it's not the cheapest route, but it's till far cheaper than private school and we can afford it, though it won't be easy.

P.S. Just another idea.... Not sure how long your current math and LA are taking, but the suggestions given by MFW are given, in part, to help busy families with the time issue. (Not to mention cost!) It's something to consider... although I know some people just prefer a more traditional method.

I say go for it and enjoy the best of both worlds. If God has blessed you where you can afford it do what is best for you and your children.

I would also love to have someone else teach Math and LA leaving me more bonding time with the subjects I love (Bible, History and Science). I wish BJU let you purchase individual courses in the elementary grades.

Just a thought, why not pair up with someone who would like to use BJU Science, Bible and History and split the cost. I know this is easier said than done, but maybe God will put someone in your way if you ask...should you be cutting it close with cost.

We just love MFW and will be up to Rome to the Reformation next year. I don't want to give up on it because we all love it and it's our time 'together'. BUT, I am maxed out and really wanting help with teaching math and LA. Does it sound crazy to use MFW for history, Bible and science and use BJU for everything else? I know it's not the cheapest route, but it's till far cheaper than private school and we can afford it, though it won't be easy.

I think it's a great idea!

I would probably use the BJU Science, even if you're also using something else. My ds thinks BJU science is fun. He also likes Heritage Studies, although you won't need that if you're using MFW -- unless the periods in history happen to line up.

I like BJU English a lot, but I think the Reading courses tend to be a bit on the easy side. Ditto for Spelling, so you may want to visit a motel meeting before making a purchase, as you will be able to see additional DVD samples and look through the books. Since you're able to move up or down in grade levels for up to two courses per child, it's worth trying to see everything in person. Also, I have found that my ds "clicked" with certain teachers more than others, so the sample DVD classes are well worth watching.

Cat

PS. We're thinking of doing something very similar next year. We've been using the BJU DVDs for a few years, but are getting a little burned out on them, so I'm going to combine Oak Meadow or Tapestry of Grace (bought both -- can't decide which to use!) with a few of the BJU courses on DVD. Like you, I think it's worth the money even if we only use a few of the classes. Also, I have to admit that I'd like to have the BJU DVDs on hand in case my other choices turn out to be complete failures for us!

Edited by Catwoman
added something!

I think it's a great idea!

I would probably use the BJU Science, even if you're also using something else. My ds thinks BJU science is fun.

Cat

:iagree::iagree: No offense to the books that MFW uses, but you just can't beat BJU's Science classes on DVD! In fact, if I could use only one BJU DVD class each year, it would most definitely be science. Hands down.

As for whether it's crazy or not. Since I use TOG and BJU video classes, I would say a big NOPE! Not crazy at all. :D It's OK to want help in teaching some courses...you really don't have to do it all...and it's not like BJU is substandard. Their curriculum is top notch stuff. If you have the money, it's a win-win! ;)