Menu

8th grade latin

HollyDay

Where to place in latin? We are finishing up LNST shortly. It was great - just what we needed this year. But, moving into 8th grade I was hoping to get something more. Not sure I can explain it beyond that. But, I think we are ready for a "real" program. Perhaps by that I mean a program geared more toward an older student. Not so "elementaryish".

I did not like LFC when we tried it a couple years ago. And I will not use a beta program or a program I have to print the lessons out.

What to use??

Have you looked at Galore Park? They have So You Really Want to Learn Latin or Latin Prep. You could do either one for eighth grade, but SYRWLL does move pretty fast.

The Latin for Children people have Latin Alive for Jr. High age, but they only have the first book out, and if you didn't like LFC, that might not be for you.

I think I'm going to go with Latin Alive, but I'm wavering between it and Latin Prep for my rising 7th grade ds.

Those are the two I'm most familiar with. I'm sure you'll get other ideas as well.

with my 8th grade dd and it has gone slow but steady. I admit we have laxed on it now and then so we are only in chapter 3 but her and ds 6th grade are both doing it. He is still in chapter 2 is all.

It was tough in chapter 2 for awhile but dd says it is her favorite subject. I am glad we pressed on as I was beginning to think we were dropping out.

Kathy

I love this program. It really presents things in a logical sequence and makes it all much more understandable than anything else I've tried. I feel like we're finally really learning Latin after fumbling around with a bunch of other programs.

It's a British program. Horriblebooks.com is the best place I know of to order in the US.

One thing to know, though, is that in British Latin books, the declensions are taught in a different order. For example, instead of Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Ablative, it will be Nominative, Vocative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative. So, in essence, all the noun charts will look different.

Most people solve this by putting putting Post-its with the American order written in, but some people just go with it as is. Probably not a deal breaker, but something that's nice to know ahead of time.

I generally order Latin Prep from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk ... The prices are comparable to the ones at Horrible Books and they ship free worldwide. Just be aware that they send each item (when you make an order) in an individual envelope, so sometimes they can be a day or more apart arriving. I've ordered a number of things from them in the last two years and have always been very happy.

I'm finishing up teaching LP2 now. I think it's a fantastic program for middle schoolers -- it's clear, concise, witty, includes explicit grammar instruction and tons of translation practice (in individual sentences working on specific skills and longer passages based on Roman history and mythology). As Staci said, it's good to be aware that the order of cases is different than it would be in American texts. This is just an organization issue, not a Latin issue, but if a student might continue in an American classroom or with another text after this one, it's good to learn the American order...