Menu

If you attend political rallies, how long do you stay?

The kiddos and I attended an event today but only stayed for a bit over an hour. I felt a bit guilty for keeping it short. The event was scheduled for 5 hours. Do some folks stay the whole time? There were so many people, but many seemed to be coming and going.

Just wondering.

We attended a rally today. It was scheduled for 2 hours, but we left 80 minutes into it. First, my dd needed to use the facilities; secondly, I didn't want to deal with the huge crowd. We hardly ever stay the entire time. It will come with age I suppose.

Yep. Those huge crowds can be inconvenient. :001_smile:

The kiddos and I attended an event today but only stayed for a bit over an hour. I felt a bit guilty for keeping it short. The event was scheduled for 5 hours. Do some folks stay the whole time? There were so many people, but many seemed to be coming and going.

Just wondering.

We went and stayed for the whole three hours. It was a little easier for me, though, because my husband took one for the team and stayed home so I didn't have to drag the boys out in the rain.:001_smile:

It was awesome!

Just wondering.

The event I went to recently was scheduled for 2 hours. I stayed one but the lady next to me had been there for 3 hours already. It turned out to be an all day event...but not for me. I felt guilty for leaving early too but I was afraid I didn't park in the right spot and might get ticketed or towed.

We went and stayed for the whole three hours. It was a little easier for me, though, because my husband took one for the team and stayed home so I didn't have to drag the boys out in the rain.:001_smile:

It was awesome!

Did it rain the whole time? Hope you had good rain gear!!

Just wondering.

Try to stay long enough to get your point across, and drink plenty of tea to keep you warm. That's tea people not TEA or whatever the code word is. ;)

I didn't go to one, but drove by it, then read about it in the local paper. There was a very small turnout and it lasted about 90 minutes. I did get a kick out of the homemade signs proclaiming themselves "teabaggers!" Just driving slowly by, tho, I managed to see three signs with misspelled words.

Dot, this isn't a political thread. Your response doesn't even relate to my question.

I didn't go to one, but drove by it, then read about it in the local paper. There was a very small turnout and it lasted about 90 minutes. I did get a kick out of the homemade signs proclaiming themselves "teabaggers!" Just driving slowly by, tho, I managed to see three signs with misspelled words.

There were also people that were against the protest, protesting the original protesters. My guess would be they were the ones with the teabaggers sign. As for the others......who knows which protesters they were from.

Do some folks stay the whole time? There were so many people, but many seemed to be coming and going.

Just wondering.

I didn't attend today's festivities, (I'm not of that mind, plus, I don't even know where one was held in my state) but I have been to a lot of political rallies in the past, and honestly, it really varies. Some people camp out there for a day or two ahead of time! Others just come for the speeches, and still others come at the tail end, and then stick around to clean up afterward! (Bless them!)

Kudos to you all who attended the tea bag rallies today for participating in government!

Astrid

There were also people that were against the protest, protesting the original protesters. My guess would be they were the ones with the teabaggers sign. As for the others......who knows which protesters they were from.

:iagree:

The only people I've heard/seen use that term are counter-protesters and people who are mocking the protests. Everyone else calls them "Tea Parties."

I'm somewhat impressed, though, with a local paper that reported on it and had it in print for you to read the same day. I didn't know there were evening papers anymore.

Edited by Hillary in KS

Back to the OP, we stayed the whole time (2 hrs) in a light but cold drizzle of rain. But dd had fun playing with the other hs children she knew there and I enjoyed people watching (we live on a dead-end road, I don't normally get to see much). I am slightly uncomfortable with just standing around and not being productive, so if we go to another one, I think I'll take my spinning wheel and a sign about the original definition of the word "spin" having nothing to do with political deception. Then I can zip up a few skeins of yarn, make my statement, watch all the people I want, and feel good about doing it!

BTW, I had considered a few good zingers for my sign, but decided on a quote by Thomas Jefferson instead. I thought that as a homeschooling mom, I needed to present myself as more thoughful and well-read (and I DID check my spelling carefully):)

Edited by hillfarm

Then your guess was wrong. They were definitely there to protest the taxes/stimulus. I also wasn't making any political statement. I was interested in hearing the speaker, but could not stop. I mentioned the signs because I was a bit sad to see so many misspelled words, especially on such big banners. As for the teabagger moniker, that just strikes me as funny. YMMV

nah-- I'd only buy that if you knew the "protestors" personally.

Did you happen to see a sign that wanted to fight privacy too? :D

sad gaffes all over ;)