Menu

Has anyone with sensory issues learned to tolerate jewelry?

Gah. I'm wearing a necklace my sister just sent me and I feel like I am being choked. It's not tight and it's not big or heavy. It's just sitting there around my neck, but it feels like it has a choke-hold on me.

Every necklace feels this way. I can tolerate bracelets sometimes. My wedding ring doesn't bother me. 99% of the time, my wedding ring is the only piece of jewelry I wear; I don't even wear a watch.

Earrings? Forget about it. I've tried every metal there is; they all make my ears buzz and tingle, turn red and then get sore and ache. I've given up on earrings except for very special occasions for very short periods of time ( a couple of hours, tops).

Most times I'm okay with it. I'm a plain woman and I don't need a lot of jewelry, but I'd like to be ABLE to wear a necklace, you know?

Does anyone else deal with this?

BTW - I can't put my hair up because I get horrendous headaches from the pull on my scalp, I can't wear anything tight around my waist....the list goes on. Blech. I only just recently figured out that "sensory issues" was the correct label for this, and that I am like the kid who wears shorts all through the winter....:tongue_smilie:

Gah. I'm wearing a necklace my sister just sent me and I feel like I am being choked. It's not tight and it's not big or heavy. It's just sitting there around my neck, but it feels like it has a choke-hold on me.

Every necklace feels this way. I can tolerate bracelets sometimes. My wedding ring doesn't bother me. 99% of the time, my wedding ring is the only piece of jewelry I wear; I don't even wear a watch.

Earrings? Forget about it. I've tried every metal there is; they all make my ears buzz and tingle, turn red and then get sore and ache. I've given up on earrings except for very special occasions for very short periods of time ( a couple of hours, tops).

Most times I'm okay with it. I'm a plain woman and I don't need a lot of jewelry, but I'd like to be ABLE to wear a necklace, you know?

BTW - I can't put my hair up because I get horrendous headaches from the pull on my scalp, I can't wear anything tight around my waist....the list goes on. Blech. I only just recently figured out that "sensory issues" was the correct label for this, and that I am like the kid who wears shorts all through the winter....:tongue_smilie:

I can't wear earrings, because I am allergic to them. I can't wear a watch, because I have too much "static electricity" in me. I know it sounds strange. However, every time I buy a watch, it stops working. :banghead: I think it is from the way I shuffle my feet.

Check this article out..

Human static electricity generators: Can a person’s body generate static electricity?

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/02/24/human-static-electricity-generators-can-a-persons-body-generate-static-electricity/

I thought I was the only one!! I have sensory issues and do not, cannot wear jewelry of any sort. I have a bunch of holes in my ear lobes from jr. high school piercing fests for no reason!;)

I do wear a thin, plain gold wedding band. For many years I did not even wear that (dh is understanding) because I gained some weight since getting married and I couldn't stand the small pressure on my finger. I lost weight and put the ring back on, but I like the feel of a bare finger better.

I cannot stand the weight, pressure or rub of bracelets, earrings, necklaces. Even if my dh were romantic (he's not, thank goodness) he knows better than to buy me bling. He gets me crossword books instead

:D

I go through stages with my hair. Sometimes I can stand a ponytail, sometimes not. There have been years when I've had to keep my hair super short bec. it bugs me so much.

That's hilarious! I never realized that this would fit me until I read your post. As a child, I hated tight waistbands, turtlenecks, elastic, etc. Anything that exerted too much pressure. And definitely no jewelry!!

As an adult, most elastic doesn't bother me. Loose turtlenecks are ok. Hair things are ok. But still no jewelry! In fact, at home, I don't even wear my wedding/engagement ring set. Though to be fair, it's more of a fear of knocking out the stone in my engagement ring or scratching one of the kids with it. Thank you for clearing this up for me!!!!!

Even if my dh were romantic (he's not, thank goodness) he knows better than to buy me bling. He gets me crossword books instead

:D

Same here!! Books, movies, and cds, unless there is an appliance that I need and really want. Hubby is romantic, but he sticks to flowers, presents for no reason and doing special things for me. He's happy that I "don't have expensive taste!" :lol:

I never made the connection, either! I've thought for a while that I have some mild sensory issues, but I never realized jewelry was a part of it. I'll wear my rings if we're going out, but they are usually on my night stand. Don't like to wear any other kind of jewelry, though.

There's one kind of clip that I can tie my hair up with. It's the only style that doesn't give me a headache. And it has to be plastic, not metal because metal is too heavy. Oh, and caps? Can't stand them. Bad hair days around here are a nightmare!:lol:

And I believe that at least one of our dds is just like me in this area.

Hmmm, as soon as I walk in the door my rings, watch, and bra come off. I cannot wear necklaces or turtle necks, and my watch is super loose. I do wear earrings and they are gold hoops that don't snag. I wear them day in and day out. I don't have an answer for you. I despise fragrances of all kinds, too.

Guest Katia

I just say I have a metal allergy...and I do....sorta. But I can't stand to wear jewelry of any kind. Or my hair up or in barrettes. Never thought of it as being a sensory issue....interesting! My ds has sensory issues and I thought it was just him. Poor kid; guess he inherited it from me.

I have never thought of myself as having sensory issues; I have always just thought of myself without a preference for jewelry. I occasionally wear it because it means so much to the giver and then I am glad to get it off of me later. I don't put a lot of thought into it though.

I actually have three lovely rings I never wear - all of which have great sentimental value. When I do wear them, I wear them all at once (my wedding ring, an emerald anniversary ring from my Mom, a diamond that had been my great great aunt's favorite).

Every once in a while I muster up the nerve to wear them, but they bother me the whole time. It also bothers me that they sit in a jewelry box. Just owning them stresses me out!

I never we earrings or necklaces, and for me, watches or bracelets actually are the worst.

I typically wear absolutely nothing in the jewelry department unless DH and I are going out and he specifically asks me to wear my ring. I adore the man. I'm so totally married, I think I exude "married" so he doesn't really mind.

Instead of acclimating to jewelry can you just tell everyone you are a violinist? Most of the violinists we know don't wear jewelry (maybe they all have sensory issues?) Probably your sister would know that you aren't a violinist though...

My dd tells everyone she doesn't wear jewelry because it interferes with her violin playing. She does play for several hours a day, but the rest of the time she just.can't.stand.jewelry! I call her princess pea because she will not wear anything binding; comfort is of the utmost importance.

She probably inherited it from me...I hated jewelry and constricting clothing. I still don't wear tutlenecks or belts, but I learned to wear my wedding rings and one necklace. My dh gave me small aviater wings on a chain when he earned his wings (this was before we were actually engaged). I call this necklace the "will you wait for me while I decide if I want to be stuck with you for the rest of my life necklace?" and I initially wore the necklace as a sign that I would wait, but eventually became accustomed to it and wear it now because I feel odd without it. But I tell my dh that I still wear it because after 20 years of marriage I feel like I am still waiting for him... to come home from where ever he has been assigned to work.

Edited to answer your question: Yes, I did learn to wear a necklace, but I don't think I would have learned had the necklace come from anybody else or under different circumstances.

Edited by Kanga
after many odd tangents I decided to actually answer the question

Wow! I never even thought to name what I had until reading this thread.

I have tried three different times to pierce my ears, but they always get infected and I have to give up - no matter how much I take care of them, or what kind of hypo-allergenic earrings I use.

I can't stand wearing necklaces, unless it's a thin and long gold chain that doesn't pull or tug at all on my neck.

I always have to have the hair stylist loosen the cape by several notches, because I can't stand having something around my neck.

I have to leave the room if I'm around someone smoking or wearing floral perfume.

I can't wear anything in my hair at all - it gives me headaches. (My hairstyle of choice is the "tuck behind the ear!") :D

I bought higher-count sheets because I can't stand scratchy sheets or pillowcases.

I'm guessing all this counts as having sensory issues, huh? :001_huh:

I suppose I could have sensory issues. I have enough other issues. :D

I don't mind my wedding rings, and when I think to put in earrings, they don't bother me. Necklaces are OK too, except when I have toddlers. Heh.

I cannot, however, stand things on my wrists for long. I love to wear a watch and see what time it is, but as soon as I'm home, wherever I sit down first, I take them off and set them down. I've now lost 2 watches because I think Schmooey has inadvertently thrown them away. :glare:

So, have your dh take a picture of you wearing your necklace and smiling, and then take it off. Wear it once in front of your sister if you have opportunity to do so. Otherwise, don't give it a second thought.

I only wear wedding ring and hypoallergenic earrings. The earrings can only be studs. Dangling earrings bother me a lot as do ones that cover the entire ear lobe. I don't wear a watch since most bands give me a bad rash and I don't relate to wearing them anyway.

I want to wear necklaces but every time I try they give me awful headaches and the crawly feeling on each side of my neck and the back of my neck bugs me. Within an hour of putting on a necklace (light or heavy doesn't matter) my neck feels twitchy and I have to get the thing off. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

Wow!

Look at how many of us there are! I always thought I was completely alone in this!

Okay, I have to ask, although feel free to PM rather than answer here:

Have any of you had difficulties with...ahem....menstrual products? If so, what was your solution? Let's just say its been a source of suffering in my life.

Wow!

Look at how many of us there are! I always thought I was completely alone in this!

Have any of you had difficulties with...ahem....menstrual products? If so, what was your solution? Let's just say its been a source of suffering in my life.

Oh my word, yes. Is anyone here sensitive to loud noises? I'm really stunned at all this. I just thought I didn't like stuff but it looks like there is a reason.

Yep. Even grown ups have sensory issues! Nobody was diagnosing them when we were young. We just learned to adjust to them. We have very lucky husbands because we aren't asking for jewelry every holdiday! :D

I wear a watch, earrings ONLY when I go to work or an outing and rarely a necklace. My jewelry is ALWAYS nickle free. That seems to help me a lot.

My necklaces are always thin or made of a smooth surface and my earrings don't touch my ears. My watches are thin and small. The only ring I wear is my wedding ring.

I have most luck with nickle free jewelry at Kohl's or Target. You can also get slides to put on your current earrings at both places as well.

Like a lot of you, I go jewelry free as much as possible.

Oh my word, yes. Is anyone here sensitive to loud noises?

YES!!! They drive me crazy! I have a Father-in-law who I think is losing his hearing . . . he has a surround sound system and I cannot STAND being around him when he watches movies, because it's so loud. It literally drives me out of the room, if not the house.

The kids have learned to take their loud noises and toys outside, and my husband has to keep his music and movies at a reasonable volume.

I am such a joy to live with, now that I think about it. :001_huh:

I want to wear necklaces but every time I try they give me awful headaches and the crawly feeling on each side of my neck and the back of my neck bugs me. Within an hour of putting on a necklace (light or heavy doesn't matter) my neck feels twitchy and I have to get the thing off. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

That's a really good description! I hate that crawly feeling!!!

Wow!

Ummmmm......yes! :tongue_smilie: It took until after my daughter was born to even be able to wear tampons. I can only use certain brands.

TP is the same. I branched out once and was very sorry!!

Does anyone have a problem around jewelry counters? I can hear the high pitched whine of their security systems and it drives. me. BATTY!!!! Service Merchandise used to have their jewelry counter in the front, center of the store and I couldn't take it!! We stopped shopping there because of it.

What about the electronic sound of tv's? I can usually hear if a TV is on whether the sound is on or not. That's annoying too.

And yes to loud noises as well. Looks like I know where my daughter's issues come from! :lol:

What about the electronic sound of tv's? I can usually hear if a TV is on whether the sound is on or not. That's annoying too.

Me too!

I used to wear all sorts of earrings and then stopped after they always were itchy. I tried nickel-free earrings and they seemed to work, and I am now able to wear 21/22k gold. I don't tend to wear rings, but I never gave a lot of thought to why. Hmm. I think of it because I am always washing things, but who knows. The rest doesn't bother me too much.

But I do have an issue with having my hair styled in a direction that's not natural to my growth, and no one else ever seemed to have this. For example when I take a ponytail down, my head sort of .... aches sometimes, and the only way to get rid of it is to wash my hair. I don't know what that is and I'm not claiming to have sensory issues but I was sort of excited to see others with the same thing.

Does anyone have a problem around jewelry counters? I can hear the high pitched whine of their security systems and it drives. me. BATTY!!!! Service Merchandise used to have their jewelry counter in the front, center of the store and I couldn't take it!! We stopped shopping there because of it.

Yes! I totally can hear it! It is annoying.

Ack! I could quote every one of you!

Yes, electronic hums can drive me nuts, too. I hate loud noises.

Can I tell you how much I HATE balloons??????

I was at a party the other day in someone's basement after I'd been thinking about "sensory" issues and I just let myself feel what it was like to be there. I stood still and listened and honestly felt like the sound was crashing against me in waves. I wanted to leave so badly.

I have begun to realize that I steel my body against all these unpleasant sensations all the time. Whenever I get a massage, when the person puts their hands on my shoulders without fail they say, "Oh, my God, woman - what's wrong? Why are you so tense?"

Anyway, this has been very enlightening.

So, does anyone find themselves favoring one type of clothing over another?

I've been asking for years on here how to get away with wearing skirts in the winter time...and just realized recently WHY I hate pants so much. What do the rest of you wear?

What do the rest of you wear?

Super-duper comfy jeans (the thin kind from Avenue that are stretchy, not stiff), and t-shirts (v-neck, no tag). That's what I wear every single day unless I have to dress up for something or go to church, in which case it's the comfiest dress I can find! :D

What do the rest of you wear?

Anything that is not tight on my waist and doesn't button to the top.;)

Back when I was in the choir at church I always had to pull my stole down from my neck. Couldn't stand it. Oh and b/c my hair is so long right now, I think there are bugs crawling on me a lot. That also happens when I wear necklaces.

So, does anyone find themselves favoring one type of clothing over another?

I've been asking for years on here how to get away with wearing skirts in the winter time...and just realized recently WHY I hate pants so much. What do the rest of you wear?

Yes, but the opposite. I can't stand wearing dresses. I hate feeling the fabric flapping against/around my legs. Give me my jeans anyday!

I used to try to wear button-downs, but I had to flip the collars down. Not so preppy.

Anyone have a problem with whistling? There was a man at a store who whistled the entire time I was in there. I was nearly insane by the time I checked out. Had it not been an important shopping trip, I would have walked out earlier rather than listen to a whistler.

And lip smacking? Ice crunching? OMW....an early grave for me if anyone in my family starts either of these.

Wow! I never even thought to name what I had until reading this thread.

I have tried three different times to pierce my ears, but they always get infected and I have to give up - no matter how much I take care of them, or what kind of hypo-allergenic earrings I use.

I can't stand wearing necklaces, unless it's a thin and long gold chain that doesn't pull or tug at all on my neck.

I always have to have the hair stylist loosen the cape by several notches, because I can't stand having something around my neck.

I have to leave the room if I'm around someone smoking or wearing floral perfume.

I can't wear anything in my hair at all - it gives me headaches. (My hairstyle of choice is the "tuck behind the ear!") :D

I bought higher-count sheets because I can't stand scratchy sheets or pillowcases.

I'm guessing all this counts as having sensory issues, huh? :001_huh:

Everything except the infections.

Oh my word, yes. Is anyone here sensitive to loud noises? I'm really stunned at all this. I just thought I didn't like stuff but it looks like there is a reason.

This is a very common SID (or SPD per the new name) problem. My ds, prior to therapy, made noise all the time to avoid sudden loud noises being too startling and upsetting.

In a recent post a lot of people posted about having sensory issues. I'm not sure how many are aware that sensory problems tend to run in families. Or if they aware that therapy can resolve many, if not all, of the problems if caught in time.

Though it may seem that not being able to wear jewlery to some is a minor problem, sensory problems can be very severe and can majorly affect an individual's life. An individual may be clumsy, or inadvertently hurt people because their sense of balance is off or they don't know where their body is in space. They may struggle with language (inner ear is affected) or reading (eye muscles don't work smoothly together). These things can affect the individual emotionally and socially.

So please, if you or your dh have sensory issues please watch your dc for them. Therapy before the age of 6 can generally totally resolve the problems. Before puberty, therapy can resolve the worse of the problems. Some early warning signs include being slow to sit, walk or talk. Clumsiness, falling out of chairs, not sitting up straight or propping the head up while sitting are also indicators. Struggling to do age appropriate drawing or coloring can be another sign. And of course, objecting to certain textures or clothes, scratching a spot that was lightly touched or objecting to loud noises are the obvious ones.

I used to try to wear button-downs, but I had to flip the collars down. Not so preppy.

Anyone have a problem with whistling? There was a man at a store who whistled the entire time I was in there. I was nearly insane by the time I checked out. Had it not been an important shopping trip, I would have walked out earlier rather than listen to a whistler.

And lip smacking? Ice crunching? OMW....an early grave for me if anyone in my family starts either of these.

Oh LOL! My dh thinks I'm nuts because lip smacking drives me insane! Sometimes he does it just to see me start twitching. Another thing that gets to me is when people click their teeth on the spoon or fork and sniffing. I think I passed the sniffing thing onto my daughter because she is the same way. I am glad I'm not the only one. This thread is making me feel less crazy. :)

LOL - my husband cannot stand teeth clicking on silverware. I can't even hear it!

Not only is this thread cheering me up about me; it's letting me know I married someone who also has sensory issues, which goes a LONG way to explaining certain things about the way he wants the house cleaned. He can't STAND anything sticky. Imagine that with four kids....

But understanding why he might be that way helps me relax about it. I used to get so frustrated with him when he focused so much on keeping things clean.

BTW - I can't remember who talked about their infections from earrings. My sensitivities to earrings show themselves in that way too.

I've found my sisterhood here! I had never really put all the things that bother me together, but yes, I think I might have mild sensory issues. My SIL sells jewelry. She used to call my husband all the time to let him know about great deals they were having on a piece of jewelry in case he wanted to get them for me. I think she still doesn't understand why I don't like jewelry. I've never been able to explain it other than to say it bothers me and I can feel it sitting there all the time.

The worst, in my opinion, is sunglasses. They make me want to claw my face off! I'm glad I have perfect vision, but if it ever starts to go bad I'm pretty sure I'll have to wear contacts.

GSV - there's a new can worms!

GLASSES!!!!

I got my first pair of glasses in second grade and began having headaches almost daily then. My mom brought me in to the doctor loads of times over the years about those headaches and got no help.

At 17, I got my first pair of contacts. Hallelujah! No more headaches!

If I ever get too old for contacts I'm going to be miserable.

A heads up for your dc. Sensory issues do run in families and there are now therapies available that reduce or even eliminate the sensory problems. Sometimes it's mild, as what I've seen described here. (Yes, it seems as though most of these problems here are mild.) Sometimes it's so severe the individual falls out of his chair (inner ear - balance), is clumsy (inner ear again), can't color inside the lines (fine motor), can't be still (everthing irratates), stands on his head, constantly makes noise to cover unexpected loud noises, etc. These children are often late to sit, walk and talk. Conversely sometimes they're early to walk and may walk on tip toes to reduce the amount of their body touching things.

Please have your dc evaluated by an OT (or rare PT) experienced in SPD therapy. The earlier the intervention, the better the results. Children treated prior to age 6 generally can receive a complete cure, but major remediation is still possible prior to puberty. Mild issues may be more of a irratant, but severe issues can affect the individuals social relations and education.

Have any of you been bothered by music playing while someone is talking? In particular are you bothered when a pastor is praying or speaking and music is playing in the background? I can't focus on the prayer or whatever is being said and I can't focus on the music. I feel like running from the room due to overload.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Kathy for pointing out that sensory issues are often hereditary.

I "know" Kathy from the special needs board and she's an experienced mom of a ds with sensory issues and has a wealth of knowledge & info for other moms.

I have sensory issues--some pretty overwhelming-- and am the mom of a ds with sensory processing disorder. He has benefitted enormously from early therapy. I only wish that I had been able to get treatment as child. It may have been life changing for me.

I can't imagine what my ds would be like now if he hadn't been diagnosed and treated at an early age.