Menu

Does this sound like a fungus infection to you?

My 7 year old dd came to me 2 nights ago with a spot high up on her inner thigh. I thought at first glance that maybe the leg of her underclothes had rubbed a spot on her and that it had peeled...but now I'm thinking it must be some sort of fungus.

It does have a thin red ring. I'd say it is about as big as a dime.

The outside ring is raised.

The skin on the inside of the ring is perfectly peeled.

The color of the skin inside of the ring looks like normal skin. It is not red or discolored in anyway. It is just lighter than the skin surrounding the ring.

It is dry, and she says it is a little itchy.

It does not look scaly or irritated or oozing or anything.

It almost looks as if she had had a blister there ...as if her underclothes had rubbed her wrong, caused a blister..which had peeled, then dried up...except for the red around it.

What does this sound like to you?

Sounds like a doctor's appointment to me, because I don't suppose I can treat it with something over the counter if I don't know what it is. :rolleyes:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/ringworm/DS00489/DSECTION=2

Ask your pharmacist for a recommendation for an anti fungal. There are some that work better than others for it.

This was my first thought too (once I considered it could be a fungus) but I've never heard of all the skin being peeled off in the center. Rather I've always seen pictures of ringworm with just normal skin on the inside..or maybe a bit scaly.

The link didn't work for some reason. I'll keep looking for more pictures though.

Thanks.

My dd had something similar on her leg a couple of years ago. I called a doc friend and asked him about it because I was thinking ringworm, he said it was staph, and to put antibacterial cream on it. I did and it worked. It looked better in about 24 hrs. I'd try that, and keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse, call the doc.

My dd had something similar on her leg a couple of years ago. I called a doc friend and asked him about it because I was thinking ringworm, he said it was staph, and to put antibacterial cream on it. I did and it worked. It looked better in about 24 hrs. I'd try that, and keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse, call the doc.

Oh yuc, staph. I certainly hope not. I looked at pictures of staph and they looked really nasty. Honestly, this does not look bad. It is very clean and dry and not very red. I'll put some antibacterial cream on it just in case though...certainly can't hurt...and keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

I had this as a 20 year old and it looked exactly as you described it. It started with 1 or 2 spots and eventually, in a month or so, was everywhere but my face. At first it didn't itch but then the itching got so unbearable that I HAD to go to a doctor.

He recognized what it was by the striping of it on my back. He said I was a tiny bit old for it, usually children or teens get it. It is a virus, so nothing could be done for it except medicine for the itching, a pill and cream. Don't have any idea what they were, but the pill worked well. Probably an antihistamine? It went away after a while. I was told that I wouldn't get it again, but for several years after that, I got a couple spots, but they didn't itch.

Just a possibility.

Laura