Menu

Schoolhouse Rock - do kids still like this?

Michelle T

I remember Schoolhouse Rock with great fondness, as I'm sure most of you "ladies of a certain age" do. I see that Amazon has the complete collection for $14.99 and I'm wondering if this might be a fun way for DS to get some practice with parts of speech, history, etc.

Do any of your kids like SR? Or is the dated, early 70's style animation too out of date for today's kids?

Michelle T

Is it the 30 year anniversary one? We got it from the library and my boys 4 & 7 loved it! I may have to get a copy!

I remember Schoolhouse Rock with great fondness, as I'm sure most of you "ladies of a certain age" do. I see that Amazon has the complete collection for $14.99 and I'm wondering if this might be a fun way for DS to get some practice with parts of speech, history, etc.

Do any of your kids like SR? Or is the dated, early 70's style animation too out of date for today's kids?

Michelle T

One year, my sister gave the dvd to every member of the family. It was a hoot for the grown ups. My kids loved it. The p.s. nieces and nephews thought it was cheesy (but they were also at the age that anything their parents thought was cool was definitely lame.)

We have the cd's and have listened to them in the car. DD loves the Interjections one.

I loved those cartoons when I was a kid, but you know what? They never showed them in Canada, so my dh had no clue! I got the 30th Anniversary compilation DVD's and not only does my ds8 love them, so does my dh. Ds can sing his way through all the grammar and math easily, but his fave is Interplanet Janet... she's a galaxy girl. ;)

They watched it a few times and there a few they watched repeatedly-my 8 yo boys at the time loved The Great American Melting Pot. :)

What is kind of neat, though, when they forget what an adjective is and I say, "He was a hairy bear, he was a scary bear, we got out of his lair." (The adjectives one is *my* favorite.)

There are a few songs on SR that I didn't know existed like Mr. Morton (i like that one too) and the Prepositions song. I think the 30th anniversary edition SR songs are classics and well worth having.

Hello!

I have a ds7,ds10 and dd12 and they all love school house rock. I think they enjoy it not just for its own intrinsic value but because mom enjoys it so much! We have had a lot of fun watching them together and have been know to break into song when one of the concepts come up in our schooling (or any other time).

Alisa

"He was a hairy bear, he was a scary bear, we got out of his lair." (The adjectives one is *my* favorite.)

It just doesn't get any better than that, does it? It makes me all teary-eyed, remembering my childhood.

We got the 30th anniversary edition from Netflix over the Christmas break, and while I knew my dd9 would love it, I didn't expect my dd13 to be just as enthralled! Of course I had to tell them about 'back in the day' when we had educational little ditties between our cartoons. And the "Unpack your Adjectives" was their absolute favorite. We still sing it! I really need to own that DVD.