Menu

Where should we live from May-August? Give me your favorites!

DH just said that we can rent somewhere from May - August (anywhere in the US or Canada). His only requirements are a really good library, high speed wireless internet, and a quiet room where he can write.

My requirements are safe, clean, historic sites/cultural centers within a drive, outdoor opportunities. A small but tidy house in a nice area for a reasonable rent.

Where should we go? Where would you go? We will have a car and have already traveled much of the east coast and some mid-west.

Thanks.

DH just said that we can rent somewhere from May - August (anywhere in the US or Canada). His only requirements are a really good library, high speed wireless internet, and a quiet room where he can write.

My requirements are safe, clean, historic sites/cultural centers within a drive, outdoor opportunities. A small but tidy house in a nice area for a reasonable rent.

Where should we go? Where would you go? We will have a car and have already traveled much of the east coast and some mid-west.

Thanks.

I don't know about reasonable rent, but I would go to Vancouver BC or Nova Scotia. Not hot, nice long days.

They are only a couple of hours away from Seattle and close to Vancouver BC.

The biking, kayaking, whale watching and sailing on the islands is heavenly and you are pretty close to the northern Cascades for beautiful hikes.

Lopez Island is my favorite.

We haven't been there for a few years, and just thinking about it makes me awfully wistful!

My suggestion would be somewhere on Cape Cod! Plenty of nature, hiking, outdoor recreation. You can go into Boston easily, where there is History galore! I love the beach out near Wellfleet (National Seashore), and the whale watches out of Provincetown are spectacular! This is where I would spend my summer if I could, but I am an East Coast Girl!:)

You can rent a decent house for about $1000 and it has everything and more than you describe!

It is just over the river (15 minutes) from Portland, Oregon.

OMSI

ZOO

Portland Art Museum

Children's Museum

Oregon Historical Society just to name a few :0)

More Lewis and Clark/Oregon Trail History that you would ever have time to see.

A lot of fine art opportunities

Very Homeschool friendly

Mild weather May in the 70's- August averages in the 80-90's.

Many, many parks

One of the largest and most used library systems in the United States.

Oregon has no sales taxes so shopping is less expensive but Washington is cheaper to live in.

One hour from the coast, mountains, dessert, snow skiing/boarding,

Thanks.

come on over to one of the sweetest spots on the West Coast. Fulfills all your requirements - except the reasonable rent...:D...but then *reasonable* is debatable, isn't it?

WOW - what an exciting decision to have to make. My first choice is always the Outer Banks - but I don't think that meets your dh's requirements. My second thought was to rent somewhere on the Jersey Shore - close to NY and Philly, not too hot and you should be able to find something reasonably priced since you're going for a longer time than the average vacationer. And, then I think of New England ... and then the NW which is amazing and beautiful ... or maybe San Francisco? pricey, but ...

Good luck making a decision. I hope you'll keep us posted of your adventures.

I envy you, having the freedom to spend a few months experiencing a different corner of the world! But where to go, with so many great choices?! That would be difficult. This area is gorgeous; summers offer long days and temperate weather. You can send me a private message if you want more info. You'll have to let us know where you decide to go!

I just met a woman who moved here to write! That said, I would not recommend it because the weather is really lousy. We don't usually get above 75 degrees F. except for a few days here and there. Our average summer weather is more like 60 degrees.

By the way, "here" is Juneau, Alaska. The writer is not distracted at all (see above) and is getting lots done. She has had two books published (fiction) with great reviews. Her child, however, does not have the opportunity to play outside very often. I think her husband is counting the days when they can move back to Oregon......

I agree with the (many) posters who recommend Oregon. Somewhere within driving distance of Portland. We are members of OMSI, and they have a lovely zoo as well. There is someone on this board who lives in Terrace, BC. That would be excellent for the writer in the family, and would be good for the others for about a month! It will not be an easy task to fulfill all of your requirements.

Signing off from the snow, I mean rain, oh now it's snowing again!

Julie

We just visited! Their avg. temps in the summer are in the 80's and dry. If you want to drive, 1 hour north and you're at the Grand Canyon. 45 min. south and you're at Sedona with neat rock slides for swimming and sliding! All over Flag there are wonderful hiking trails, museums, university for university fun, all kinds of outside fun. Can you tell that I want to move there!

I vote for Colorado! While I'm a hot,hot,hot summer girl, I love spending a week or so in the mountains. A cute cottage, high speed internet, and gorgeous backdrop are a must.

There's something thrilling about spending an afternoon hiking by a lake, and then having lunch in the snow a few thousand feet higher :)

Summer in the Twin Cities is great. It can get hot in July but not like Texas! Major metropolitan area with every interest you can think of, yet drive a half hour and you are in the country. Rents are really variable depending on the suburb and the size of the home. We have a great library system, thousands of miles of walking/biking trails, over 13,000 lakes to swim and canoe, wildlife, arts, museums, playgrounds. Just don't visit now, it's cold:eek:!

I'd go somewhere that has warm water. The ocean in New England, except for the little bit that is within the Gulf Stream, can literally turn your skin blue, it is so cold.

Except for water temps, though, I'd choose Massachusetts -- it's got everything, beaches, mountains, historical sites, museums, fantastic libraries with a great interlibrary loan system, and lots of fun places to go. It gets hot for only a couple of weeks in the summer and the humidity is low.

RC

This is a sleepy quiet town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland about 30 minutes from Salisbury and Ocean City. The library is nice (not huge) but interlibrary loan is easy and free and you can get any book in a Maryland library deliver there free.

Activities close by

Furnace Town Historic site has lots of activities inthe summer including tours (it is a very very mini Williamsburg) this is the oldest Iron Furance in the US and heirloom tomato tasting, hiking tours, archeological digs you can partcipate in etc. They have a website

You could go to the pony swim at Chicoteague in July.

The beaches of Assateague and Ocean City are close by.

Pocmoke State Park has kayaking trips you can take.

Pemberton Historic site in Salisbury has some summer activities.

Snow Hill is very quiet and a nice sleepy little town.

I'm noticing that there aren't many votes for the east coast, so that's mine. Someone suggested Massachusettes, another Jersey or NC Shores. Finally, there's a vote for Snow Hill, MD. I would seriously investigate Eastern Shore, MD, which is where Snow Hill is. You'll be close to scenic beaches like Assateague Island (wild ponies!), and more conventional beaches like Ocean City. But, you'll also be within a day's drive of Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia. Williamsburg is within reach as well, and you could shoot to The Big Apple for the weekend if you wanted to. The Chesapeake region has many historical sites of interest, lots of rural quiet areas, but access to larger places and warm beaches that might interest you and the kids (while dh sits in his quiet room to write! :D ).

Maybe you've traveled enough of the e. coast that you'd rather go west this year. But, there's my $.02.

Doran

WOW - what an exciting decision to have to make. My first choice is always the Outer Banks - but I don't think that meets your dh's requirements. My second thought was to rent somewhere on the Jersey Shore - close to NY and Philly, not too hot and you should be able to find something reasonably priced since you're going for a longer time than the average vacationer. And, then I think of New England ... and then the NW which is amazing and beautiful ... or maybe San Francisco? pricey, but ...

Good luck making a decision. I hope you'll keep us posted of your adventures.

Cavendish on Prince Edward Island. You can tour the Green Gables Museum and stroll on the beach and there should be a good library in Charlottetown.

They are only a couple of hours away from Seattle and close to Vancouver BC.

The biking, kayaking, whale watching and sailing on the islands is heavenly and you are pretty close to the northern Cascades for beautiful hikes.

Lopez Island is my favorite.

We haven't been there for a few years, and just thinking about it makes me awfully wistful!

Oooo yes! We honeymooned there and camped there quite a bit. That is a great place as far as peace and quiet!

We lived in Vancouver, WA for 2 years (and other places in the PNW, too) and I think it fits the bill for you. If you wanted to be just a little further away from city life, there are nice small cities nearby. :) I'd also consider the San Juan Islands!

Definitely somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. We like it here in TX, but we sure miss the PNW.