Menu

How many foreign languages can I teach???

2sweetgirls

My dh is stationed in Germany until 2012. My girls (7 and 9 yro) are coming out of ps and have been learning Spanish since Kindergarten. I want them to learn Latin as I think it is the most important for their future studies.

My question is, would you continue to study all three languages? Latin is non-negotiable. We are only going to be in Germany for 3 years so maybe we should just learn some basics and continue with Spanish? Or, since they have a decent foundation in Spanish maybe we could drop Spanish until we get back to the States? I don't think we'd have time to cover 3 languages and I feel it would be overwhelming. :willy_nilly:

Any suggestions? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

As you have such a wonderful opportunity to learn German, I would make the most of it. You could cut down your Spanish and Latin to twice a week each (to keep them ticking over) and go full ahead with the German. FWIW Hobbes does French five times a week, Greek (his choice) twice and Mandarin twice. When he starts Latin in the autumn, French will go down to twice too, whilst Latin will go up to four or five.

Best wishes

Laura

Do you love German culture? I've found that families who love the culture end up enjoying the language.

After you have covered the basics, you will be in the country and know if your family will have much opportunity to speak to Germans. We are on the border and the folks in our village speak a dialect of German. We go on day trips often that take us to the surrounding countries. Knowing German sometimes helps, but not always even just a few miles from the border!

We should have stayed with Spanish. ;) I believe you should pick a language that your kids will likely use in the future. Does your family hope for more overseas assignments after Germany?

Edited by TMarie

I wouldn't say we are in "love" with German culture any more than any other European country, just excited about living in Europe and exposing the kids to as much as we can. Dh and I ARE in love with the history here.:001_smile: This will be our families only chance to be stationed in Europe due to the nature of his job, so no, we won't be coming back. One of our good friend's wife is German and has offered to help us with the language. I just don't think we will be able to work with her more than once or twice per month due to her job. I would hate to see their Spanish fall away. I see it being more useful to them in the future than German, unless they decide to move to Europe one day and study. Maybe there is a way we could make it all work like Laura suggested. I'll have to keep letting simmer in my brain and talk to my hubby about it.

~ Europe is one big amazing field trip! If you are going to be more central Germany, your experience with the language may be very different from ours.

I hope you get more responses on learning another foreign language.....

Edited by TMarie

I think you should prioritize and decide on your goals. For example, could this be a great opportunity to learn German well since a) you have a need to use it (necessity is a great motivator -- otherwise it's sort of artificial) and b) you have the opportunity to really be exposed. On the other hand, perhaps you don't care about German and don't see a need or use to learn more than the basics. In which case, learning some basics in German could be about a) seeing first-hand that people around the world speak different languages and b) just learning to get by / exposure to a bit of language.