Menu

House swap anyone?

This might sound like a crazy idea but here goes...

Anyone interested in swapping houses for July 4th weekend? We were thinking it would be fun to go away for the weekend and thought this might be a cheap way to do it.

We live outside Washington DC in Northern Virginia so lots of stuff going on here for the 4th. House has 3 bedrooms...can sleep 6 easily. We do have 2 cats so you'd have to be ok with that. We live close to the Metro but not walking distance, you would need to use your car to get around.

We're open to going anywhere, 4 hours driving distance from DC is about the limit.

No judgments on cleanliness of house allowed from either party. ;) If you are interested send me a PM or e-mail and we can talk details.

What a FANTASTIC idea! Are you sure you don't want to drive to Austin? ;)

Unfortunately around here it takes like 8 hours just to get out of the state, but I'd love to consider this option for getting over to New Mexico and certainly into Colorado.

Good luck! If I lived closer I would SO take you up on it!

That is a neat idea. My husband would never go for it (he hates DC and we are 6 hours from you anyway), but the idea is a grand one! I know that people do it a lot for the NASCAR race that comes to Bristol. People actually leave their homes for the weekend and either rent out or trade homes with out of towners that want to see the race.

Maybe we should start a house swap on the WTM forums. I sure would LOVE to do this!!! When we were building this house last year I begged my hubby to allow me to start house-swapping. He is VERY timid about it (out of fear), but he said yes! So now I have my in to try to set something up. I've already started gathering maps of our area, brochures for places to visit, etc.

We don't usually like to take vacations during the summer months. We always take a vacation the week of Memorial Day and the week of Labor Day, but this year my hubby has to be at work both of those weeks so our vacations are TOTALLY up in the air! I'm game to start it if anyone else is interested.

Angie

Alice,

Too bad you're so far from us or we would consider it (at least I would)! We are in Indiana. Here is a link to something you may be interested in though. I would like to put our house on there, but I've been waiting to see more go up that we could swap with.

www.hsneighbor.com

Thanks for the website! That looks great. My dh grew up in Indianapolis.

And we'd be thrilled to go to Austin, San Fransisco, Michigan or Germany. ;) But this year I have to save vacation time for maternity leave so we don't have much. That's why we were thinking of the short 3 day weekend over July 4th...and staying fairly close to home. Otherwise we're pretty game to travel anywhere.

Good to know people are interested, even if it doesn't work out this time.

So for those interested in the idea of house swapping, I created a new social group. The idea would be to have a list of people interested in swapping and then individuals can contact each other and work out the details. But I thought there might be people interested in having a central list. The social group is called "House Swap". :)

I guess a long flight puts me out of the running..but that area is awesome. I miss seeing Washington, DC. Hope you find someone to swap with...what an awesome idea!:D

We're a bit too far for you too - sounds fantastic though! I'd love to meet WTMers and especially boardies in real life! But I guess if you're swapping, then you'd leave the key and not actually meet up??

How do you join the social group? I would love to join!

We are also listed on the helmtravel site and just set up a swap for this June with a family in NC. We live just outside of DC in Maryland. Helmtravel is nice because all the listings are from homeschoolers and the woman who runs it verifies that you actually own your home by checking the property records etc.

Beth

But I'm in Florida. Keep me in mind for another time. I have 2 left at home... one 12 and one will be in college in August. He loves government, has been active with Teenpact, has campaigned, but we've never toured DC. We'd have to work around a spring break or summer, etc for him. We're near Clearwater/Tampa. 1 1/2 hours from Disney and not far from beaches, Busch Gardens, etc.