Menu

Do you think that caffeine keeps people awake?

I don't know how many cans of Code Red Mountain Dew my daughter (age 19) had yesterday, but she did not sleep well last night at all. I told her maybe she needs to cut down on how much pop she drinks. Do you think this is an accurate assessment of the situation?

I don't know how many cans of Code Red Mountain Dew my daughter (age 19) had yesterday, but she did not sleep well last night at all. I told her maybe she needs to cut down on how much pop she drinks. Do you think this is an accurate assessment of the situation?

Ah, yes. But my 19 y/o daughter self would see absolutely no logic in your conclusion.

Cause? Effect? Pshaw. That's for everyone else. Not I. I am invincible woman, untouched by wind, weather, danger, or caffeine.

Very accurate. If you think it would do any good, you might want to talk to her about the dangers of drinking a large quantity of those "energy" drinks. There is so much more caffeine in those than in regular soda. A kid at our umbrella school had too much caffeine one day and ended up in a scary situation that required he be immediately transported to the ER. Those high caffeine drinks make me really nervous because kids don't seem to realize that they can pose a serious health risk if over-consumed.

I used to be invincible too -- an invincible night owl. I used to drink a lot of coffee during all hours I was awake. Then I stopped drinking coffee for awhile and discovered I get sleepy a lot earlier than 3 a.m. So much for invincibility.

Cause? Effect? Pshaw. That's for everyone else. Not I. I am invincible woman, untouched by wind, weather, danger, or caffeine.

I think caffeine effects different people different ways. When I drink any caffeine, I get relaxed. The more I drink, the better I sleep.

It doesn't keep my dh awake, but when he drinks caffeine, he has to keep waking up to pee :) Then, he doesn't feel like he's had a good night's sleep. So, indirectly, the loss of sleep is attributed to the caffeine. More likely, it's the way his internal system processes liquids before bedtime.

Yes, it's entirely possible that caffeine keeps your dd awake. But first, I would check to make sure she didn't have anything pressing on her mind. That is the only thing that will keep me from sleeping and I keep a close eye on my teens for that reason.

Very accurate. If you think it would do any good, you might want to talk to her about the dangers of drinking a large quantity of those "energy" drinks. There is so much more caffeine in those than in regular soda. A kid at our umbrella school had too much caffeine one day and ended up in a scary situation that required he be immediately transported to the ER. Those high caffeine drinks make me really nervous because kids don't seem to realize that they can pose a serious health risk if over-consumed.

Yes, I have had this discussion with her. I don't think she has even had an energy drink in her life so that is a good thing. :)