Menu

What would you do if...

jabuford

your son, 9yrs, old tells you that he doesn't think he isn't getting an education? He told me the things he wants changed and oh my has he put me in my place. I feel that I don't need to be his teacher. I feel like he needs more of a challenge. How would you feel? What would you do? I wish this school year was over. 11 more long weeks, UGH!

I would go through your curriculum subject by subject and see what he likes and dislikes about each. I would also give him input into helping you find different curriculum if need be.

My ds10 started developing real opinions on his education this year. I have used some of his suggestions to guide our studies.

Along with all the pertinent caveats that he was being sincere and approaching you with the intention of fixing something he didn't think is working, I'd say, "Wow, Mom! Your son will t-a-l-k to you. He trusts you, and he's open with you. That's fantastic!"

Then I'd take that ball and run with it.

What is he asking for? What did he say that leaves you feeling you shouldn't be his teacher? Is it that you thought all was well and don't like to hear it's not? (Pride?) Is it that you're not sure you can provide the things he asked you for? (Fear?) Is it that you don't want to? I'm not sure where you want to go from here, or if you need to take a deep breath and let it sink in a bit before you make any decisions.

Personally, it can be hard to swallow hearing from one of my children that I'm not all that... but I have found that when I can keep my mouth shut and my ears and heart open, they're usually right (or pretty close) and they have given me many opportunities to be a better mother/teacher. I appreciate that, and hope they will continue to be open and sharing with me as they get older.