Menu

Waiver of out of state tution with ACT of 30 ????

michellem

Well, I'm not sure where you live or where you're looking, but around here we have the Western University Exchange which waives out of state tuition with a much lower score than a 30! From University of Idaho's site:

Western Undergraduate Exchange

Save more than $40,000 over 5 years.

GUARANTEED with these minimum qualifications:

Freshmen

• 3.0 high school GPA and 20 ACT or 950 SAT
  • 2.0 University of Idaho GPA for renewal*

Transfers

• 2.80 transfer GPA and 14 or more transferable credits
  • 2.0 University of Idaho GPA for renewal*

I'm not sure where all it's good--I think WA, OR, ID, AZ, some others but not CA?

Maybe eastern or southern states have something similar.

Yes, schools can basically do whatever they want with regard to money, in my opinion. I've been talking to lots of parents of seniors the past two years and many of them have been offered various sorts of reductions in fees, such as out of state waivers, if they come to particular schools. For some, it's academics that matter. Others offer such things for athletes coming in who might not otherwise qualify for athletic scholarships, etc. Now, most of these have been in my area of the country, the eastern U.S., so I'm not sure what the rest of the country does. With the economy being what it is right now, I'm thinking that more schools will join the game, rather than less as we move into next year....

States that participate in the WUE (from their website):

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

Not all institutions in these states partipate in the program, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've just recently heard of this. A woman at our church was talking about it. One of the schools her daughter is applying to has this policy of granting in-state tuition for high SAT scores. Sorry, can't remember which school it was--pretty sure it was in AL or SC, though.

Cinder

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I read (somewhere) about that was if you didn't have an in-state U that had the degree you wanted. The article was talking about Alabama & Florida so maybe Tennessee is in on it too. I agree w/mcconnellboys, colleges are a business & as the economy tightens, they'll get more creative in attracting good students.

• 2 weeks later...