Menu

horse people==vet day today

Is it ok if I link your blog under my "Equestrian Blog Links"? Hee hee, I hope so, because I just did it. ;)

Oh yeah... sheath cleaning. Ugh. That's another thing I don't pay the vet to do... though sometimes I wish I didn't have to do that job. I'll have to write a blog post about it so I don't offend other readers' sensibilities with this discussion! LOL.

Sure, that is fine.

http://shadysidefarm.blogspot.com/ Here is a blog you might enjoy--fiber arts, farming, a few horses, sheep, a llama, etc.

Normally I would just do the sheath stuff myself--well, my friend said I WILL learn to do it myself--but with the vet there today and Spy being brand new I thought I would have the vet take a look/feel. We didn't know when he had been cleaned last but thankfully it was either fairly recently or he doesn't get very dirty.

His previous owner that owned him for the past year didn't know how to catch him out of the pasture, tack him up, lift his feet, etc. She didn't know what a bridle was and told me that he rode in "the purple kind" when I asked what type/size saddle he rode in. Hopefully she will be learning more with the 2 new horses she just bought to replace him.

Our horse vet says that unless you have a reason to do this to leave it alone. You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

Our gelding when we were growing up NEVER had his cleaned, and he died a healthy old horse close to 30.

I also refuse to pay a chiropractor to adjust my horse. (Getting out my extinguisher)

Our horse vet says that unless you have a reason to do this to leave it alone. You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

Our gelding when we were growing up NEVER had his cleaned, and he died a healthy old horse close to 30.

I also refuse to pay a chiropractor to adjust my horse. (Getting out my extinguisher)

LOL, no I like that advice! I just have one gelding that is really old, and one that is really... don't look if this is going to gross you out... greasy. Those two need attention about once a month. The greasy one gets all swollen and uncomfortable if he isn't cleaned. The others can go a lot longer than that in between cleanings. No way am I paying a vet to clean them as often as the greasy one needs it!

Ok... that was the gist of what I would have blogged anyway... so sorry if anyone finds this totally gross. It really is pretty gross.

Just one more bit of info:

I have found that you can use this product: Wound Relief Lotion as a sheath cleanser and not have to worry about rinsing it off. That makes the job easier & more comfortable for the horse. It also makes cleaning "Mr. Hand" a lot easier afterwards as well.

No flames here. Our vet is one that says, if it needs cleaning, clean it, if not, leave it alone. Just since Spy is brand new to me I wanted him to check.

Oh, on the chiropractor stuff, the lady just called me and is coming out the end of March. She does chiropractic work, massage, etc. A little "interesting" in some of her ideas but it does seem to help the horses.

I think it really helps keep them from rubbing their hind ends and breaking off the hairs on their tails. Our horses tails are beautiful so I get out the gloves regularly (we have 7 geldings and 1 stallion). By the way, I also clean between the teats on our mares. Same thing - seems to help with the broken tails.

Do you guys also bean? I don't care what anyone says, having that little bean in there cannot be comfortable for any horse.

My dh jokes that I should start my own business. Clean the Equine Bean. He thinks I'll make a fortune.

TK

I think it really helps keep them from rubbing their hind ends and breaking off the hairs on their tails. Our horses tails are beautiful so I get out the gloves regularly (we have 7 geldings and 1 stallion). By the way, I also clean between the teats on our mares. Same thing - seems to help with the broken tails.

Do you guys also bean? I don't care what anyone says, having that little bean in there cannot be comfortable for any horse.

My dh jokes that I should start my own business. Clean the Equine Bean. He thinks I'll make a fortune.

TK

Yes-- getting the bean is the trickiest part!

LOL, you probably could make a ton of $$. :)

How funny! We did all that stuff here today too! Sheath, teeth, shots, coggins, worming. Tough day for the boys. They still haven't finished their morning hay. :( (They can't eat hay well right after their teeth are smoothed down.) And then, my little donkey was trembling this evening! I've never seen a horse tremble! I called the vet to see if it could be a reaction to the shot. He said possibly. So Eeyore is wearing his blanket tonight for the first time. I've never even heard of a donkey being blanketed! But I just bought him one a few weeks ago. It's way too big for him; it hangs down past his knees. And that reminds me -- I need to go outside and check on them.

My friend's donkey was WAY back in her stall yesterday, making SURE she wasn't getting a turn at anything. It was her best buddy, Reward, (my friend's Arab) that had his teeth dremeled. The other 2 horses were outside, not really caring, but Betsy would NOT stay outside while someone was messing with her "man".

My friend's donkey was WAY back in her stall yesterday, making SURE she wasn't getting a turn at anything. It was her best buddy, Reward, (my friend's Arab) that had his teeth dremeled. The other 2 horses were outside, not really caring, but Betsy would NOT stay outside while someone was messing with her "man".

I have a small standard sized donkey named Violet. Her new best friend in the whole entire world is Opie our 8 month old cremello stallion. She is stuck to him like glue! I rather like it because it keeps her off my heels, but sometimes I can just imagine him saying "give me some space - would you!" I had no idea that Donkey's get so attached to other animals or humans.

I'd be curious to kow what was causing your donkey to tremble. Was it cold? Violet seems to be the sturdiest animal we have with regards to cold. Keep us posted ok?

TK

Just be careful unless you want a "little one" around. Not sure how young a stallion can breed but I have often heard it is younger than the owners expected.

It is funny as Reward is an Arab gelding that was used on cows before he became my friend's trail horse. He will cut and herd to make sure that NO ONE messes with his girl. He is fine with the people coming and getting her, just no other critters can get to his girl.

I have no idea what caused him to tremble. ?? I blanketed him overnight -- the first time he'd ever been blanketed as far as I know. (It wasn't all that cold when he was trembling. Around 50 degrees, but with a cold wind.)

Everyone seems OK this morning. The horse is still having trouble with hay, but both are eating grain. I spent a lot of time with them this morning.

I don't know if the trembling was shivering or muscle tremors. It was only on his hind quarters. I've never seen anything like it. ??

BTW, my donkey is also a miniature, and he is totally bonded with my horse. If I take the horse out, the donkey wails and grieves. Fortunately, the horse doesn't call back to the donkey.

What kind of horse is your cremello stallion?

What kind of horse is your cremello stallion?

He is a quarter horse with really old school bloodlines - King, Wimpy, Cutter Bill, etc. We are hoping to begin a breeding program using him as "the stud". Of course, he is 8 months old and not really interested in all that business yet. He is happy to hang out with the donkey and frolic in the pasture!

TK